New owner confusion??

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
zoey

New owner confusion??

Post by zoey »

Yesterday I plunked down the cash for a new Mini after being completely disgusted with my Breville.

I have not taken possession of the new machine yet.

My question is: I ordered the 15A machine but was told that I needed to buy the converter cord because the cord on the machine is set up for 20A.

Does this mean that they are actually sending me a 20A machine with the switch flipped (so I can convert it to 20A at a later date should I wish)?

Thanks!

I can't wait to get the new machine!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Yes, all the Vivaldis are switchable between 15 & 20A.
zoey

Post by zoey »

WOW! That was a fast reply! :shock:

So, the only purpose in them asking me about amperage is so they can flip the switch for me before they send it?

What should I consider doing to my machine before I start using it? I've been reading posts about insulating the boiler and whatnot.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

All that you should think about doing is pouring in some good water and dialing in your grind, tamp, pull.

Check to be sure how many amps the circuit breaker is on the circuit you are using. Most modern kitchens use 20 amp breakers but cheap out and save a few pennies by using 15 amp outlets. If this is the case for you just switch the outlet for a few bucks and run your machine in 20 amp mode.

Although insulating boilers sounds great and will save a bit of money on electricity it seems to be rather involved for the payback and to my knowledge few owners have bothered.

Enjoy your machine; I've had my VII for 11 months and love it,
Mark
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Whats the bike in your avatar? I just checked to make sure everything on my S1 was tight, flushed it a few times & started using it once I had my softener system hooked up. I haven't seen any need to insulate the boilers on my S1 but your Mini is a different beast.
zoey

Post by zoey »

The avatar is my first love (actually tied with scuba diving).

It's me racing last year. I wondered if someone would ask me about it since it's not coffee related (although a bunch of caffeine helps me to get the cobwebs out of my head while screaming around at 170mph :wink: ).

I will only have about 3.5" of clearance between the top of the machine and the cabinets so heat is something I'm worried about.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:The avatar is my first love (actually tied with scuba diving).

It's me racing last year. I wondered if someone would ask me about it since it's not coffee related (although a bunch of caffeine helps me to get the cobwebs out of my head while screaming around at 170mph :wink: ).
If its going 170 its probably not what I thought it was but what brand/model is the bike?
zoey

Post by zoey »

It 'was' a Suzuki SV650. I superbiked it with a 3mm over, high compression pistons, hot cams and a boatload of other modifications. The bodywork is from a Ducati 999.

I put an on-board camera on it last season to help me figure out where I can pick up a few tenths of a second here and there. Here's a link to some video around Brainerd International Raceway. It' just a warm-up lap but, you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDjJejEFlk
Niko

Post by Niko »

All you have to do now is put a camera on the cup warmer so we can watch you speed through the espresso raceway :P

Welcome to the S1 Cafe, nice to have you with us!
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thanks for the welcome and answers to my questions. I should probably save the motorcycle stuff for another forum and find a new avatar. :wink:
Niko

Post by Niko »

No need, love the avatar and the motorcycle stuff is cool too - that's what the forums are for, to talk about your Spaz and your bikes all in one :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

I found a pretty photo!

I guess it's time to head upstairs and fire up the stand-by Proteo Barista machine for another shot.

Even though it's a junkie little machine, it pulls better shots than the Breville. It has has never needed repair since I bought it in 1997.

The Breville kacked on me one month after the warranty ran out :evil: It cost me $32 to mail it from Minnesota to Illinois (one way) for repair and they won't be able to get to it for a few more weeks. Heck, it will probably cost me more in shipping/repairs than it's worth.

Thus, I got tired of the frustrations surrounding the inconsistencies and ponied up the $ for the Spaz.

I'll put both machines up for sale on Craig's List as soon as I get my "Real" machine. :D
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:Thanks for the welcome and answers to my questions. I should probably save the motorcycle stuff for another forum and find a new avatar. :wink:
Doesn't bother me since I have an Aprilia, Ducati, Morini & some beemers. Looking at the tail section I thought it might be an Aprilia Mille.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I love the 'Prilla's'! Which Duc do you have? I've got a 748 in the garage with about 10K on the odometer.

Here's one of the 650

[/img]
Niko

Post by Niko »

:shock: dAnG :shock:
zoey

Post by zoey »

For the life of me I can't find a photo of the Duc. She's so purdy! :D
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Here's a pic of my Duc, a 92 907ie I've ridden cross country on twice.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

My Aprilia, an 02 Futura.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

One of my beemers, an 87 R80 standard I redid as an R100/S w/ performance mods.Image

Ok, back to coffee.
zoey

Post by zoey »

NICE!!! What a collection! Now, what about that Morini?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:NICE!!! What a collection! Now, what about that Morini?
I figured I was pushing it posting 3 bike photos on an Espresso machine site as it was but here you go. The Moto Morini is an 82 3.5 Sport I bought new. There's also a Daytona Orange BMW R90/S bought new in 1976 as well as an 89 Honda Transalp, a fully restored 1973 BMW R75/5 & my wife's 02 BMW R1100S. At one time I was up to 19 motorcycles but I've simplified my life in some areas in recent years.Image
zoey

Post by zoey »

I was wondering if it was going to be the 3.5!

I love the unique and relatively rare/unknown bikes.
zoey

Post by zoey »

To get it back on topic so as not to make anyone angry~ Only 3 days until the Mini arrives at my front door!!

I checked the breaker box and see that the kitchen is, in fact, wired for 20A. Looks like I will be buying a dedicated outlet.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

well guys :D
I was really going to buy blue K1200S once in my life... but then, well I gave it up, I mean the idea of riding a bike.
In fact I don't even have a driving licence yet, I don't like cars.
Over all I think espresso coffee is a safer hobby isn't it? :)
zoey

Post by zoey »

Well, considering that I crash at least once a year while racing.......I would have to say that espresso is much safer. :wink:

Heck, it costs me about a grand per weekend to race (provided I don't crash). I could own my own coffee plantation, a custom 10 group machine, and my own French maid if I didn't race for a few seasons :lol:

I can't wait to see what fuel is going to run me. Last year it was $18.10/gallon and I usually burn through about 15 gallons a weekend :roll:

A set of tires ran $350 and last one weekend.

I'm starting to think that dropping $2K on a coffee machine isn't such a big deal.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

coffeeowl wrote:
Over all I think espresso coffee is a safer hobby isn't it? :)
Depends how often you touch that steam arm!! I've been riding motorcycles for 43 years & I'm still kicking but it is getting crowded out there on the road. The past few seasons I've spent more time exploring waterways in my kayak then dodging brain dead drivers in cars. Much more relaxing!
zoey

Post by zoey »

Precisely why I spend more time on the race track than on the street! It's just getting to be too dangerous on the street. If I am out and about, it's usually a lazy Sunday morning on way-back roads where the corn is tall and the air is fresh.:D

I would rather crash at 80+mph on the track than at 20mph on the street.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Weska

Post by Weska »

Maybe we should get admin to open up a space for Other Objects of Obsession to accompany our coffee equipment list.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I don't know if it counts but I did see that Ducati had quite a steam arm!
zoey

Post by zoey »

My 748 steams my pants every time I ride it (exhaust runs under the seat). :shock:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”