Steaming on the "mini" equal to the regular VII?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
calmaniac

Steaming on the "mini" equal to the regular VII?

Post by calmaniac »

The mini-VII sounds like a great machine...and I am almost ready to buy, but....

I understand that the steaming on the mini VII is excellent, but has anyone actualy compared it head to head with a regular VII?

Vivaldi II steamer: 2.5 liters, 1250 watts
Mini Vavaldi II steamer: 1.2 liters, 1250 watts

:?: Is the eqiuvalence theoretical based on the 2 machines having the same wattage (need power to make steam), or a actual comparison? :?:

I am not interested in hot water production, just steaming milk. Thanks!!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Unless Niko buys one, you'll be hard pressed to find someone other than Chris Coffee that has both a VII and a mini-VII to make such a comparison.

However, if such a thing happens, the owner will probably be found on this forum. For now we are still waiting for the first mini-VII owner to check in on the forum and relate his experiences.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

chas wrote:For now we are still waiting for the first mini-VII owner to check in on the forum and relate his experiences.
Only problem with this is that they would have to buy both versions and report back! 8)
My bet is that they are equal in steaming and one cannot produce enough hot water multiple Americanos at once...

So, if anyone in my area buys a Mini...invite me over to do a head to head :P
errickson

Mini VII report / experience to date

Post by errickson »

Well, I am pleased to report I was one of the 1st 1/2 dozen to purchase the Mini VII from Chris. Received it the day b/f T-giving. Arrived in perfect condition, along w/ the free naked p-filter, beans, and the idp esp cups. Also purchased an Espro tamper. Had my grinder (Pasquini Moka) setup for an Expobar, so had to do some tweaking. Also bumped up the temp to 94 (arrived set at 93), based on recommendations here for Chris' Black Pearl beans.

Looks wise, it looks EXACTLY like the VII, except for the h2o tank, located b/h the steam wand.

Shots were quickly near flawless. Roughly a 22 second double with more tiger striping than I ever saw from my Expobar (as great a machine as it is)! Still tweaking (dose, dist., tamp,grind), but just for learning purposes.

As for the steam... OMG!!! The video of the steam from the VII looks almost identical to the steam I get from the Mini. I only steam enough milk for 1 cappa and 1 latte (unsure exacly how many ozs). But it takes all of roughly 15-20 seconds to bring the milk to 160'. Took my Expobar a couple minutes to achieve the same. Tons of microfoam. Chris supplied steaming instructions as well as a dvd, but I have yet to look at these.

RE: Paddle lever for steam versus a knob: I really like this feature. On my Expobar, I would have to turn the knob several rounds b/f getting to max steam. Same for shutting it off once correct temp is achieved. SO much easier (& quicker) to simply flip the lever up and down on the Mini VII.

As you can see, I am very pleased with the machine and the folks @ Chris' Coffee. For me, the VII was not an option, as drilling through our granite countertop was NOT going to happen... at least not for an espresso addiction! So, I contacted Chris a year ago asking for the next best thing. At that time he was working on the prototype, and suggested I wait for the Mini versus any alternatives (ie Brewtus, Andrea, etc). So glad I waited.

Thanks for the wealth of information available on the site. Learned a great deal, and hopefully can try and pay-it-fwd to anyone on the fence about the Mini VII.
chas wrote:Unless Niko buys one, you'll be hard pressed to find someone other than Chris Coffee that has both a VII and a mini-VII to make such a comparison.

However, if such a thing happens, the owner will probably be found on this forum. For now we are still waiting for the first mini-VII owner to check in on the forum and relate his experiences.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Great to hear!
The steaming sounds identical to the VII when you say 15-20 seconds.
:P
mikemalter

Post by mikemalter »

Errickson, I am thinking of the Mini too as I just think that I really do not want to go through plumbing hassles. How much water does the Mini hold and how easy/hard is it to refill?

Anything else you might want to pass along to a prospective buyer?

Thanks.
Mario

Post by Mario »

I was in the same boat as Errickson, counter top wise. I have tile and could not cut it.

The tank holds three liters and seems quite easy to refill. I personally also love the paddle for steam.

Two issues I mentioned elsewhere are that there is no button or light for "economy mode" as in the VII as the light for econ is used for low water on the mini. Although presumably one could flip the internal switch. Also the mini comes equipped with the smaller 4 hole steam tip.

I found the vibe pump to be much quieter than I expected. I don't have a VII but I can't imagine the rotary is that much quieter as this vibe is very quiet.

I also raised temp to 94.

Overall the machine has exceeded my expectations and although I have a modest amount of espresson experience I still manage to pull great shots right out of the gate.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Mario wrote: I found the vibe pump to be much quieter than I expected. I don't have a VII but I can't imagine the rotary is that much quieter as this vibe is very quiet.
Rotary pumps are much quieter than vibe, I had a QuickMill Anita that sounded like an 18-wheeler next to the VII.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Oh yes I know rotary is quieter but this particular vibe pump somehow seems much quieter than some other pumps I've heard. Not sure why. It sounds like a sort of low hum. Or maybe its my imagination. Perhaps Errikkson can weigh in here. Do you find the mini to be quieter than your Expobar?
Niko

Post by Niko »

A vibe pump is a vibe pump no matter how you look at it...
it may be how the Vivaldi pump is well incased in there that it dampens the sound better. I think this may be the case indeed when compared to an Expobar, anything in a big metal shiny case like that (such as the QuickMills too) is going to amplify that sound.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Mini VII and a vibe pump in that machine does not scare me away from it at all.
I wish we had a sound tech on the forums to report their findings on DB levels from both machines :D
mikemalter

Got a Mini

Post by mikemalter »

Niko,

I actually ordered a Mini from Chris on Sunday and it should be here next week sometime.

Since you are in the bay area, you are most welcome to come up and check it out when it arrives on Monday. I'd be interested in your take on the sound & ect.
Niko

Post by Niko »

That sounds nice!
We can shoot some video 8)
mikemalter

Post by mikemalter »

Also, we can do some sound recording of the pumps and put them up for people to compare them.

How do I get in contact with you?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I just PM'd you...
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

I took the Counter Culture Coffee Beginner Espresso Lab yesterday (awesome experience!). Steaming on a 3 group La Marzocco linea was not a whole lot different than the Mini-Vivaldi2. Obviously, a pro barista pounding out drinks rapid fire will deplete the steam on the Mini, but for home use that is not an issue.

I'll pay more attention to the La Marzocco next time, but I was pretty impressed with how well the Mini stood up-steam wise!
Niko

Post by Niko »

I wouldn't doubt the Mini's steam is the same performance as the plumbed (larger boiler) VII since the heater is the same. You would only run out of water for Americanos, not steam... :D
mikemalter

Post by mikemalter »

Well, I got the Mini and from the point of view of this thread, steaming is not going to be a problem. On expresso machines I have used in the past, I used (used is the operational word here) to have the habit of cleaning the steam wand after steaming milk by putting a folded towel over the end and while I was steaming I would clean the wand. The steam used to give me a little extra something that would help me clean the wand.

I cleaned the steam wand on the mini the same way after steaming my first cup of milk and the steam was so powerful that it blew through the folded (many times) towel and burnt my hand. Anybody who is wondering about the steam capacity of the mini, let them wonder no more, steam is not whimpy here.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”