New User Problem

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
Nectar

New User Problem

Post by Nectar »

I know I should probably post this in the "day 1 problems" section, but there didn't seem to be too much activity there. I just bought an S1 and had two problems: 1) I plummed it myself through the softener and filter systems from Chris' Coffee and when I turn the water on, it fills everything and then gets to a point and begins to overflow from the top of the boiler. From what I have read on this forum, this may be because of iron shavings that seem to be causing problems with a lot of machines. 2)This is the more serious problem, I cannot find a plug, socket or adapter, or extention cord from any store (Home Depot or Lowe's) that will allow me to plug my machine in. I fear that I have a machine that was supposed to stay in Europe. I've read through most all of the threads here and searched and have found no similar topics, so either this is a simple thing that I should know but don't, or this problem hasn't happened to anyone here. I would REALLY apreciate any and all help and thanks for helping out a newbie!!
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Regarding the plug: Does it have a flat horizontal, a flat vertical (90deg rotated to the other flat) and a round prong on it? That would be the connector it should come with, a 20A 115V plug.

Regaarding overfilling: Does that also happen with the machine turned off? Then you might either have the iron shavings problem or a defective steam boiler filling valve.

Wolfgang
Nectar

problem

Post by Nectar »

Thanks for replying! I think I may have figured out the prong problem, I'm pretty sure it is what it's supposed to be. I will get back to you when I get her plugged in about the water problem. Thanks again!!
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

Nectar, sorry to hear about your initial problems.

I personally recommend calling Chris' Coffee and getting some tech support from them. That would get you up and running in the shortest amount of time. Plus, you just bought a very expensive machine, it should not have problems out of the box.

I am pretty sure you have the 20 AMP model (as do I, it's still 120V, so not made for Europe), where there is on vertical and one horizonal post.

Should look vaguely like this...

Code: Select all

| -
You'll need verify you have a 20 AMP circuit (need to check your fuse box and also make sure there aren't other devices also sucking power on the same circuit) to plug it into. If you don't meet those requirements, you can rewire the plug for 15AMP and then flip the internal switch to change it to 15A. Chris' Coffee can help you with that too.

truth
Nectar

update

Post by Nectar »

I finally have the machine plugged into it's own circuit and I have just contacted Chris's Coffee and left a message for them to get back with me. I will post soon to let everyone know what we found. It is still doing the same thing: I turn on the water, it fills up to a point, and then starts leaking out of a relief valve on top of the (what appears to me to be a) boiler. Thanks again to everyone and I'll repost soon!
Nectar

also

Post by Nectar »

Wolfgang,
It does leak wheter or not the machine is turned on or not.
Nectar

final update

Post by Nectar »

Okay, so what I had was user error... a bit too embarrassed to specify. The helpful folks at Chris' Coffee worked me through everything. At any rate, the machine is up and running and pulling wonderful shots staight out of the gates!! I look forward to posting pictures of our setup here and chatting with all of you wonderful S1 users in the future!! Thanks again, all!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”