New Mini Owner

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Zarzicki

New Mini Owner

Post by Zarzicki »

I just purchased the Mini 2 from Chris's Coffee and as of yet have not received it. Most of the reviews outside of this site have been overwhelmingly positive for the Vivaldi 2. Based on those reviews, I bought the Mini because, except for the pump and the size of the steam boiler, the Mini and Vivaldi 2 are the same machine; and, I didn't want to deal with the plumbing. I spent a lot of time reading the warranty threads on this site re: the Mini, and much to my surprise I was taken back with the problems. Now I am a little apprehensive. Are there any Mini users reading this that are happy with the machine and are having a positive experience with it?

Thanks Zarzicki
JohnB

Re: New Mini Owner

Post by JohnB »

Keep in mind that you only hear about the problems in forum sections like that, the happy owners are busy making espresso. Only 4 threads over almost 12 months doesn't sound like a lot of problems to me but I can understand you being nervous about your purchase. As to S1V2/Mini differences the electronics are also different as only the S1 can have the programmable preinfusion.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I bought my mini last week. No problems at all so far.

Obviously the plumbed in version has advantages. But they are mostly about serving speed (not quality). If you don't make a huge number of back to back milk drinks, the Mini may be the perfect solution.

As far as pre-infusion is concerned, you always have the mechanical version on the Mini, so I wouldn't get to hung up on it.

The Mini actually has an advantage over the regular S1. The lever steam wand is fantastic (much preferrable to the knob). Makes you feel like a "real" barista.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I am guessing that the controller board in the Mini is the same as the one in the Maxi just with a different firmware load.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Only slight disappointment I've had with the Mini so far is the steam volume. The boiler is half the size of the Maxi, so if you take hot water for a guest who wants tea, you'll need to wait for steam. Still, since the boiler is small but uses the same wattage as the Maxi, the heat-up is very short (about 1 minute).

You need to refill often when guests come over. But that should be obvious.

I'd like to go with the Maxi with the big boiler, 20A, rotary pump and programmable pre-infusion. But for some people with smaller milk drink demand or no option for plumb-in, the Mini is a nice option to have.
Last edited by Endo on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I still prefer the knob for steaming :grin:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Niko wrote:I still prefer the knob for steaming :grin:
But you'll get better steam out of the tip than out of the knob! :munky2:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Zarzicki

Post by Zarzicki »

I posted the original thread, thanks for your responses. I can see that most everyone is pleased with the unit.
I received it yesterday, and so far it's a great machine.

Zarzicki
Niko

Post by Niko »

chas wrote:
Niko wrote:I still prefer the knob for steaming :grin:
But you'll get better steam out of the tip than out of the knob! :munky2:
:lol:
Endo

Post by Endo »

I've had my Mini for a week now. Every day I'm getting more and more impressed. My last ristretto I made using my own 3 day old home roast was the best shot I've ever experienced.

While the Mini is not a high volume machine like the bigger S1, it fits a niche for home users who want a great, consistant espresso shot and also enough steam volume for a small dinner party of guests who like milk drinks.

I'm still a little envious of the quiet rotary pump and plumb in cabability of its bigger brother, but I don't have any of those problems either (like expensive rotary pump replacement, plumb-in extras like water softeners, flowjets, 20A circuit kitchen mods, etc).

The price is also quite a bit lower as well and actually comes close to the price they are asking for some HX E-61 machines (which are hugely inferior in my opinion).

And again, the feature I love most is that great steam lever!

I'm just lovin' it! :bounce:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”