Testing water Hardness

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
PatRi

Testing water Hardness

Post by PatRi »

Testing water hardness: Best test available seems to be these kits used for aquarium water. They are available in all pet stores that have a significant aquarium section and cost 11$ Canadian, I must assume less than that in the USA. There are many types of them, but the right one is "KH/GH test: Carbonate and general hardness test" and they work by adding drops of solution until the water changes color ( they are not strips that you dip in water). At the very least you need general hardness (GH), since the carbonate hardness is not controlled much by the softener cartridge anyway. The precision of these test is 10 ppm (or 2/3 of a grain) whereas test strips have a precision of 34 ppm ( 2 grains).
Note: some test kit gives a precision of 20ppm ( each drop is worth 20ppm) it is not a real problem. It can be easily solved by using twice the amount of water and then each drop is worth 10 ppm; The test kit I have (NUTRAFIN brand by Hagen http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aqu ... 8300010101) recommends using 5ml of water in the test tube and each drop would represent 20 ppm of hardness, if you use 10 ml of water in the tube each drop then each drop would represent 10 ppm.

Now the reason I mention this is that recently, when the steam boiler was getting hot, I could hear some sounds similar to a kettle when there is scaling. There was not a lot of sounds but it was definitely not there before. The test strips I had showed hardness not even at 50 ppm so it was difficult to conclude. Long story short, a friend of my wife remembered me the lack of precision of these test strips when testing the pool and that I prefered a test kit with drops for the pool. Since she has these huge aquarium she told me about these test and how much better they where than test strips. That triggered to go back to the Insanely Long Water FAQ http://www.big-rick.com/coffee/waterfaq.html where I found the same info.

Testing with the kit indicated :x GH=80ppm !!! :x .

The information found in the FAQ confirmed what Chris had told me, which is to keep Hardness (GH) under 50 ppm.

Yesterday I recharged my softener cartridge (next post http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?p=1736#1736 ) and after I had no hardness showing at all.

My recommendation get a precise test kit and monitor hardness adequately. I will probably test it every two months until it gets to 40 and then monthly.

rgds, Pat
Weska

Post by Weska »

Thanks for this information, PatRi. Good to know quantitatively and from experience how much hardness measurements can vary. When I run out of my stock of strips, I'll try to find a source for the titration kit.
HooHaw

Post by HooHaw »

Hi Pat. Have you read Jim Schulman's "The Insanely Long Water FAQ"?
PatRi

Post by PatRi »

Hi Hoohaw,
Yes that is the faq I am referring too. It is very interesting, and considers the combined effect of GH (hardness) and KH (alkalinity).
rgds, Pat
Barry

Post by Barry »

The use of an aquarium test kit is a great idea. I have always wondered about the use of test strips and believe that the drops would be a significantly better method. Thanks for posting the suggestion Pat.

Regards,
Barry
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That does sound like a good idea. I have a bunch of those plastic stick test strips I bought from Chris. They are pretty hard to get a good read on. The difference between OK and too high means distinquishing between pretty subtle differences in shades of green.

About the only way I get a warm feeling from these strips is that the shade of green of my tap water appears just slightly above the acceptable range and when testing the conditioned water the test strip color doesn't change at all.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
PatRi

Post by PatRi »

Chas, that is exactly the situation I had. Reading the color right is a challenge, and on top of that the precision of the system is low (each color level is 30 PPM). The combined effect is not precise enough for my requirement.
It seems their best used is like the strip to test alkalinity in the pool, to be safe, add one level to you reading.
It was at 80 ppm and I was reading less than 50 ppm (3 grains). Luckily it was a short period so I should avoid to descale :D ,
rgds, Pat

Return to “General Q&A”