Water bottle plumbing: FloJet or check valve?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
cappadoc

Water bottle plumbing: FloJet or check valve?

Post by cappadoc »

So in reading a lot of the posts here and at Home Barista, I've seen a lot of discussion regarding plumbing options. My machine is plumbed in with a 5 gallon water bottle, FloJet pump, and a ShurFlo accumulator tank.
I've seen some discussion that a simple check valve may be all that is required to plumb into a bottle.
My question is, has anyone actually used just a check valve to plumb their machine to a bottled water source? If so, do you think it is a viable (not to mention cheaper) alternative to the FloJet setup?
I know Dan Kehn has stated that the Procon pump is rated for a 6 foot vertical lift, but I'm not sure I've seen any comments as to the effect this would have on the pump's life span.

Just Curious,
Jeff
daerider

Post by daerider »

Jeff,
I had my S1 pulling straight from a water bottle for awhile until I purchased a flojet and shurflow accumulator tank that you recomended. What I noticed is that the pump vane will cavitate quite a bit and that will definitely lead to excessive pump wear overtime.
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

If you are pulling directly from a water bottle, how do you get a prime? Would seem like you would have to run the machine dry for at least a couple seconds to get prime (even if the bottle was above the machine).
daerider

Post by daerider »

Truth,
All I did to prime the pump was disconnect the output end at the espresso machine (facilitated by installation of WATTS quick connect fittings) and suck some water through the line to fill the chamber in the pump. Having had my S1 setup to run straight out of a water bottle and in the current configuration of water bottle-flojet-shurflo accumulator, I must say that the difference in noise level and pressure stability at grouphead is much better with the latter configuration.
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

Whew! I was just worried that I wasted $200 on the pump and tank. I feel so much better now.

After installing the accumulator tank, I must say I would never go back. As Daerider said, the pressure at the grouphead is much more even and the noise is DRAMATICALLY reduced. No more cavitation or water hammer.

Jeff
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

My accumulator is on order. :D
4cups

accumulator

Post by 4cups »

Hi,

Have had my S1 for about a month now, running it off a water bottle with a flojet. Where does one purchase the proper accumlator tank?

Thanks
Jody
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Here's where I ordered mine (an Amazon.com seller):

http://tinyurl.com/azva2

Came without issues, brand-new.
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

Jody,
Accumulator tanks are commonly sold at RV and marine stores. I got mine at West Marine or Boater's World.

Jeff
4cups

Post by 4cups »

Thanks for the info.

Return to “General Q&A”