Sour Shots

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
TCarbone
Freeze Dried

Sour Shots

Post by TCarbone »

I have a S1 Vivaldi that I purchased about 20 years ago. It has been in storage for about 5 years, and I am now just getting back into espresso. I have cleaned and backwashed the machine with the Urnex cleaner.

The problem I am having is with sour shorts. I've tried several different beans, and dialed in each one as best I can. The one and only thing that helps is to increase the temperature up to around 110c (which produces a shot that really isn't too bitter, but rather bland tasting. If I set it at 95c the shots are undrinkable. I'm aware that the fine temperature adjustment on this pre-2004 machine works backwards, so I am making the temperature adjustments correctly.

I've gone through changing all of the parameters trying to find another cause, but no luck.

I'm using an IMS Competition double basket. I'm grinding to get 17 grams of coffee, and tamping to 25lbs. Shots are 25 seconds at a 2:1 ratio. There is no evidence of channeling.

Any ideas?

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”