S1 fittings for a new owner

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
ishcoco

S1 fittings for a new owner

Post by ishcoco »

Hi all - I just got my new (used) S1 yesterday, and have a few questions. What size water line are you using? 3/8 or 1/4? Do I have to use a pressure regulator? I apologize if this is an old topic, but I want to do it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ben
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

3/8" water lines. Opinions are split on the regulator, but I am using a Flojet regulator. It has no gauge, or adjustment - it is designed for 30PSI I think. I side with caution and use the regulator. Good luck with the machine...
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

padillatim wrote:3/8" water lines. Opinions are split on the regulator, but I am using a Flojet regulator. It has no gauge, or adjustment - it is designed for 30PSI I think. I side with caution and use the regulator. Good luck with the machine...

thanks - is the fitting that comes from the water line to the machine a standard size, or is it metric? I did not get the install instructions with the machine, so I apologize.

Ben
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Hi Ben

I just got my S1 two weeks ago. 3/8" lines and the pressure regulator from Chris' (he agreed with the folks here who suggested it).

It's set up for 25psi (which is the max it can allow). Chris' took care of the whole shebang - all I had to too was connect the John Guest fittings.
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

hlsheppard wrote:Hi Ben

I just got my S1 two weeks ago. 3/8" lines and the pressure regulator from Chris' (he agreed with the folks here who suggested it).

It's set up for 25psi (which is the max it can allow). Chris' took care of the whole shebang - all I had to too was connect the John Guest fittings.

OK - it would have been easiest to buy this from Chris new, and get his advice along the way, but I saved $600 buying it used, and its a really nice machine. Anyway, would anyone be willing to send me a pic of their water line setup? (this is your chance to gloat! 8) ) I sure would appreciate it!

Ben
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Here are pix of the plumb-in installation for my previous Isomac Tea. It is the standard kit you can buy from Chris' Internet site and used 1/4" fittings. When I purchased the S1, Chris sent me all the 3/8' fittings and pipe I needed to convert the setup. However, the pictures still look the same.

The only visible difference for an S1 is shown in the photo of the back side of the Tea. If you cut the John Guest tubing between the blue valve and the Tea and insert a JG to threaded connector, then the S1 water hose screws onto that. That's all there is to it.

If you order one be sure to call Chris and specific you need the 3/8" version for an S1 so that you get all the right parts.

http://www.rimpo.org/chas/TeaPlumbing.html
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Oops - sorry if that came across badly... :?

I wasn't trying to sound like "if you didn't order from Chris you stink!"

I didn't read your post closely enough to notice that you bought it used.

I just had a TON of trepidation (since I'm about as handy as a bowling ball) about hooking up the plumbing and electircal, etc. Chris' basically matched everything up for me so all I had to do was connect it all. It would be really easy for you (if you want to go this way) to order a softener and filter kit / pressure regulator (like the one that Chas is showing) and have it set up the same way that mine was. The setup in Chas' photos is the same one that I (and many here) have.

It's this one: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... enersystem

With this pressure regulator: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... latorvalve
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I believe Chris is the US Distributor for the S1 so even if you buy it from someone else Chris is making money on the deal! 8)
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

hlsheppard wrote:Oops - sorry if that came across badly... :?

I wasn't trying to sound like "if you didn't order from Chris you stink!"

I didn't read your post closely enough to notice that you bought it used.

I just had a TON of trepidation (since I'm about as handy as a bowling ball) about hooking up the plumbing and electircal, etc. Chris' basically matched everything up for me so all I had to do was connect it all. It would be really easy for you (if you want to go this way) to order a softener and filter kit / pressure regulator (like the one that Chas is showing) and have it set up the same way that mine was. The setup in Chas' photos is the same one that I (and many here) have.

It's this one: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... enersystem

With this pressure regulator: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... latorvalve
thanks - I would have bought it from him new, in the FWIW column... The machine I bought was 6 months old, and was hardly used. Anyway, my setup is a little more tricky, as I am coming up from the floor below, and will need to tap into 3/4" water lines. I will probably have a plumber do it, as I am a little more handy than a bowling ball :shock: . My whole house water is already softened to less than 1ppm, so I will not be further softening it. I will probably get a generic filter (Chris' prices on filters are not very competitive, IMO.) I am gonna call Chris on Monday and get the right fittings.
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

Chas wrote:I believe Chris is the US Distributor for the S1 so even if you buy it from someone else Chris is making money on the deal! 8)

I think Vaneli's is, too. Gene, who is the owner, is a really nice guy and has bought directly from Spaziale for years, according to him. Anyway, Chris deserves kudos for being so active in the community, and if he makes money on the deal, better yet. (He did mention last time we spoke that he just bought a new BMW). 8)

Return to “General Q&A”