Recommended settings for single/double cup buttons

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
podo98

Recommended settings for single/double cup buttons

Post by podo98 »

What are the recommended settings for the single/double cup buttons. Currently my single came from Chris' at about 5 oz. and the double pours 1.5 oz. (that is straight through without coffee loaded.)
Weska

Post by Weska »

I don't think there is any way to give you a recommended setting. Like most things in espresso, it depends on everything else. For a start, many of us don't every brew singles and use that button for rinses, backflushes or warming flushes.

There is also a camp that regards using the volumetric dosing as inferior to watching for blonding and cutting the shot by its appearance. They will typically program their dose for substantially more than any real brewing amount so that there is always room to cut it short.

Even if you aren't in that camp, the dose will depend on the kind of coffee you like, its roast, its grind--in short, on all the many characteristics that make one shot a little better than another in a close comparison.

Advice? Well, program for far too much until you have dialed in using the stop-by-inspection method. Once you are making mostly shots you consider at least very good, you can see if you can duplicate those results with an automatic shot. You'll decide for yourself whether it can be done or whether you can do it more consistently by yourself.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I program my two-cup button for 2 oz's for thermofilter readings, so I get a 2 oz double when I measure with the Scace Device. I leave it on that setting for coffee as well but I almost always cut it off manually as soon as it blondes. I almost never use the single-cup button.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have my double button programmed to give me about 2 ounces of coffee and I can generally use the button without having to cut it off early.

I have the single button set for 1 ounce of coffee with the single basket, but in reality I never use it for coffee; I use it to rinse the screen after each shot and generally cut it off before the full ounce (I watch and when the water becomes clear I stop it).

The advice of setting both long at the start is certainly the appropriate way to get yourself dialed in and comfortable.

Enjoy yourself...

Return to “General Q&A”