Newbie Help--Tight Portafilter Baskets

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
jrothstein

Newbie Help--Tight Portafilter Baskets

Post by jrothstein »

Mini Vivaldi arrived yesterday and I set it up last night. Everything now seems shipshape and we're starting up the learning curve from a Gaggia Classic, but I've run into one problem I cannot solve. The portafilter baskets arrived in the portafilters and they are immovable. I've tried icing them and wedging the tip of a spoon under the lip, but nothing works. Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how did you solve it?

Many thanks.

Jeff
slo
Barista

Re: Newbie Help--Tight Portafilter Baskets

Post by slo »

Congrats on the Mini-Vivaldi.

When I first tried to remove the baskets from the P/F I had to use a tool. I pried them out with a flat screw driver.

Once they were out I removed the spring and bent it out, with a pair of pliers, all around to reduce the holding force. Since there is a lot of variation in both the springs and the baskets, you may have received a very tight fitting set.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
jrothstein

Post by jrothstein »

That worked. Many thanks. It's a very tight fit--I did not adjust the springs yet, but until I do I think I'll have to keep the screwdriver in the kitchen.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Yep, springs are TIGHT.

Going from an Anita, and E-61 HX.. There is only ONE thing i miss.

Ridgless baskets. I loved my Synesso baskets. However, I like the ESPRESSO on the VII more, so I can live with it :)

I think some people bought La Marzocco retaining springs and used those.. I have two, but Ive yet to put them in, as they need to be trimmed, and Ive been lazy.

I just use a flat stubby screwdriver that I bought for my Gaggia Classic to remove the screen. Pops them bad boys right out.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

The La Marzocco springs that I bought from Espresso Parts NW did not require any modification. I just put them in and have been using them for almost three years. You can either bend your original equipment springs or buy La Marzocco springs to replace them.
Good luck and enjoy the SI,
Mark

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”