Question about offset

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
pmRider

Question about offset

Post by pmRider »

I finally got around to checking the offset and it was set to zero. What does everyone else have theirs set to? I don't have a scace, but I used a thermocouple probe stuck directly into the against the group while pulling a couple flushes (no portafilter) and it read pretty low (87 deg with a setting of 93). Does the scace with it's restricted flow have a more realistic and accurate reading? I changed my offset to +4 and while the shots taste better, it looks like the group boiler struggles to keep the temperature. It consistently drops to just the set temp flashing. Am I off base here?
JohnB

Re: Question about offset

Post by JohnB »

+4 would be an extremely high offset!! If you purchased from CC they would have checked the offset with a Scace & corrected the factory setting if necessary. If you want to check it yourself rent the Scace/gauge package from Sakurama viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1107 & run an accurate test. For now I'd put it back to 0* & just experiment with different brew temps.
pmRider

Post by pmRider »

Well I just got some free time during the work day to call Chris Coffee and confirmed that they have been setting the mini v2 offset at +3 for the last several months. I also figured out that I had accidentally put my V2 into V1 mode by pressing the hot water button rather than the boiler button. :oops: This reset my offset to zero. I'm back in V2 mode with a +3 offset.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I thought Chris was calibrating each machine? Are you saying they told you it's repeatable enough that they are now just setting them all to +3 prior to shipping?

I don't have a Scace either, so a while ago I tried to an informal survey to find the mean offset of the forum members.

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f= ... 7a9#p13725

The answer seemed to be between +2 and +3 offset. I have mine set to +2 but I'll up it to +3 if that's what Chris is using. Whichever you choose, it's a better place to start than the 0C offset if you are uncalibrated.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”