Backflushing the Mini

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
SnowDragon

Backflushing the Mini

Post by SnowDragon »

In the instruction manual for the Mini, nowhere does it speak about backflushing.

Nor did I get a blank disk with the rig.

I read about the backflushing procedure in the plumbed VII manual on line but again there nothing about it in the Mini manual.

I do need to backflush the Mini, don't I?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Backflushing the Mini

Post by chas »

Read the Backflushing FAQ here: http://www.rimpo.org/s1v2/faqs.htm
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
SnowDragon

Post by SnowDragon »

Thanks again Chas
:bigsmurf:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

So that explains why they don't include a backflush disk and send you a "barbecue cleaner" brush instead. That said, almost everyone does backflush. If you didn't get a disk, they are available for purchase from various locations in the US. Chris Coffee sells the rubber disks and includes one when purchased from them. However, I replaced this with a metal one from Espresso Parts. The metal ones are essentially a portafilter with no holes.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

When you order either the rubber disc or blank basket get yourself one of the Pallo brushes for cleaning the gasket/screens. Save that nasty brush that came with the machine for cleaning rust off your car.
SnowDragon

Post by SnowDragon »

Cute with the rust brush.

I don't understand why they don't include the disk with the machine, since it's such an important step to keep the rig clean.

Anyhow, I have the disk and the brush ordered.

Should be here in a couple weeks; it's coming up by dog team. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

SnowDragon wrote:Cute with the rust brush.

I don't understand why they don't include the disk with the machine, since it's such an important step to keep the rig clean.
Mine came with the rubber disc so I figured it was part of the factory package. Evidently the U.S. distributor, Chris Coffee, throws them in. He also includes a more comprehensive manual with the machines he sells.
SnowDragon

Post by SnowDragon »

I originally called CC to order my equipment but they suggested that I order through their Canadian distributor "Caffetech".... Custom charges & stuff.

That was a good move in a sense because it was all here in 3 days from the time they shipped it. They just put it on the plane and voila.

Got it at 5 in the evening, had it all set-up by 9, had our first shot and couldn
SnowDragon

Post by SnowDragon »

Cleaning Products.

What is the best product to use when backflushing.

I have a friend that doesn
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Citric Acid is a good product for descaling the boilers but for a cleaning backflush I use the Cafiza that CC ships with the machine. I only do this once every 3-4 weeks with the Cafiza & do plain water backflushes at the end of each day.
zoey

Post by zoey »

The guys at Chris's told me that I shouldn't back flush with cafiza more than once a month (at most). I believe it also stated that in the info that Chris's sent me.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Too often is certainly not a good thing, I once backflushed a machine until the valves squeeked :oops:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:The guys at Chris's told me that I shouldn't back flush with cafiza more than once a month (at most). I believe it also stated that in the info that Chris's sent me.
Chris's manual states that backflushing with cleaner only needs to be done once a month & they don't recommend more often then every 3 weeks. To be honest I usually forget & probably end up doing it closer to every 6 weeks then 4.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Yep John! That was the deal!

Return to “Mini General Q&A”