Took the plunge

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
chrisd

Took the plunge

Post by chrisd »

After weeks (well, recently; years if you consider when I first started looking at the S1) of indecision I've finally bit the bullet and ordered a LaSpaz of my own :grin: The practicalities of renting and various plumbed-in headaches meant that I opted for the S1 Mini in the end, with the black side panels.

Unfortunately the earliest they could deliver was Monday next week, so I'll have to distract myself with a pile of IKEA flat-pack that needs constructing this weekend. Considering it's my first "proper" espresso machine (I had a super-auto in the past, but please don't judge me) I'm guessing there'll be quite some learning curve, but I'm excited to get started :-P

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions, really very much appreciated!

Chris
Louis

Re: Took the plunge

Post by Louis »

chrisd wrote:I'm guessing there'll be quite some learning curve, but I'm excited to get started :-P
The learning curve should be much easier than if you rather bought an entry level machine. A big plus with higher end machines is that they provide consistency; this will ease the learning process. Instead of constantly asking yourself "What did I do to ruin this shot!?" while the answer lies in the inconsistency of the machine itself, you will be able to diagnose what you did correctly and incorrectly.

Have fun!
Last edited by Louis on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisd

Re: Took the plunge

Post by chrisd »

Louis wrote:
chrisd wrote:I'm guessing there'll be quite some learning curve, but I'm excited to get started :-P
The learning curve should be much easier than if you rather bought an entry level machine. A big plus with higher end machines is that they provided you with consistency; this will ease the learning process. Instead of constantly asking yourself "What did I do to ruin this shot!?" while the answer lies in the inconsistency of the machine itself, you will be able to diagnose what you did correctly and incorrectly.

Have fun!
That was my thinking (or, at least, part of my justification process :lol: ) I knew I'd a) get frustrated with the limitations of cheaper machines, b) always wonder if it was my skill shortage (probably) holding me back, and c) be hankering for an S1 eventually, and end up trading the cheaper machine in sooner rather than later.

I also went a bit crazy and ordered everything I could think that I might need to accompany it: obviously tamper and mat (and I already have a Vario) but knockbox, cleaning supplies, naked portafilter, steaming jug, shotglasses, a spare blind basket (wasn't sure if one would be included or not, so thought I'd buy one to be safe!) and some other things I can't recall right now. Have I forgotten anything I'll be kicking myself about on Monday? :shock:

Oh, and I have fresh coffee that's due to arrive from Hasbean tomorrow, and plenty of bottled water to fill up the tank :lol:

Chris

Return to “General Q&A”