water overflow s1

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zedex
Ristretto

water overflow s1

Post by zedex » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi. I have a small water issue. Now this happens maybe once every 2 weeks. When my vivaldi s1 heats up, the steam boiler overfills and leaks out onto the counter. I know its the steam boiler because we have tea in the morning and i use water from the steam boiler. Usually, i fill up 1 cup for tea, and the machine refills the steam boiler. But when it leaks all over the counter, i can fill up 3 cups of water before the boiler starts refilling. I didnt even think 3 cups was possible. After the machine refills i can use the machine for 2 weeks and machine is fine, then again. I find water all over the counter.
So i figure 1 of the water fill sensors is corroded up and overfills. Second question. When it does overfill and creates water all over the counter, where is the water leaking out of? Is there a valve of some type releasing water? Hmmmm.
Thanks.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: water overflow s1

Post by chas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

There are 3 ways that water can escape the steam boiler. 1) Loose hose or fitting 2) Vacuum Breaker Valve 3) Pressure Release Valve.

You can probably rule out #1 since that issue would likely leak continually. The VBV, assuming it is working correctly, can only leak before the water comes to a boil. Steam pressure pushes it closed in normal operation. The Pressure Release Valve would cause an explosive leak when the steam boiler pressure got too high.

The most obvious place for a leak is the Vacuum Breaker Valve while the boiler is initially heating. However, this would be the effect and not the cause. The most likely cause is that the water level sensor has either been pushed up and needs to be pushed back down and the bolt holding it tightened or it has become encrusted with minerals and needs to be removed and descaled in white vinegar or citric acid.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.23 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

zedex
Ristretto

Post by zedex » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Thank you Chas. :grin:

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Have you been able to get a handle on your specific issue yet?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.23 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”