20 amp operation

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
GentleGiant

20 amp operation

Post by GentleGiant »

I recently converted my S1 from 15 to 20 amp operation - I opened the top, flipped the switch, turned power on and turned off 'ECON' mode.

Now when heating is needed during regular operation, both elements can run.

The question/problem I have is that from a cold start the operation hasn't changed much: The brew boiler heats for ~5minutes, then the steam boiler is able to start. The only change is that the brew boiler coming back on the heat doesn't interrupt the steam boiler's progress.

- Is this the way all the 20 amp machines run?

I checked my breakers to see that all the general circuits in the house are 20 amp. I didn't make any change to the plugs or sockets.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: 20 amp operation

Post by chas »

GentleGiant wrote: - Is this the way all the 20 amp machines run?
Yes
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

I just did the same conversion, although mine has the old pin style (I actually ran a dedicated 20A circuit for it, too). Mine warms up the same way. The machine is much nicer to use, now that it is in 20A mode.
sjseattle

Post by sjseattle »

My S1 is also in 20amp mode. When I power on the machine, both the steam boiler light and one of the brew boiler lights come on (blinking). I assume this means that both are heating immediately.
GentleGiant

Post by GentleGiant »

SJ, the blinking lights just mean the boiler(s) are too cold.

When the steam boiler is actually heating, you can hear the annoying fan noise. This doesn't go on from a cold start until the brew boiler has heated to its set temperature for the first time.

Return to “General Q&A”