Hello

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
deeluk

Hello

Post by deeluk »

Hey gang,

New member of the club here. Just got my new setup. An S1 and M4 stepless. Upgraded from a Silvia and Rocky. So far, very happy with the combo. Still getting things dialed in though. Glad there are sites like this around to help with the learning curve.

Last year, I investigated new machines and basically made the decision to go with the S1. Things didn't work out and I had to wait until now to make the jump. Glad I finally got here though. I must say, the first few shots I've pulled were probably beyond what I ever produced with Silvia. All the good stuff. No early blonding. Tiger flecks. Big gloppy stuff. Very cool.

When I first got it, I fired it up and started testing it out. After hearing all the stories about the steam power, I shot some steam into an empty pitcher. My first reaction was, hmmm, doesn't seem all that powerful. Though the steam did seem a lot more abundant and much drier.

I came back later and frothed some milk. Hoo-boy! I was at 180 before I knew what was happening. Yowza! Frothed like 8 ounces in less than 30 seconds. Had to recalibrate my opinion of the steam power. This thing definitely has it in spades. Guess I need to learn some new frothing techniques.

The only problem I seem to be having now is channeling. I see a divot in the puck after every shot. About the same size as the imprint left by the screwhead. Always in the same place. Sorta near the side. On the right if you're holding the portafilter in your hand. At 3 o'clock. Dunno if this is in fact channeling or not. The quality of the shots seems pretty darn good to me.

Derek
Barry

Post by Barry »

Check and make certain the grounds are not simply adhering to the screens of the group head at that location. It may not be channeling. Can you get someone to drill out one of your portafilters so you can be certain?

Regards,
Barry
deeluk

Post by deeluk »

Check and make certain the grounds are not simply adhering to the screens of the group head at that location. It may not be channeling. Can you get someone to drill out one of your portafilters so you can be certain?
Is that all you have to do to make one of those "naked" portafilters? Slap it in a drill press and hollow it out?

Thanks,

Derek
Barry

Post by Barry »

A drill press, hole saw, clamp and patience. Depending on how rough the cut is, a file and some emory cloth to smooth the edges after the cut is complete.

Regards,
Barry
deeluk

Post by deeluk »

Cool, thanks.

After pulling a bunch more shots, I think you were right. The grounds are just sticking to the grouphead screen when I take the pf out. The pattern on the screen and the dent in the top of the puck match up just about perfectly. So, I think I'm good.

As I dial it in more and more, I continue to be impressed. I'm really digging this machine! I have the volumetric dosing programmed. Really cool.

Cheers,

Derek

Return to “General Q&A”