Want a VII...but can I plumb in?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
wantmorecrema

Want a VII...but can I plumb in?

Post by wantmorecrema »

I want to be like you and not fill that reservoir constantly, but I don't know if I can plumb in. Please help me convince my husband that I can (he's freaked out by the idea).

The tricky thing is that it would be on the opposite side of the sink area. It would be on the fridge side, but I don't have a water line for an ice maker or anything.

The good thing is that my kitchen is a tiny kitchen, and being on the opposite side means roughly 8ft from the sink, or 6 from the dishwasher...if you can connect a line there.

Also, our sink is old. We just had a new dishwasher put in and the plumber was appalled by the antiquity of our plumbing!

Thanks for your help. I SO want to have a S1/VII.

- Carrie
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

Post up a picture of what you have, and we will give you some advice.

What I will say is that plumbing is actually quite easy, once you get past the initial learning curve.

My guess is that you will be able to tap directly in to the cold water line at the sink then run the line over to the machine, but it is hard to say for sure. The trick will be if you can get a T fitting for right after the shutoff. I would NOT suggest getting any kind of a peirce style tap, just a t-fitting that will go inline after the sink shutoff. Also, if you haven't ever or at least in a long time used the sink shutoff, first find the house shutoff. Old and unused shutoff valves have a habit of breaking when you use them... Also turn it on or off all the way (just till it stops, doesnt need to be over tight). They are not designed to be done half way.

I tapped into the icemaker line, used a t after the shutoff with compression fittings. Then used a copper to JG/Watts quick connect (sounds difficult, but it is quite easy, just talk to the guys/girls at your local home store) and plugged it into the machine.

Just remember that in a compression fitting you have one shot when using copper or pvc with a slip on ferrule. Talk to the guys in the plumbing isle and ask how to do it. It is simple but there is a bit of technique. Overtightening is a bad idea, as is undertightining. The JG/Watts bits are awesome, you can't screw them up.
wantmorecrema

Post by wantmorecrema »

thanks so much! very helpful.

here is a link to the pics...

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... ines/28231
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

The plumbing itself is completely trivial; of course you will be able to do it. Use the John Guest tubing and fittings. It's easy, inexpensive and foolproof.

The issue in your case isn't so much the plumbing as it is the question of where to run the tubing. You can go anywhere with it, but somehow it has to make it from the cold water shutoff valve under the sink to where you want the machine. See any reasonable paths?

For what it's worth, what is under your kitchen? Maybe the easiest out-of-sight path would be "below decks." And while we're at it, what's above?

I disagree with the coffeegeek respondent who said that you could use a hot water line (such as the dishwasher supply). Unfortunately, the time spent in the hot water heater tank takes its toll on the water's chemistry. It would work, but the taste would suffer (from what I have read).

Gary Dahl

Return to “General Q&A”