Mini Steaming Pressure Video

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Endo

Mini Steaming Pressure Video

Post by Endo »

Found my camera....so here's new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE6c7ixtXzE

This video shows my Mini Vivaldis steaming pressure. It starts at 1.3 bar (static) and drops instantly to 1.0 bar (dynamic). I think this is normal. No?

After that, the pressure stays pretty steady at 0.9 bar but drops slowly to 0.7 bar after 30 seconds. Still lots of steam at that point though.

Seems the heater can't quite keep up with the loss of pressure. Makes me think the 4 hole 0.9mm tip was designed for the regular Vivaldi big 2.5L boiler and the Mini would be better balanced if it had perhaps a 3 hole 0.9mm tip.

What do you think?

Anybody have a video fom the bigger boiler on the regular Vivaldi for comparison?
java man
Macchiato

Re: Mini Steaming Pressure Video

Post by java man »

Endo, you're running at 15 amps IIRC, right?

By the way, thanks for all the videos you've posted.

I looked over the photos of my new apartment kitchen (I haven't moved in yet) and I see the choice location for my Mini Vivaldi is right next to a t-slot electrical outlet, so it must be 20A. Joy!

Cheers,

Rick
Java Man
(A.K.A. Espressopithecus)
Mini Vivaldi II
Baratza Sette 270Wi
Kinu Phoenix hand grinder
Endo

Post by Endo »

java man wrote:Endo, you're running at 15 amps IIRC, right?
Yes. 20A would be better. The steam pressure can drop pretty quick if suddenly the brew boiler cuts in. In the attached video this didn't happen.

I need to install a dedicated 20A outlet, when I have some time.
java man
Macchiato

Post by java man »

It's not ideal at 15A, but your video shows that even with 15 A, it has more steaming power than my recently sold HX machine did. My pressure dropped to 0.5 bars while steaming a 10 oz. latte. But it could recover quickly enough to do another in the time it takes to pour, grind, etc. to make the next one. That said, it looks as though even with the smaller steam boiler, the Mini at 20 amps can make shots continuously.

Rick
Java Man
Mini Vivaldi II
Baratza Sette 270Wi
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here's another video of the steam pressure drop but this time with one of the 4 holes on the stock 0.9mm tip blocked with a toothpick. As you can see, the pressure hangs around the ideal 1 bar dynamic pressure for much longer. The heating element, boiler size and tip hole area on the Mini seem much better balanced this way (and easier to get consistant microfoam).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYYltqbawLw

Should LaSpaziale be supplying a 3 hole 0.9mm tip for the Mini and a 4 hole 0.9mm for the regular S1?

Does it slow down the steaming? A bit, but it seems fine for 12 to 16 oz pitchers most often used at home.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm not a fan of the .9mm/1mm tip on the S1, too slow. I use a "custom" 4 hole 1.29 tip (was.9/1mm) for all my steaming. The 4 hole "1.3"mm tip that comes on some S1s actually has 1.5mm holes.
java man
Macchiato

Post by java man »

John, if you are a latte art fancier, do you find it easy to make high quality microfoam with the regular steam tip? How much milk do you use in your pitcher, and what size pitcher?

Thanks,

Rick
Java Man
Mini Vivaldi II
Baratza Sette 270Wi
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:I'm not a fan of the .9mm/1mm tip on the S1, too slow. I use a "custom" 4 hole 1.29 tip (was.9/1mm) for all my steaming. The 4 hole "1.3"mm tip that comes on some S1s actually has 1.5mm holes.
There is obviously a difference in the steam capacity of the mini and regular Vivaldis. With the 2.5L boiler, I would expect the steam pressure to lower by half the rate as on the mini. Which means if you have the bigger Vivaldi and a bigger hole area tip, you can get the milk up to temp super fast if you wish. For big volumes 10oz + volumes of milk in a 20 oz pitcher, the bigger hole tip works fine.

If you are doing Latte art, most people use a 12 oz pitcher and about 6 oz of milk or less for better control in singles. If you try this with the big tip you will either get macrofoam (looks good if you like *$ style capps) or an out-right milk explosion where you end up wearing it. Also, the tip is unbalanced on the Mini Vivaldi so the pressure falls like a rock making it almost impossible to get any kind of consistancy.

I'll post a video of the my stock 3 hole 1.3mm (or maybe it's 1.5mm) tip that came direct from LaSpaziale if you wish.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: If you are doing Latte art, most people use a 12 oz pitcher and about 6 oz of milk or less for better control in singles. If you try this with the big tip you will either get macrofoam (looks good if you like *$ style capps) or an out-right milk explosion where you end up wearing it. Also, the tip is unbalanced on the Mini Vivaldi so the pressure falls like a rock making it almost impossible to get any kind of consistancy.
No idea how it would work on your Mini but I have no issues with my 1.29mm tip with small milk quantities. I use the 16oz Motta pitcher for all my steaming whether it is for a Cappa or Latte. The steam knob gives you very good control if you only want a small amount of steam.
BrewHaHa
Macchiato

Post by BrewHaHa »

JohnB wrote: No idea how it would work on your Mini but I have no issues with my 1.29mm tip with small milk quantities. I use the 16oz Motta pitcher for all my steaming whether it is for a Cappa or Latte. The steam knob gives you very good control if you only want a small amount of steam.
How much milk do you steam for a cappuccino? Are you saying you use the steam knob to throttle back a bit when steaming a small quantity?
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1
Mazzer Major
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

BrewHaHa wrote:
JohnB wrote: No idea how it would work on your Mini but I have no issues with my 1.29mm tip with small milk quantities. I use the 16oz Motta pitcher for all my steaming whether it is for a Cappa or Latte. The steam knob gives you very good control if you only want a small amount of steam.
How much milk do you steam for a cappuccino? Are you saying you use the steam knob to throttle back a bit when steaming a small quantity?
I probably steam 4 oz for a Cappa but I may not use it all. Typically 6-7 oz for a latte. What I was saying is that I just crack open the steam valve when stretching & then add what I need to get the milk rolling after that.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”