New club member

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jackiechang

New club member

Post by jackiechang »

Hello everyone, my S1 is sechdual to arrive Wed. It was on the same boat as Bud's. So I was alittle jealous that he's already playing with his new toy.
I wasn't a coffee-nut until about 1 year ago. Since then I bought a Expobar lever, KA proline, Rossi and mini-e. I also got an Irost2 at the beginning of this year and have been roasting 3~4 times a week since then. All for the facinating "God-shot". Which I always thought it only happen at God's will.
Anyway, notice a few others here in the Bay area. Like to know where everyone else do for beans localy? I'm in SJ (Bearfoot country), and Bluebottle is not that far of drive. Any other recomandation?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Welcome to the clan.
I'm in the Peninsula about 30 minutes from you.
There's nothing better than homeroast in my opinion, Barefoot is Good but I personally like Stumptown better but they're not local to us. Ritual up in San Francisco used to serve and sell their beans but unfortunately they roast their own now.
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Niko, since you mention home roast. Do you know if there's any home roast gathering around. I saw some 03 photo at SM site, someone had a hottop hookup to a PC. And from the discribtion the software has total control of the roaster.
I'm still exprimenting with SO. Just like to hear and taste different blen and profile from someone that had done it longer.
Anyway not asking, but just trying to my mind on something else. I'm so excited,I might not be able to fall asleep tonight and tomorrow night. And maybe the 1st and second...... :blob7:
Bud

Post by Bud »

Jackie

Ya I've been playing a lot!. Getting pretty wired these past few days :shock: -you will love this machine! I had a KA proline- a toy in comparison. You may have to get used to the Monster Steam- I'm still working on it, it will heat up ur milk FAST!

My next venture is Roasting-think I'm gonna build a T/O roaster or variation of it.

Good luck and

May your God shots be many and Sink shots be few.

Bud
Niko

Post by Niko »

I don't know of any homeroast gathering around here. I'm going to try and gather a bunch of local coffeegeeks one of these weekends for a caffeine get together. So far I got 3 people, "foreignview" - Ilya from the forums here is from the Bay Area and another 2 coffeedudes. You're more than welcome to join in as well as anyone else from the area.

You seem pretty excited, maybe you should start with decaf when the machine arrives since you won't need any help from the caffeine.
Which grinder are you going to use?

And Bud, you need an avatar, I know you're creative so let's see one soon.
foreignview

Post by foreignview »

Jackie,

Have fun with the new machine. Wow, so many S1 in the BA, must be the buttons/LED that are irresistible to technically minded :)

How are you hooking it up - filter/softener?

I think home-roasting is the way to go long term but would probaly use a new machine with a good quality commercial roast for a week or two to eliminate too many variables, that is unless you can do very cosistent home roasts (I cannot).

Does Barefoot sell green coffee espresso blends? I think last time I checked a while ago they did not.

Enjoy,
--ilya
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Bud wrote:You may have to get used to the Monster Steam- I'm still working on it, it will heat up ur milk FAST!
Reminds me of the - Peyton Manning's TV commercial. the one when he was cheering the barista, and when steam shot this guy in the face. Peyton told him it's OK, just rub some dirt on it. Typical fan thing. Then Peyton say" This is decaf, right?". Just cheering.
Keep those God shots comming.

Niko wrote:You seem pretty excited, maybe you should start with decaf when the machine arrives since you won't need any help from the caffeine.
Which grinder are you going to use?

You are right about not needing help. I watch 2 movies last night and finally got a few hours of snooz. But sofar I haven't found any decaf worth drinking(tasting).
I'm using type A mini. Squirting is common. need to comeup with somekind of air delivery system to reduce the clumping.
And yes, count me in for the get together. Yah, comes to espresso, I'm a geek.
foreignview wrote:Jackie,

Have fun with the new machine. Wow, so many S1 in the BA, must be the buttons/LED that are irresistible to technically minded :)

How are you hooking it up - filter/softener?

I think home-roasting is the way to go long term but would probaly use a new machine with a good quality commercial roast for a week or two to eliminate too many variables, that is unless you can do very cosistent home roasts (I cannot).

Does Barefoot sell green coffee espresso blends? I think last time I checked a while ago they did not.

Enjoy,
--ilya
I think it's the control "tomorrow I'll take over the world" remember Bingy and the Brain.
I have whole house water softner+RO kitchen drinking water that I'll tap into. I might need to add a small pump and a regulator though.
Home roast IS the way togo. I like to buy a batch here and there from a good roaster for reality check.
Barefoot dosen't do geen beans. I use Sweet Maria right now. And there's alway someone on Craig's list, if like to take a chance.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

I tried the de-caf from espresso vivace in Seattle and my wife and both thought it was good. Neither one of us had ever tried a de-caf espresso before that though so we had nothing to base it on. Also, I am very new to the whole espresso world so my taste might be quite a bit different than everyone elses! I can say that I have certainly tasted a lot of coffee that wasn't near as good though! I also bought some of their green de-caf and I will be roasting it this week. I'll post the results after we've tried it over the weekend.
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

RGoldman wrote:I tried the de-caf from espresso vivace in Seattle and my wife and both thought it was good.
I can recommend the Vivace decaf blend too. I drink almost exclusively decaf during the week and have settled on the Vivace; its quite good and they are local to me. I buy Vivace's Dolce blend for my wife, and I treat myself to a couple shots of that on the weekends. Definitely a difference, but for my untrained palate the decaf isn't bad at all -- and I'm a lot easier to be around when I'm drinking decaf. :-)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Scott,
as a punishment to others, they should stick us in a room with them after we both have about 4 double ristrettos.
Mwuhahaha!

I like roasting the Ethiopian Sidamo decaf from Sweet Marias, not sure if they have any left but this stuff will blow your skull off, I mean...it doesn't taste like cardboard! Only thing is that it has to absolutely be fresh and the peak flavor doesn't last longer than 6 days or so. It makes a dynamic single origin decaf espresso shot that bursts with flavor and dances in the cup for a short 3 days and it gets very stale very fast.

Jackie,
How do you like the Mazzer Mini E Type A...?!- sounds like some kind of virus. I ordered a type B last week and I should be getting it by this Friday. It'll look nice next to the MACAP but I'm moving one to another location. It'll be battle of the grinders for a couple of hours and the winner stays with the VII, the loser goes to my other S1.
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Caffeine dosen't affect me as long as I have enough physical activity that day
:blob: :blob6: :banghead:

Niko,
As far as the grinds, it's superb. 2 miner setbacks that I'll try to comeup with solution: 1. shoot too close to motor housing. Need to rotate PF handle all the way right and left for even distribution. 2. Clumping. I suspect it's caused by the peddles on the side of the bur. So, thinking about add somekind of gental air delivery inside of the housing. It is alot of money to drill in to not knowing the result though.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Clumping is nonexistent in my household, I have this strange technique I developed while using my MACAP doserless grinder. Since there's no portafilter cradle I stir the grinds vigorously with a chopstick as they shoot into the basket, there isn't a single clump this way because of the continuous stirring until the grinder stops. I had my doubts about the Mazzer doserless model and I finally tried one last week, it was a type B (now it sounds like Hepatitis) and it did very well and I was impressed with the distribution considering we let it sit in the cradle the whole time without touching it. If it works out for me, maybe I'll find another strange technique with the Mazzer but I almost bought another MACAP doserless but I wanted to go with a Mazzer this time. Life's too short not to have both.

Now I got my eye on one of those bad boy Robur models from Mazzer, only hard part is the part where I need to part with about $2200!
My grinders don't sit under cabinets so size does not matter here.
jackiechang wrote:Caffeine dosen't affect me as long as I have enough physical activity that day
:blob: :blob6: :banghead:
Caffeine has almost no effect on me, that's why I go through kilos of it.

By the way Jackiechang, how're you holding up on this fine eve of the arrival of your machine tomorrow. Do you plan on playing hookey from work and drink pots of coffee while jumping at every sound of a speeding UPS truck going up and down your street?
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Niko wrote:Clumping is nonexistent in my household, I have this strange technique I developed while using my MACAP doserless grinder. Since there's no portafilter cradle I stir the grinds vigorously with a chopstick as they shoot into the basket, there isn't a single clump this way because of the continuous stirring until the grinder stops.
Yogurt container? Like to see how it works. I make a habbit not to argue with sucess. Yet still need to be reminded sometime by myself. But I have such strong feeling that the root of the problum are those darn paddles next to the burs. Got to try from there 1st, at lease until time,cost and results tells otherwise.
Niko wrote:Now I got my eye on one of those bad boy Robur models from Mazzer, only hard part is the part where I need to part with about $2200!
My grinders don't sit under cabinets so size does not matter here.
Don't forget the Versalab M3. If you are not serving a big crowd.
Niko wrote:By the way Jackiechang, how're you holding up on this fine eve of the arrival of your machine tomorrow. Do you plan on playing hookey from work and drink pots of coffee while jumping at every sound of a speeding UPS truck going up and down your street?
And yes, you know the drill. Thats why I can't stay here tomorrow, at lease not in the morning. I schedualed a final inspection for the project I just finished. Leaving 2 guys to straiten things out here and help unload my baby if it arrives in the morning. When I come home around noon. It will either be here already or I don't have very long to wait. Hopefuly :angel4:
Niko

Post by Niko »

No,
no yogurt container for this bad boy, I ride bareback without a saddle and let those grinds rip right into the portafilter while holding it under the chute. If I add anymore gizmos to my grind regiment it would be discouraging to use it. Just a simple finger or chopstick works, the chopstick trick came along while I was pulling shots during a party, not many people like watching someone fingering their coffee grinds in the basket. And besides, after using the stick it seemed to make more sense since it broke up the clumps completely.
I wouldn't even think of the versalabs thingy, I need something like the Mazzer doserless for those mass caffeinated parties I throw - need to fill the hopper and dose my ass off.
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Do you have caffeinated blones there. Those are fun to watch, almost better then the drunk ones. I'll help you pull shots just so I can watch the show.
Yah, tonight is worst then last night. open, open, open( the old Mervyn commercial).
Niko

Post by Niko »

The only caffeinated blonde at the parties is usually my wife, she's the really tall blonde who slams coffee down with the best of them. In the mornings, she can drink me under the table - the girl can drink triples and doubles in liters. It's the evening hours when I shine, I can drink 'em all night and still pass out. You'd think "the man can't handle his juice" but caffeine has the opposite effect on me at night for some odd reason.

Now about this machine of yours, did you order the timer?
What other goodies are you expecting?
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

I did get the timer and a bottomless. Bought a 53mm fron Espresso parts when Dave had the blumish sale at HB.
Have guest comming Fri. need to dial this thing in 2 days.
Weska

Post by Weska »

I've got the same body chemistry as you, Niko. I generally take a double immediately before bed, and I'm famous for falling asleep fast.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes!!
See I knew I wasn't the only freak.
foreignview

Post by foreignview »

It's mostly the sugar, and in some cases bad conciseness, not caffeine that keeps people awake. At least that's what I used to tell my Cuban friends that would start bouncing off the celling after drinking some Caffe Cubano.

So if you fall asleep after 5 espresso your heart must be pure :)
--ilya
Niko

Post by Niko »

What is sugar?
Do people actually put that in their espresso?
Not me, I don't touch that stuff because it makes my coffee taste really bad.

C'mon Jackie!! Did you get it?!
Stop drinking those shots and report...report how the machine arrived, how the connections went, etc..
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Sorry took me so long to report. I actually started one last night and fell asleep during picture upload.
It got here around noon but I didn't have it running till 7(between cut open wall for the circuit, home depot, pickup my boy from school his baseball practice....., .....
Flushed both boiler, and flushed some more. Keep having the urge to check and refill the reservoir??
Only pull 1 shot last night, maybe thats why I fell asleep. 2 more back to back this morning and they taste exactly the same. Boy, this baby is so consisting it's fail proof. Make me wonder if I'll become more and more lazier, and forget things I learned on E61. Oh well, life is good.
I do have pretty soupy puck, and I think I like it just a little bit hotter. Back to reading and pushing buttons. And tomorrow, I'll take over the world.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Don't worry too much about the soupy pucks after a pull, jackiechang. That's pretty much par for the Vivaldi course. A quirk of them, if you will. I've never had an E61 to compare, of course.

With the Vivaldi, even when you pull a blank shot to warm up the group, there is about an eighth of a teaspoon of hot water left in the basket when you pull it out. I think there must be something about the timing of the solenoid valve that lets allows more water retention that in most other machines.

Wet pucks never seem to indicate anything about the taste of the shot one way or the other. Dry pucks usually point to overextraction or overdosing.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Jackie: I can't remember if you ordered yours with the timer or not. I don't see the timer in your photo, but it does look like that POS timer manual lying on the counter in front of your VII.

If you did get the timer, I highly recommend the rewritten timer manual you can download from this page:
http://www.rimpo.org/s1v2/
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Thanks Weska. Makes me feel much better. At least I don't have to spend hole bunch of time chasing ghost.

chas, Thanks for the link. I actually got it working before reading. and made the mistake of turning the timer off to start the S1. And had to go through the whole programming again. I'm more stress out about where to put the timer.
I also shorten the power cord.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Jackie,

Nice Setup!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have my VII in the middle of counter space with the grinder on the left side. So velcroed my timer to the top right side panel. I just pop it off and hold it in my hand when I want to use it. Otherwise it is viewable but out of the way.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Bud wrote:Jackie,

Nice Setup!
Bud, Nice avatar!
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Bud wrote:Jackie,

Nice Setup!
Nice avatar. That monkey will keep you on your toes all day long.
By the way Bud, did you fix your nanometer? Mine is a little cockeye too.

Return to “General Q&A”