Hello? Is this thing on?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Hello? Is this thing on?

Post by chas »

Wow, it's been quiet this week. Is everyone off playing with their new triple baskets?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Re: Hello? Is this thing on?

Post by Endo »

Having too much fun with World Cup starting up. Also, the F1 race is going on about 1km from my house (boy is it noisy here!) Last night we had Arcade Fire give a impromtu free concert at a mall 1km from my house! Montreal rocks in the summer. :bounce: Man.....just too much partying and not as much time to think about espresso. :smile:
MichaelN

Post by MichaelN »

chas wrote:Wow, it's been quiet this week. Is everyone off playing with their new triple baskets?
I've been wondering where everyone went as well.

I have my new tripple basket; however I won't be able to use it until I get my existing bottomless PF modified to accommodate it.
oton

Post by oton »

Not playing with triple baskets, even not playing with the S1 in four days.

- 31ºC in the kitchen. Is not funny to have the LaSpaz on
- Got some problems with LaSpaz -brew boiler leaks-. Next tuesday a LaSpaz technician will come to my home to repair it. (He lives in my city :shock:)

Instead, I've been playing with Mypressi Twist to try my new ACF cups... ¿How's possible that with this stupid device can I pull sometimes better shots than LaSpaz? :tard:

Endo

Post by Endo »

MichaelN wrote:
I have my new tripple basket; however I won't be able to use it until I get my existing bottomless PF modified to accommodate it.
How much was the triple and basket from CC to Canada with shipping, etc?
MichaelN

Post by MichaelN »

Endo wrote:How much was the triple and basket from CC to Canada with shipping, etc?
The triple basket was only $11.95. It requires a larger opening in the bottom of the portafilter to accommodate it. You can either buy one ready made or else have your existing one ground out a bit more.

I ordered a bunch of supplies from Chris' Coffee so the shipping charges were distributed across a number of items. The box was about 24" x 16" x 16" and the shipping charges were only $27.50 via the US Postal Service. It arrived in less than a week's time and I had to pay an additional $28 in brokerage fees and GST. For a total cost of $55.50.

BTW, Chris' Coffee are wonderful to deal with and have exceptional customer service. They accidentally missed a couple of items that I had ordered in the original shipment. When I called back they quickly corrected the mistake and provided free shipping, labeling them as "warranty parts" so that I don't get dinged for additional brokerage charges at the border.

Michael
Endo

Post by Endo »

I've had a few small items (like steam tips) shipped from CC for less than $10 shipping (if I asked to to be shipping USPS in an envelope). Other times, if it's larger than a PF, it goes up to around $30 shipping and about half the time you get dinged at the border for tax and brokerage fee as well.

As I've mentioned before, I've had much better success shipping everything to Freeport Forwarding and picking it up myself (although I understand this doesn't work for everyone, if you are far from the border).
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

The cost of fuel to Freeport cannot be justified for a small package but It probably makes sense for a larger order.

I asked for a quote for shipping the Bottomless and triple via USPS to Montreal. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

slo wrote:The cost of fuel to Freeport cannot be justified for a small package but It probably makes sense for a larger order.
I usually just try and arrange it so I pick it up whenever I go on a trip down to the US. That way you also don't need to pay duty if you are staying a few days in the US anyway.
slo wrote:I asked for a quote for shipping the Bottomless and triple via USPS to Montreal. I'll let you know how it turns out.
That would be great. Thanks.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

OK! I placed the order.

Here is what Tynetta (from CC) quoted by e-mail:

The cost to ship the Bottomless Portafilter to Canada via USPS would be as follows: Express Mail (5 days and trackable to your door) - $35.95, Priority Mail (6-10 days and trackable to the nearest Postal location) - $23.95 or Priority Mail Flat rate Envelope (6-10 days-No Tracking available) - $11.45. Please note; we do not ship via UPSP first class.

If you wish to proceed you may place the order on our secure website, simply disregard the shipping amount, and put a note in the comment section: See Tynnetta for shipping via USPS and indicate which mail service you choose, I will process your order and ship out right away. Once shipped, USPS will email you with the transaction number for the shipment.
Thank you for your inquiry,
Tynnetta

Pretty simple and affordable.

Since they ask us to get a quote I would still ask before placing the order, if only to be courteous.

Endo

Post by Endo »

Are you worried it will get damaged if shipped in an envelope?
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

No not at all. I trust that the people at CC will ensure that the packaging will be adequate. And it is not like a P/F is a delicate article!

I can further comment on the packaging in a week or so.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Just so long as the Canadian Postal workers don't beat it with a hockey stick! :bom:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

A hockey stick would still do less damage than the USPS guys with their baseball bats. :twisted:

All kidding aside, It has been my experience that both US and Canadian Postal services do seem to take much better care of the packages than the Gorilla handlers from Fedex, UPS and the likes.

I have replacement parts coming from Britain as we speak. I'll let you know how Her Majesty's Royal Postal Service does in combination with the Canadians. I am afraid of those Cricket bats|

Return to “General Q&A”