Foamed milk in iced espresso?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
David23

Foamed milk in iced espresso?

Post by David23 »

I have had a couple of shops tell me they can't put foamed milk in an iced espresso due to health reasons.( but did not elaborate) I had a couple other shops give me iced lattes with steamed milk added. What is, or is there a problem with adding foamed milk to an iced drink?
oton

Re: Foamed milk in iced espresso?

Post by oton »

I dont know why steamed milk over ice helps bacteria to proliferate, however I think that pour hot milk over ice makes little sense. You'll probably end up with a watery drink. I usually make cold milk foam to prepare ice espresso drinks.
sakurama
Espresso

Post by sakurama »

I'm still trying to work this out myself. I used to ask for iced capps because it would get me less milk but coffee shops would always say there was no such thing - only iced lattes. It bugged me as I hate milky drinks. Now that I have the whole home setup I can use just the amount of milk I want and I've experimented with cold milk and steamed milk.

There is a taste difference since steaming the milk cooks it which develops the sugars and changes the taste but I don't know if it's worth it. I'm still experimenting. My favorite decadent summer drink is my iced breve: 2oz. half & half over ice in a small tall glass and then 1.5 oz of espresso brewed directly into the cup with simple syrup on top which draws the espresso down into the milk. It's sublime.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
www.gregorhalenda.com
David23

Post by David23 »

sakurama wrote:I'm still trying to work this out myself. I used to ask for iced capps because it would get me less milk but coffee shops would always say there was no such thing - only iced lattes. It bugged me as I hate milky drinks. Now that I have the whole home setup I can use just the amount of milk I want and I've experimented with cold milk and steamed milk.

There is a taste difference since steaming the milk cooks it which develops the sugars and changes the taste but I don't know if it's worth it. I'm still experimenting. My favorite decadent summer drink is my iced breve: 2oz. half & half over ice in a small tall glass and then 1.5 oz of espresso brewed directly into the cup with simple syrup on top which draws the espresso down into the milk. It's sublime.

My standard drink is very similar, but I use 2% instead of half and half, since I drink them everyday. I have spooned a little leftover foam from makng my wife's capp onto the top, and it is even better. However I am trying to find out how much of a problem that is.

Return to “General Q&A”