Which machine?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
gardoggie

Which machine?

Post by gardoggie »

I am going to order a new espresso machine in the next few days. I am new to high end machines. I want to be able to learn and then apply the knowledge to making really good espresso.

I am considering four different machines - La Spaziale S1, Cimbali Jr., Elektra A3, and the Andreja Premium. I know they all have different features, looks, price, etc. I am leaning towards the S1 because of the dual boiler design, programmability, etc.

However, in reading the reviews on Home-Barista.com, it appears the reviewer thinks the other three machines I'm considering have the ability to make better espresso consistently, and awarded the S1 an 8.0 on espresso versus the other machines getting 8.5's to 9.0's for scores on espresso making.

Why do you think this is the case that the other three macines would rate higher in espresso making than the S1? Do you think that the S1 can consistently make as good of a shot of espresso as the other three machines?

Any input on the S1's abilities compared to any of those other three machines would be appreicated. I hope to mak a decision and order next week from Chris' Coffee....
BillK

Re: Which machine?

Post by BillK »

gardoggie wrote:However, in reading the reviews on Home-Barista.com, it appears the reviewer thinks the other three machines I'm considering have the ability to make better espresso consistently, and awarded the S1 an 8.0 on espresso versus the other machines getting 8.5's to 9.0's for scores on espresso making.

Why do you think this is the case that the other three macines would rate higher in espresso making than the S1? Do you think that the S1 can consistently make as good of a shot of espresso as the other three machines?

Any input on the S1's abilities compared to any of those other three machines would be appreicated. I hope to mak a decision and order next week from Chris' Coffee....
I just bought an S1, and I had the same question, and I never found an answer, so I think you have a great question there.

My suggestion is that you call Chris at Chris Coffee and talk to him about your question. My S1 purchase was my first from Chris Coffee, and I was really impressed - a most helpful staff, and excellent service in every respect.

I am exceedingly pleased with my S1 after a month, but I don't have a machine recommendation for you as I have no experience with any of the ones you are considering. However, I will offer you one observation. I changed from a pourover hx machine to the S1. Two of the machines you are considering are available with internal rotary pump - S1 and Cimbali. I cannot tell you how delighted I am with the quietness and convenience of the rotary pump as well as the overall feel of its quality. With the John Guest fittings that are available from Chris, anybody can do the plumb-in in a few minutes. Once you are connected, your days of having to carry your bucket to the well to fetch a pail of water are over. After a month with the rotary pump, I don't think I could ever go back; I think if I bought a pourover machine I would put an external rotary pump on it and that adds $$ and takes space. Accordingly, I suggest that if you have a serious interest in an hx machine in the price range of the Andreja you also consider the Briccoletta.
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

gardoggie wrote:I am going to order a new espresso machine in the next few days. I am new to high end machines. I want to be able to learn and then apply the knowledge to making really good espresso.

I am considering four different machines - La Spaziale S1, Cimbali Jr., Elektra A3, and the Andreja Premium. I know they all have different features, looks, price, etc. I am leaning towards the S1 because of the dual boiler design, programmability, etc.

However, in reading the reviews on Home-Barista.com, it appears the reviewer thinks the other three machines I'm considering have the ability to make better espresso consistently, and awarded the S1 an 8.0 on espresso versus the other machines getting 8.5's to 9.0's for scores on espresso making.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I did not want a HX machine, (even though I never owned one). The only gripes I have with the S1 are: it cannot be put on a timer and the body is not all stainless. The S1 simply rocks. It makes great espresso, and the steam is more than most people (at home) could ever come close to using. I cannot image ever running out of power. This machine is always waiting for me As to its getting an 8 versus an 8.5 or a 9? Who knows... Some reviewers probably have a hard time with the S1's 53mm PF... I think most people would have a hard time differentiaing an 8.5 shot from a 9. 8)
mls64

Post by mls64 »

ishcoco wrote:As to its getting an 8 versus an 8.5 or a 9? Who knows... Some reviewers probably have a hard time with the S1's 53mm PF... I think most people would have a hard time differentiaing an 8.5 shot from a 9. 8)
One reviewers 8.5 could well be another reviewers 9, or 8 for that matter.
HooHaw

Post by HooHaw »

Elektra A3 is also a rotary.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I have owned a number of machines and went through a detailed evaluation considering the same machines you did before purchasing my S1. In the hands of a skilled operator, any of the machines listed, as well as many at half the cost, will make identical quality Espresso. I can notice no difference between a good shot from my Isomac Tea or my S1. It is easier to get consistent performance from the S1, however, that is not the reason I purchased it. Believing (and rightfully so) that over time it is possible to master any machine, it is the additional features that I wanted most. Dual boilers, programable dosing, PID level controls, etc. that led me to purchase the S1. 1 year later, I would purchase the S1 again in a heart beat.

Regards,
Barry
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

Barry wrote:1 year later, I would purchase the S1 again in a heart beat.

Regards,
Barry

I'll second that notion, albeit after only a few months of ownership.

Ben
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

An additional factor to consider is that hx machines intended for commercial use are designed for temperature stability over many contiguous pulls. Good, you might say. But for the Home Barista, not so good, perhaps. To get that kind of thermal stability one needs a good bit of thermal mass and that necessitates a good deal of cooling down before the first shot. Since it is likely that 90 percent of your shots will be "first shots" (ie after a pause of 30 min or more) you will have what could be a very annoying cooling flush each time.

Bob

Return to “General Q&A”