Tamper ?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zak42

Tamper ?

Post by zak42 »

Which tampers are people using ? I just just got an S1, and am having a hard time getting a consistent shot, which i think is down to the fact that both the tampers i have (espro 73 & a reg barber 73) tend to bind on the sides of the double basket when i tamp.

I'm begining to feel like i'm starting from scratch again, particularly with the milk, eveything moves along waaaay faster than before (a gaggia coffee)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In spite of the fact that we all like to style it up with our standard or custom Reg, Espro, and Thor tampers - and Lord knows I have a drawer full of them - I can get as good or often better results using a four quadrant tamp with that POS plastic jobber that comes with the S1.

Four quadrant tamps with that POS tamper can stand up under the scrutiny of the naked PF!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
BillK

Tamper

Post by BillK »

In what way does the business end of the plastic tamper differ from a flat or convex 53mm tamper? (I threw my plastic one away already.)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's only 48mm so it will always fit no matter what basket you use.
Chas
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I'm begining to feel like i'm starting from scratch again, particularly with the milk, eveything moves along waaaay faster than before (a gaggia coffee)
AMEN brother!! :lol:

I can certianly identify with that.
BillK

Tamper

Post by BillK »

Chas wrote:It's only 48mm so it will always fit no matter what basket you use.
I am wondering, why would 48mm work better from a channeling standpoint? I must be missing something obvious.

Does it have a small, radiused edge, as most plastic parts do? Do you suppose that this makes a difference. Not much work to chamfer or radius a decent tamper, if it would make a difference.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I don't think he's suggesting that it works "better" at all. I think he's just saying that it WILL work with a 4 quadrant tamp.

Sort of like the "any old port in a storm" argument. :wink:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The 48mm POS tamper lets you angle the edge of the tamper as you start a four quadrant tamp. You can correct better for cases where you haven't evenly spread the coffee prior to tamping that you can if you have a thick 53 of 53.5mm tamper which you can really only push straight down.

That said, I don't use the POS tamper that came with the S1 on a regular basis either. However, I think it's a perfectly fine temporary substiute if you find yourself with one of the new smaller diameter baskets and a Reg or Thor tamper that doesn't quite fit.

I pulled the POS tamper out of storage out of curiosity when I got a bottomless PF. I could get a more repeatable pour without channeling with the POS and a four quadrant tamp than with any of my expensive Reg, Thor, or EPNW tampers.

I wonder if Chris is feeling the pain from LaSpaziale changing basket suppliers. He must be stuck with some level of inventory of Thor 53.5mm tampers that were designed and made just for him.
Chas
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Hi Chas -

It's interesting that you say that about the new baskets being 53mm...

I've been wondering the same thing. Les at Thortamper didn't believe that the change had been made. I assured him that a few people here (as well as myself) wouldn't have much luck using a 53.5mm tamper.

I have yet to hear any updates from him on the matter. He did agree to make mine 53mm even, though. :wink:
GentleGiant

Post by GentleGiant »

I've tried 53mm tampers from EspressoParts Northwest, both flat and convex. With the convex I had horrible problems with distribution. Their convex tamper is much more conical than rounded. The center of the puck was much denser than the edges, and it made any problems with uneven dosing much worse. The flat one works much better for me; I can get an even, consistant cone with the bottomless PF.
Chas wrote:I wonder if Chris is feeling the pain from LaSpaziale changing basket suppliers. He must be stuck with some level of inventory of Thor 53.5mm tampers that were designed and made just for him.
Yes, I got one when I bought the machine, and ended up returning it. He recently (end of October) made a trip to Italy, and he told me in an email this was one of the items he wanted to resolve.
sraike

Re: Tamper ?

Post by sraike »

zak42 wrote:Which tampers are people using ? I just just got an S1, and am having a hard time getting a consistent shot, which i think is down to the fact that both the tampers i have (espro 73 & a reg barber 73) tend to bind on the sides of the double basket when i tamp.

I'm using an Espro 53mm click type tamper (training wheels). It's a close fit to the basket but if aligned properly it has given me good consistant tamps.

I'm loving the S1. Coming off a Silvia, life is much better and easier now.

Stu

Return to “General Q&A”