Can someone recommend a quality grinder?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
JonW

Can someone recommend a quality grinder?

Post by JonW »

I'm close to taking the plunge for an S1 and I am looking for suggestions on grinders to use with it. My current machine is a Gaggia Paros with a built in grinder (Gaggia MDF equivalent).

I don't think I'm willing to spend $650 for a Mazzer Mini doserless, but I wouldn't be opposed to maybe a Cimbali Jr. or Macap. My current grinder is doserless and it seems that would be the best way to go for me as I generally make a few latte's in the morning and maybe a shot or two in the evenings.

I've read the reviews and the comparisons over at Home-Barista. Could anyone comment on what you use with the S1 or what you've used and didn't like?

Thanks,
JonW
Barry

Re: Can someone recommend a quality grinder?

Post by Barry »

I would also look at the Cunill Tranquilo.

http://www.corainc.com/Details.cfm/ProdID/485

It is commercial grade and gets high marks. Some consider it to be ugly, however, I am more concerned with the quality of the grind than asthetics.

Regards,
Barry
BobG

Post by BobG »

The Cimbali Jr. is a very good grinder. It's what I have used since buying the S1 more than 1.5 years ago. I had a grinder that did not have a doser before and adapted quickly to the Cimbali Jr. It's a very heavy duty grinder that is of high-quality and grinds very consistently.

Bob G.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Where are you getting a $650 price tag? Chris sells the Mazzer Mini for $450.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... minimazzer
JonW

Post by JonW »

Barry wrote:Where are you getting a $650 price tag? Chris sells the Mazzer Mini for $450.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... minimazzer
I was looking at the Mazzer Mini E doserless - $649 at Chris's place. http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/minie

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Cimbali Jr. I will only use it for espresso and it seems the only negative about the Jr is if you need to switch between different grinds - which I won't. From other reviews, it seems that the Jr sweeps quite clean and I wouldn't have to worry about much in the way of stale grinds sitting in it - which is the concern that was driving my initial thoughts on a doserless. And, although performance is one of my key criteria, I like the styling of the Jr as well.

Thanks to all for the feedback. (anyone have any feedback on the other question I posted regarding using timers with the S1??).

Thanks,
JonW
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

I use a Macap M4 (doser). I originally wanted doserless, but I am very happy with how my Macap works.

The doser sweeps quite clean and as the coffee falls into the dividers (sweepers), I know by look what 18g-19g looks like, so I waste very little coffee. The only loss in the small amount in the chute.

Mine is the stepped model (though small steps), but there now is a stepless available.

I am happy to recommend that grinder.
alsterling

Doserless to doser.........

Post by alsterling »

TruthBrew wrote:I use a Macap M4 (doser). I originally wanted doserless, but I am very happy with how my Macap works.
Nice to see another happy Macap M4 doser customer. I placed my order for the S1 last week with Chris, and he persuaded me out of the Mazzer Mini E doserless "B", indicating that the Macap stepless doser would be fine, and a few dollars less. My concern was best grinder, not best price. Although, from what I've heard, either Mazzer or Macap certainly can do espresso.

My reasons for wanting doserless, although I never have owned one, was that it might be better for short runs of different bean types. One thing I didn't think of was that with a doserless, I would have to monitor the PF as it fills. With a doser..... I can switch it on and walk away for a moment until all the beans run through the grinder; then shut it off. Your comments about the "clean sweep" capability of the Macap are appreciated. Having started with an MDF, I end my session now by tilting the grinder forward and flicking the doser to empty out a considerable amount of leftover grounds.

Regardless of reasoning and theorizing, I will need a few more grinders and look at that as an opportunity to maybe try the Mini E doserless, or Macap doserless, further down the road.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Doserless to doser.........

Post by admin »

alsterling wrote:One thing I didn't think of was that with a doserless, I would have to monitor the PF as it fills. With a doser..... I can switch it on and walk away for a moment until all the beans run through the grinder; then shut it off.
Of course this is why the Mini-E is the one to get if you are getting a doserless since you don't have to keep an eye on it either once programmed.

However, that "few dollars' less you mentioned for the Macap is about $230 less. Given that its doser sweeps so clean that's a pretty strong selling point.
Last edited by admin on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
alsterling

Re: Doserless to doser.........

Post by alsterling »

admin wrote: Of course this is why the Mini-E is the one to get if you are getting a doserless since you don't have to keep an eye on it either once programmed.
A big problem for me has been not having the time or a showroom or shop available to try out some of the equipment and accessories I've needed. I anguished over getting the Mazzer Mini E, doserless, either type A or B. So what do I do........ I cop out and change my order for the Macap doser! (smile) I'm blaming it on Chris! He talked me into the Macap from the Mazzer. Although...... I still have time to call back and change the order!?

Now you've got me thinking that maybe I should get the Mazzer doserless Mini E "B" model?!

If you can think of a reason that I should........ for gosh sakes, throw out the life raft now! Mary is only a phone call away, and Chris just got new inventory.......... (I think I'm redefining the term "neurotic.")
Thanks, Al
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can safely say you won't have any regrets if you do go with the Mini-E, but you will have a significanlty bigger hole in your wallet. I do think it's overpriced. It's hard to believe, especially after popping the bottom off and looking at the electronics board, that it added anywhere nearly as much cost as they've added to the price.

On the other hand when you buy any of this class of top notch grinders, I've found the resale price to be excellent. So if you change your mind later, all is not lost!
S1 Cafe Admin
alsterling

OK then....... I feel an upgrade coming on!

Post by alsterling »

Well...... I'm gonna call Mary and go back to the doserless Mini E "B".

I don't do alot of shots per day, but have a number of coffees to taste test. I just returned from Brasil with pre roasted samples from one of our pending vendors. I thought the doserless would be the best bet for changing beans; less cleaning of the hopper, etc.?

Would you do the same?
zak42

Post by zak42 »

Sorry to add to your troubles, but i have an S1 + MiniE combo, and i wouldn't recommend it. The MiniE has a couple of distribution issues, which are really highlighted by the S1's deeper baskets. You can make it work, but it involves moving the PF through 180 degrees as you grind, making the timer/hands free aspects rather useless.
alsterling

Which grinder.......... or not?

Post by alsterling »

Zak........ you'll be pleased to know that I did call Mary at CC and attempted to "re upgrade" to the MME doserless stepless....... but alas, they don't have any on the shelf, and their new shipment is a month out! That's an easy way to make a decision! I'm just holding with what I ordered.

What's good is that I'm paying under $400 for the Macap doser stepless. I've told Mary that when they do get the Mazzers in, I'd probably buy one. But with your input, (notice how easily I'm swayed), I'll definitely find some grinders to play around with and experiment.

The Macap is, based on what I do know, a good grinder with all the basics; switch control, doser and stepless adjustment. I decided that this would become, in the future, my Malabar Gold grinder (the blend I run the most) and the next grinder will accomdate my short test lots.

Unfortunately........... a couple more emails with testmonies like yours (big smile) and I could very well change my mind again! Geeze....... I keep thinking I should be taking medication for this "inability to hold firm!"

Oh well...... at least I know I did buy a great dual boiler machine with a good grinder............... right??! Please hold off on any problematic comments on the S1 until about 15th. (approx. receiving date for my shipment) I could always just stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and recite the mantra...."La, la, la, la, la...." endlessly until you stop with the comments. (smile)

Best, Al
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

I'll still recommend the Macap... great grinder. My comments on a "clean sweep" are relative to a Mazzer Mini doser. There still is some light residue/grounds in the doser, but really not much. If you're worried about efficiency (bean loss), it's no concern. If you are concerned about a few stale grounds getting in the portafilter, then you may be pickier than I am.

I used another fellows Mazzer and it surely was less clean and overall the doser didn't seem as solid.

Enjoy your choice, as other's have said, you can always sell and rebuy. I might be interested in a used Macap stepless if you change your mind later! =)
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

I picked up one of these on ebay for $40 (with shipping) I intend to run my Cimbali grinder on it. It settable and repeatable to within 1/2 second (I have been told.)

Doserless grinders have two problems that I have read of: clumping and staling of coffee in the chute. A little coffee is left in the chute of any grinder. I run a second or two to push out the stale before grinding for a shot.

Pro baristas work the doser handle vigorously in order to break up clumps.

Bob

alsterling

Time-O-Lite gets a second chance.....

Post by alsterling »

Bob....... geeze, I forgot all about the time o lites. As a "mini-geezer" photographer, I suppose I had a half dozen in my darkroom. Those were the days when an enlarger needed a timer. And yes, these time o lites are built like brick houses and reasonably accurate; certainly accurate enough to drive a grinder. Good deal !

Best, Al
bobroseman

Re: Time-O-Lite gets a second chance.....

Post by bobroseman »

alsterling wrote:Bob....... geeze, I forgot all about the time o lites. As a "mini-geezer" photographer, I suppose I had a half dozen in my darkroom. Those were the days when an enlarger needed a timer. And yes, these time o lites are built like brick houses and reasonably accurate; certainly accurate enough to drive a grinder. Good deal !

Best, Al
It arrived today. I gave it a quick test and it seems to satisy my need. Not as elegant as a mini timing relay with a front panel lcd, programmable to 0.1 seconds but it is cheaper. :)

Bob
alsterling

More than good enough.......

Post by alsterling »

You know Bob....... "The chain is only as strong as the weakest link."

And when it comes to turning the grinder on and off, I'm sure you'd agree that an electro-mechanical switching device is just fine. Actually, you got me thinking that I should scroung through my storage to see if I saved a couple? I may have one or two. If not.......... I promise you that I'll be looking around some 2nd hand venues. We used to have a Ham Radio Swap Meet at the old TRW plant off Aviation in Los Angeles. It moved to the old General Dynamics plant in Rancho Cucamonga, but both closed. I remember seeing those timers there, back in the 80's, for a very, very fair price. One time o lite and I've got my programmable function. Thanks for the brainstorm. And frankly, analog devices are sometimes much more "human engineered" than pure digital electronic. I always liked watching the dial countdown and then reset. (It's really cool to watch in a darkroom as the dial is luminecent...... maybe you'll start grinding in the dark??!)

Best, Al
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

I'm usually in the dark! :)

There are a lot of time-o-lites on eBay. I got mine from "primemart". Evidently, he tests them and services them, if necessary. Mine came shrink wrapped and well packaged. I recommend him as a source.

BTW Since you are going into the coffee business, I have a question for you. What is this and why should you have one?

Bob

alsterling

Why is their gravity........and oh, what is that?

Post by alsterling »

Bob..... I'm dumping the company on the kids...... I already have a job that almost pays the mortgage! (big laugh from crowd) I prefer to call what we are approaching as a "hobby gone wild." If our family were Yugoslavian instead of Brasilian......well then, I guess we'd be importing the Yugo instead of beans. (The Yugo's time may have come again; speaking of a cheap car....or was that a car that's cheap to run?)

That device you pasted in looks like a fractal spectrometer for evaluating density of solids in a solution? That's just a guess......and a bad one at that as it's frickin' 147am and I'm still working on my laptop....... boy, if I have a life, it needs some work.

Let's say you want to know how dark your coffee is, and you can't just dip your teaspoon into the cup, pull the spoon out and see whether the coffee is light or dark. Well then, it's my guess that you dazzle your friends by pulling THAT THING out of your pocket and pretend to do a magic trick or something. Instead you tell everyone how weak the darn coffee is at the Denny's you're at......only now you can quantify it in whatever units that long metal thing measures.

How'my doin'..........? Goodnight, Al
alsterling

On second thought.........

Post by alsterling »

On second thought......Bob, that long thing looks like a drop in view finder for a 2 1/4 square format camera, or some optical device.

If this were a game show....my final answer would be "VIEWFINDER"

(I guess that's pretty obvious, huh? You probably want the device it fits into?)

that's it, I'm all out'a creative thought....or would that be temp insanity?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bobroseman wrote:
Doserless grinders have two problems that I have read of: clumping and staling of coffee in the chute. A little coffee is left in the chute of any grinder. I run a second or two to push out the stale before grinding for a shot.

Pro baristas work the doser handle vigorously in order to break up clumps.

Bob
That's how I work my mini-E. I have the double button programmed for about 18g and the single button just for about 1 1/2 seconds. So I use the latter in the morning to blast out the stale grinds stuck in the chute. And after I press the double button and it is grinding into the basket, I am wokring the doser handle to keep the coffee evenly distributed and settled.

There was a concern expressed about not having the free time to be doing something else if you have to stand there and wiggle the PF handle. However, the mini-E grinds so fast there's really no time to be doing something else anyway.
S1 Cafe Admin
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

Your first guess was best. ;))

Read this -

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/203992
JonW

Post by JonW »

Just thought I would post back on the decision I made here....Saturday I ordered the S1 w/ the Cimbali Jr grinder from Chris Coffee.

I got the UPS ship notification today. It said the packages totalled 126 pounds! Holy smokes this stuff is heavy!

I'm looking forward to some fun with this setup.

- Jon
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

Just thought I would post back on the decision I made here....Saturday I ordered the S1 w/ the Cimbali Jr grinder from Chris Coffee.

I got the UPS ship notification today. It said the packages totalled 126 pounds! Holy smokes this stuff is heavy!

I'm looking forward to some fun with this setup.

- Jon
Enjoy! You have got a great set of equipment! If I had time, I could tell you about how my family has embraced the S1 for noncoffee uses. ;)

Bob

Return to “General Q&A”