Flying With Mini

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
yokomist

Flying With Mini

Post by yokomist »

Hello, I am a long time lurker here but have never had a question you guys hadn't already answered here on the board. Well, I have found a question and its a good one!

I am currently living in the US but am flying to New Zealand in a few months to live. My vivaldi mini is coming with me. I already have my mazzer packed in a suitcase, and a step down transformer to run the pair on NZ's 230v.

My question is this. To avoid paying $200 extra in charges I need to get the mini under 50lbs (packaged weight) Right now I have removed the drip tray, water tank portafilter to get the weight donw to 55lbs but I would like to drop another 5-10. What do you recommend I take out from the machine to lose the last few pounds? the boiler perhaps?

I have the original box but it is ripped, does anyone know where I can get a really heavy duty 20"x20"x20" box or another original one?

Thanks is advance and also for all the past info :)

Bevan
Endo

Re: Flying With Mini

Post by Endo »

Hmmmm....that is a good one.

Since they need to come off next anyway, I'd remove all the panels (top, sides, back, front). This should remove a few pounds. all that will be left is the frame and internals. With panels off you can remove other little items that stick out too (like steam wand, steam lever knob, dispersion disk, hot water tap, etc).

By removing all the panels, you can stack them carefully in another box with lots of packing in between layers and avoid shipping damage as well.

I assume you drained all the water from both boilers?
peter

Post by peter »

Taking the power cord off should save a couple lbs. too.
yokomist

Post by yokomist »

Thanks for the ideas guys,

Just to update the topic, its not easy to get the machine underweight. The power cord is hard to remove and can't just be unscrewed or anything. I took off the side front and rear panels, drain tray, top tray with surround and water tank and put it back in the box. Now due to the smaller dimensions the machine was not secure in the box and looked like a bomb (both good things to avoid when taking it on a plane!) Not to mention it was still overweight. Given the $200 charge is the same for 1 pound over or 20 pounds, I reassembled the machine.

I decided that I would rather pay and extra $200 to have the machine more securely boxed and not to have to take a suitcase of spare parts with me (all the panels etc) I then found that you can buy a bag online that fits the factory box perfectly. It arrived today and it is very heavy duty with 4 handles and will help airline staff keep the machine in an upright position and add an extra layer of protection incase the box fails in any way. Its also the max size for checked luggage (20x20x20").

Here is the link:
http://www.bomaconnect.com/baboxcosa2.html

Thanks again,

Bevan
Endo

Post by Endo »

Good to know. I guess all the weight is in those heavy boilers and frame.

Seems like you went the best route (especially considering the bomb thing)!! :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Q&A”