Adding a PF Gauge to a S1 V1

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
bonganim

Adding a PF Gauge to a S1 V1

Post by bonganim »

Adding a group pressure gauge

Alright, I wish for a few things. I look at other machines and think something is misplaced on an S1. First, the steam pressure gauge could have been placed at a more visible spot and a machine like this should have come with a group pressure gauge from the onset. That aside, I looked around for a way to fill that void.
I checked this URL s1v2/S1vsVII.php and saw what can only be a tinker’s wet dream. It’s possible then, to hook up a manometer for the PF. With a smile upon my dial I remembered seeing this from Reneka a while back. If I’m not wrong, one of the only uses a PF Gauge has is to indicate your pump pressure. Therefore, it’s not crucial to have on the outside. Nothing less, or more. So, with inspiration from the photos below one can easily hook up a PG Gauge and skilfully place it facing upwards – there’s ample space inside – so that it would be easy to peel off the top cover and calibrate the pressure to one’s liking.
A pressure gauge is easy to obtain, has anyone ever done this mod or am I misunderstanding the layout of the S1 VI compared to its VII brother?
Attachments
reneka_insidestat.jpg
reneka_insidestat.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
reneka_inside.jpg
reneka_inside.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Endo

Re: Adding a PF Gauge to a S1 V1

Post by Endo »

bonganim

Re: Adding a PF Gauge to a S1 V1

Post by bonganim »

I relooked the S1 vs VII site and thought it was possible to have PF Gauge going through the 3way pipe as per picture. I intend to get the mechanical pre-infusion chamber at some point and having the gauge connected there would be a bit of a challenge as the pipe will now be taken up by the gauge.

"Note that the copper fitting behind the copper 3-way pipe has a brass cap on the bottom. Compare this to the VII photo on the right. The plain brass cap on the bottom of the copper fitting has been replaced by one that is threaded on the bottom. A copper tube that goes to the new dual manometer is attached to the bottom of this fitting. "

There are plenty of retired espresso machines in my neck of the woods and getting parts is not much of a biggie. Just why we have no La Spaziale - as far as I know - is baffling. In my craziness, while looking for a small enough nice looking gauge, I came across a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia pulling shots. The thing was so quiet, I got even more 'ideas'. I wonder if the motor mounts there are a contributory factor. I have had a word with their service agent and asked if he can get me mounts used on that machine - just for a wee bit of fun and scientific comparisons. Watch this space.

Return to “General Q&A”