Mini temperature stability

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
rmongiovi

Mini temperature stability

Post by rmongiovi »

I'm considering purchasing a Mini, since I'm definitely only interested in a pourover, and I'm wondering about the whole temperature issue without a PID.

I've heard that the VII needs a warmup flush (rather than the HX cooling flush) if it's been idle for a while. Since the recommendation is to avoid a pourover HX machine due to the amount of water wasted by the cooling flush, I'm wondering if the same advice is applicable to the Mini.

What's the scoop on the "warmup" flush? Is the Mini's temperature really that stable with only a constant offset setting rather than a PID?
Roy
Niko

Post by Niko »

The warmup flushes are very small compared to the MASSIVE cooling flushes needed by some HX machines. You can program one of your dosing buttons on the Mini for small rapid cooling flushes, the machine recovers very quickly. You won't be using as much water for warming up the Mini.
A PID would not improve the shots on either the Mini or the VII.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Niko wrote:... small rapid cooling flushes...
:lol:
Niko wrote:You won't be using as much water for warming up the Mini.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Certainly he meant small, rapid, warming flushes, the ones we all humans and machines need from time to time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
And it's just 2oz twice and a few drops just before you lock back in (2s according to one of Heather Perry's advices, which was 'always flush!', and yes - she was in front of a GS/3 saying that :D ) - not much really.
:)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes, he did mean small rapid warming flushes :oops:

..and I won't edit to fix it because it's so funny :lol:
Weska

Post by Weska »

But more serious than the water consumption of an HX flush is the need to have a quantitative fix on what amount of flush yields what brewing temperature.

Some count that as an advantage since they can have any useful temperature after waiting only as long as the several seconds it takes to flush. The rest of us would rather have a firmer guarantee--without developing a flush routine--of what temperature we are putting to our grinds, even if we have to wait ten or more minutes to make a change.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”