cabinet damage

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
triathlon61
Latte

cabinet damage

Post by triathlon61 »

I have my machine under my kitchen cabinets (made of MDF). The machine generates enough heat to keep the cabinets at a constant warm temperature, even keeping the contents of the cabinet above, very warm. Should I add a metal plate under the cabinet or is everything ok?
md
Niko

Post by Niko »

how many inches is the clearance of your cabinets?
triathlon61
Latte

Post by triathlon61 »

There is about 3 or 4 inches.
md
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sorry, I wasn't clear...I meant what's the clearance between your cabinets and the counter top. That's ok, I'll get up and measure mine real quick.
Hang on...
OK, mine's 4 7/8" measuring from the cup warmer (top cover) to the bottom of the cabinet.
I was asking because I run my machine a lot, it heats up the cabinets nicely but no damage so far after 6 months of use.
I wouldn't put any metal beneath your cabinets, it might act as a heatsink and actually dissipate into your cabinets more.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

update:
If anything, I'd insulate my steam boiler if I were you.
Even though I was against it, some people on this forum have done discussed it and actaully have done it. The only reason I was against is because I love the cup warmer, other than that I'm for it to protect valuable cabinets (mine are old so I don't care).
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

What you may want to do is, if your cabinets have a 2" lip, put a 2" peice of hard insulation in the square. Mineral wool or the like should work, as would expanded foam. As long as it is 2" or less thick, you won't be able to see it without looking up from underneath, and it should drop the temps quite significantly.
Martin

Post by Martin »

FWIT///
It's not an issue with my V2; but my previous Isomac Tea was under a cabinet.. I drilled several holes in the bottom shelf (completely invisible) and quite a lot of heated air vented up through the cabinet. Nice, actually, ---- because of the pour-over, I didn't keep cups on the warming tray, but in the shelf just above.
Martin
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Martin wrote:FWIT///
It's not an issue with my V2; but my previous Isomac Tea was under a cabinet.. I drilled several holes in the bottom shelf (completely invisible) and quite a lot of heated air vented up through the cabinet. Nice, actually, ---- because of the pour-over, I didn't keep cups on the warming tray, but in the shelf just above.
Martin
Good 1. I'll remember to keep my brandy glass up their.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Brilliant, jackiechang. I have my wine glasses on the lowest shelf above my Vivaldi and the snifters much higher. Time to swap.

Return to “General Q&A”