Bean grind/shot inconsistancy? Anyone?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zedex
God Shot

Bean grind/shot inconsistancy? Anyone?

Post by zedex »

So i have started on a new bean. I roast to full city +. But i am having one hell of a time grinding this bean. Yesterday i get a good shot, today it seems too tight i get about 50 seconds for a shot half the time its dripping. So i set my grinder courser, get an ok shot a bit fast but good crema. Have to reduce my grind time. Try another shot its too loose. Its ridiculous. I cant get a consistent shot. Never had this problem with any bean and have been roasting and brewing for 10 years on my V2. Anyone ever have a problem one day to the next with a new bean? Im gonna clean my grinder really well and give it another go. Driving me nuts.
Killer flavor though in this bean so even though my shots suck.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Bean grind/shot inconsistancy? Anyone?

Post by chas »

What kind of grinder are you using?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

vario.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I'd like to blame the Vario. I had an early model and it had a lot of issues. However, I assume they have fixed those by now. My Vario was the only espresso item I gave away rather than selling. I couldn't bring myself to charge anyone for it!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Oh. This vario is old as hell. :) Probably 15 years old had it with my sylvia. I know on these varios you have to run the grinder to change any settings and overshoot your setting . But never had this problem ever. Usually i can dial in and kill a pound of beans and its good no matter what bean i roast. This new bean though has me scratching my head.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

After a thorough cleaning with grindz. Everything looked good. Reloaded with beans. Next morning go to grind and grinder not working. The timer counts down but no grinding. Took it all apart. Must have been plugged up for whatever reason. All back together and grinding beautifully again. I think i will order a new motor this one is getting tired after 15 years of grinding every day.
BTW if your in the vario know. Barratza has a stainless modification to get rid of the cheap plastic portafilter holder. And it is extremely beefy not thin stainless but HEAVY and thick. Makes a big difference in the weight of the grinder and funnels the grounds much better into the portafilter with no mess. It fits perfectly to the S2. $55 its a steal and very high quality. Looks fantastic too.

Return to “General Q&A”