Leak from Pressure Relief Valve

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
gazsib
Freeze Dried

Leak from Pressure Relief Valve

Post by gazsib » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi all

Our few days old S1 Vii has a wee leak from her Pressure Relief Valve behind the cold water tank.
leaking pressure relief valve S1 Vii (small).jpg
leaking pressure relief valve S1 Vii (small).jpg (122.25 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
Water weeps from the hexagonal nut with a large hole on each face of the valve. Leaks enough to form a fair puddle in an hour or so. It only happens when left on, there's no leak on standby.

Is it a faulty valve or does a nut just need tightening up? Would be great if I could fix it without having to send her back.

Thanks in advance

Gaz

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Leak from Pressure Relief Valve

Post by chas » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 pm

I am a bit confused. You say you have an S1 VII but you also state that the leak is behind the cold water tank. Does that mean you really have an S1 VII Mini?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.23 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

gazsib
Freeze Dried

Post by gazsib » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:20 am

Oh yes sorry it is an S1 mini-Vii. Thanks for your reply, chas.

The pressure relief valve seems to leaking less now. I tapped the nipply bit at the bottom of the valve in case something needed to be seated better. I don't know whether that helped. Not a very well controlled experiment!!

Thanks again.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:20 am

Because of the way the valve is tilted vs position of the droplet shown, I couldn't tell if the water was coming out around the pin or through one of the holes above then dripping down. If it's the pin, then pushing it in and letting reseat once or twice made fix it. Otherwise you may have to remove the valve and soak it in vinegar in case some mineral deposits are blocking it from seating correctly.

If it is coming out of one of the holes above you can see if you can tighten that joint enough to seal it. Otherwise, you may have to remove the stainless steel section from the brass section and wrap the brass threads with some Teflon tape.

BTW: I am going to move this thread to the VII Mini Day One Issues sub-forum.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.23 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

gazsib
Freeze Dried

Post by gazsib » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks Chas - on both counts.
Sorry for submitting my query in the wrong section. Very newby of me!
The leak was from the large holes rather than the bottom nipple. But strangely it seems to have stabilised - no leaks after few hours of boiler on - so I'll just keep an eye on it for now rather than tightening anything. The mini is new so I'd hope it wouldn't have any precipitates in the valve. All the best.
Gaz

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”