Steam boiler cycle

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
ishcoco

Steam boiler cycle

Post by ishcoco »

Once stabilized, my steam boiler wants to cycle about every 3 minutes or so. As I have never given much thought to this before, does this sound right? What is everyone else's machine doing? I also have a very faint hiss (you need to have your ear next to the machine to hear it). Normal? Thoughts?

Ben
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

3 minutes is what my machine is doing too, I also called ChrisCoffee once to confirm that. Their tech said that's right.

The most likely origin of that hiss is either the vacuum breaker or the over pressure valve. My machine had some grease in on of those and it would close prefectly. I took of the cup tray and even saw some condensation. I wiggled the top of them (careful, steam is hot!) and at some point it stopped. There was no leak but that grease as it got hot made it not close perfectly.

Wolfgang
RobertD

Post by RobertD »

I am not sure I agree with Wolfgang. :? My machine has a known leak, which I am in the process of fixing. It recycles about every two minutes. Before the leak, it was at least five minutes between cycles. There are other threads you should look at to see how others have had to deal with leaks. It could be as simple as tightening one of the bolts on the top.

If you want to see where the leak is coming from, open it up, turn it on, and then move a knife from your silverware drawer near where you think it is coming from. You will get condensation on the blade immediately.

On a related subject, I would sure like to take a poll as to the range of pressures we are seeing. My pump goes on when pressure drops to 1.25 bars, and off at 1.5 or 1.6 (in the red). I was told that is normal, but would be interested what others are experiencing.

Robert
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

RobertD wrote:I am not sure I agree with Wolfgang. :? My machine has a known leak, which I am in the process of fixing. It recycles about every two minutes. Before the leak, it was at least five minutes between cycles. There are other threads you should look at to see how others have had to deal with leaks. It could be as simple as tightening one of the bolts on the top.

If you want to see where the leak is coming from, open it up, turn it on, and then move a knife from your silverware drawer near where you think it is coming from. You will get condensation on the blade immediately.

On a related subject, I would sure like to take a poll as to the range of pressures we are seeing. My pump goes on when pressure drops to 1.25 bars, and off at 1.5 or 1.6 (in the red). I was told that is normal, but would be interested what others are experiencing.

Robert
My machine only goes up to 1.25, and starts its cycle at 1.0.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

My machine starts at 1.1bar and stops at 1.3bar steampressure.

And Robert, I kinda have the feeling the cycle times were longer when I bought the machine. That's why I called Chris Coffee. Since I never paid close attention to the 'before time', I can't really tell if something changed unfortunately.

Wolfgang
RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Wolfgang,

I just got a response from my tech contact at LaSpazialeUSA. He says "5 to 15 minutes" recycle time is normal. My guess is 15 minutes is possible only with an insulated boiler!

Robert
admin
Site Admin

Re: Steam boiler cycle

Post by admin »

ishcoco wrote:I also have a very faint hiss (you need to have your ear next to the machine to hear it). Normal? Thoughts?

Ben
You might want to check this post: http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=65
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com

Return to “General Q&A”