Mini I versus Mini II

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
bamaster

Mini I versus Mini II

Post by bamaster »

What is the difference between the original Mini Vivaldi and the Mini Vivaldi II?

I got my hands on the former. I can see that it does not have a dual gauge and the LED's are in 5* increments (85-120) instead of 1* increments. Anything else I should know?
Endo

Re: Mini I versus Mini II

Post by Endo »

I have a original Mini Vivaldi.

Only difference between the MIni and Mini 2 is the gauge (LaSpaziale left it out the brew gauge portion since it vibrates like crazy due to the vibe pump). You won't really miss it since the brew pressure is "set and forget". If you find you need a gauge to set your pressure using the OPV, you can buy a PF gauge or simply make one like I did for about $10.

The only other difference is only stickers (you can set the LED to either 5C or 1C increments by holding down the hot water button). If you want stickers, you can get them for about $5 from CC.
Last edited by Endo on Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamaster

Post by bamaster »

Endo wrote:I have a original Mini Vivaldi.

Only difference between the MIni and Mini 2 is the gauge (LaSpaziale left it out the brew gauge portion since it vibrates like crazy due to the vibe pump). You won't really miss it since the brew pressure is "set and forget". If you find you need a gauge to set your pressure using the OPV, you can buy a PF gauge or simply make one like I did for about $10.

The only other difference is only stickers (you can set the LED to either 5C or 1C increments by holding down the boiler button). If you want stickers, you can get them for about $5 from CC.
Yes, I was able to adjust the set value to 92*C. But is there offset differential? If I set it at 92* on the LED, is that the boiler temp? I'm not going to buy a scace device, I guess I"ll pick up a cooking thermometer.
Last edited by bamaster on Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

More (of the same) info in this thread:

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1368

There is a link to pdf doc on the Mini - very useful. It explains how offset works and how you can set it. There is another thread where people posted their offsets so you can start from the average until you can measure later on. To your last question, 92C would be the boiler temperature if offset is set to 0C.
bamaster

Post by bamaster »

GDK wrote:More (of the same) info in this thread:

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1368

There is a link to pdf doc on the Mini - very useful. It explains how offset works and how you can set it. There is another thread where people posted their offsets so you can start from the average until you can measure later on. To your last question, 92C would be the boiler temperature if offset is set to 0C.
Thank you for that. The manual I see is for the VII, though. I have a VI. Build date Dec 2009. The manual that came with the machine doesn't mention offset at all. It does tell me how to adjust temp in 1C increments, while the lamps show 5C increments. My LED shows 95C and I subtract 3C from that in my settings.

It's a little confusing with talk of swapping control boards (not what I want to do) and firmwares. I only want to do two things:

1. Program desired brew temp and offset
2. Install pre-infusion chamber (not sure if VI supports this upgrade)
On Edit: Emailed Chris at CC and he says yes, no problem installing passive pre-infusion chamber on a Mini V1. Ordered.

I was able to make some very decent espresso this morning. This surprises me since my temp is set at 92C and I assume the offset is 0C... that would mean I'm brewing at a lower temp than my Red Bird is optimized for. Being a "set it and forget it" kind a guy, maybe I should just up the temp setting and to heck with offest.

What's the average temp drop from boiler to grouphead?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I think you are missing the point:

Your machine has the latest firmware and software (mine is Nov 2008 build). Just hold down the hot water button for 10s and it becomes a Mini V2 (1C temp increments).

If you don't have a Scace, set your offset (better called "calibration") to either +3C or +4C. This is the average offset used on most machines that have been calibrated and should put you in the ball-park (+ or - 1 deg C)
Last edited by Endo on Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamaster

Post by bamaster »

Ah! I found an old thread where you discovered this yourself:
http://www.s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1072
3 yellow lights = V2, 3 green lights = V1
The above is good information to know. I pressed the hot water button for 10 seconds and I got 3 yellow flashing lights. Just to verify, I did it again and I got 3 green lights. A third time and I again got 3 yellow lights. Great! Now I'm in VII mode.

After reading the 2008 Firmware Upgrade Manual, I figured out how to set the offset temperature. I set it at 2*C. I don't have access to a Scace so I'll have to play it by taste.

I read somewhere about a Rent-a-Scace thing, that still going on?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Now you just need to buy the 1C sticker and you're all set.

By the way, the button to push for 10 sec is the "hot water" button, not boiler (I will edit my earlier comments).

Return to “Mini General Q&A”