New Mini owner steaming issues.

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
jeff0093

New Mini owner steaming issues.

Post by jeff0093 »

Hello all,

This is my first post. I'm about 5 days in with my new Baratza Vario and my new Mini. BTW the Vario is really awsome if anyone is on the fence order it. I had a PID Silvia before and my microfoam was pretty good but could always be better. The first two days with the Mini the steamer was very powerful, but I wasn't getting great micro foam but it was ok for the first couple of days (new machine and all). After about a pound and half of bean I got the grinder, my tamp and shot timer dialed in and it's producing great shots. Over the last three days I can't steam to save my life, I mean really "I can't get any foam at all". The boiler light turns on right away after I purge the system (2 1/2 second) this morning I couldn't even get a swirl going in a 12 oz. pitcher after the machine was on for about a 35 mins. the pump is turning on and refilling, but I"m not sure if the boiler light should be turning on so soon, the steaming power half way into steaming seams to have no power? any ideas. Also side note I upgraded to a nonburn steam wand and a 4 hole .9 tip.
JohnB

Re: New Mini owner steaming issues.

Post by JohnB »

At what pressure does the boiler heating element turn off & what is the s/b pressure reading when you seem to have no steam?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here's how your steaming pressure should drop off with the Mini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNI9x74MwZA

If you're not getting this, check the steam lines and lever steam cut-off mechanism for metal chips. I found one left over in my hot water dispenser screen so I suspect they may get into the steam lines as well. Seems La Spaziale has trouble getting metals chips out of the sealed steam boiler when they cut the threads in the top.
jeff0093

Wet steam?

Post by jeff0093 »

I played with it alot and everything seams to be working fine. I still can't make a capo with any
of the three milks I have. All I can do is heat milk that's it. I swear it was fine the first two days I had it. I just check the probe for the water height in the boiler and it seamed high to me, compare to the picture Jason sent me from CC. ( yes great service on a holiday ) my question is about the white Teflon piece should that be lowered also or just push down the probe as far as I can without loosening the larger brass nut. Thanks for the help Jeff- Also how would it act if I had wet steam?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sounds like a water probe issue alright. I've never needed to adjust mine so I can't help you.

Let me know what Jason says about the correct boiler water height. I'd like to check mine as well.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I played with the probe height on my S1 & I doubt that is the issue here. If it's too high you will get wet steam which will make it difficult to produce perfect micro foam but it won't necessarily reduce your steaming power. Even raising it a 1/4"-3/8" had little overall effect as you are only adding a couple ounces to the boiler. Are you adding air during the initial part of your steaming? Did the problem start after you installed the No Burn wand or was it installed since the beginning? If nothing else changed & you lost steaming power after 3 days you probably have a metal chip partially clogging the line.
jeff0093

Seems better this morning.

Post by jeff0093 »

I think it's more of a combo of the non steam arm and the 4 hole tip. It was alot better after I moved down the probe tip but maybe it's just me. I still can't get it to role good in the 12 oz. pitcher but maybe I need to forget everything from my Silvia and start over or try another pitcher. The gauge and the steaming power was fine today. I still have a long way to go to get the milk textured.

BTW: no Capo ART today I was just excited it didn't look like it came out of a microwave like the last two days.

Endo

Post by Endo »

The Mini is a very difficult steaming machine to master.

Typically, you would like to start off with a lower steam power for stretching and increase the power for a good roll (mix). The lever on the Mini means it instantly delivers full power and the small boiler means your pressure will quickly decrease (when you want it to increase).

Over the last year I've managed to work out a technique that delivers adequate microfoam, but thick, pro Latte art foam may never be possible. The new slower no-burn 4 hole tip has got me the closest yet.
jeff0093

Thanks for the help guys.

Post by jeff0093 »

Thanks Endo and John B for all your help. I'm wondering if I need to just leave it alone and practice or bail on this no burn wand and 4 hole tip. I don't use whole milk all the time, but it looks like my only option right now. Do you guys recommend any other pitchers to help the learning curve I have a 12 oz. and 20 oz. Strait sides right now? John B what part of CT do you live in? Jeff-
Endo

Post by Endo »

I've tried all wand and tip combinations and even made a couple of my own. Here's what I'd recommend:

Just stick with the stock setup and practice for at least 6 months. There are a million position variables in the pitcher you'll need to work out and they can make a huge difference. You also will need this time to break yourself of all your old "single hole, slow steaming" habits.

Start as simple as possible: 12 oz straight sided pitcher, half-full, tip in the center, straight down and 1/4' under the surface. Leave it there the whole time (until 150 F). This should produce decent results. If not, find better milk.

After that, if you want to further perfect things, you can hunt around a little for the sweet spots of your particular pitcher. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right distance to the side or corner of the pitcher to give you that perfect roll. (The longer S5 wand can sometimes help if you need to use that lower pitcher corner, but ditch the no-burn. The angle is all wrong).

My all time favorite steaming advice: You can speed up this whole process a lot if you practice with water with one drop of dishwashing soap added. It produces microfoam that is almost identical to milk (but costs nothing).

Good luck!
JohnB

Re: Thanks for the help guys.

Post by JohnB »

jeff0093 wrote: Do you guys recommend any other pitchers to help the learning curve I have a 12 oz. and 20 oz. Strait sides right now? John B what part of CT do you live in? Jeff-

I don't know about helping the learning curve but its hard to go wrong with the Motta pitchers. I'm just east of Danielson about 2 miles from R.I. The opposite side from you but if your ever going to be out this way let me know.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”