First use problems with boiler

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
jdg

First use problems with boiler

Post by jdg »

just received a two year old mini bought from Chris. Upon initial setup following directions to fill boiler, i was surprised when water immediately came out of the grouphead. I assumed since chris's note said that he'd tested it and that their might be some residual water, the boiler might not have been empty when it arrived. After this i proceeded to the initial startup, holding the on/off down for three seconds and awaited the boiler to warm. My ideal temp light (preprogramed to 94 i think) flashed along with the boiler light, just like the manual said. But when the solid lights slowly came on, proceeding all the way up to 94c, the boiler light never stopped flashing, and the machine started making a new, slightly scary internal sound. I immediately turned it off, and repeated this process a few times, the last time braving a single cup button press to see if it will alleviate the dreaded noise. nothing happened. its friday night. didn't notice problem until after CC closed. Can't imagine not using this machine all weekend (i've been very much looking forward to this for quite some time) Anybody have any ideas? Otherwise, i'll probably suffer through the weekend so as not to potentially damage the machine. Also, i attempted to turn off the boiler, but to no avail. light just kept flashing.
jdg

Re: First use problems with boiler

Post by jdg »

just got a call back from Chris' Coffee (10pm friday night) and he held my hand through the process. Noise with nothing out of the ordinary, just new to me. Kudos to CC for stellar service.
look forward to waking up in the morning.

dg
JohnB

Re: First use problems with boiler

Post by JohnB »

Glad to hear you got it sorted out so quickly; you can't beat CC for service backup. The steam boiler will make some quiet gurgling/popping noises as it warms up. If you get scale build up in there those noises get much louder.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”