recalibrating steam boiler pressure gauge?

Did something go wrong? Ask about it here. Later report and document the resolution here including out of pocket costs for replacement parts.
RapidCoffee

recalibrating steam boiler pressure gauge?

Post by RapidCoffee »

Hello everyone, first post here on s1cafe after a short period of lurking. 8)

I recently obtained a used S1 (original model). The machine seems to be in good working condition, except for the pressure gauge. The gauge reads 0.5 at rest and 1.7 when heated, instead of 0.0 and 1.2.
S1gauge.jpg
S1gauge.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 16725 times
Is there any way to recalibrate the gauge, or do I need to order a new one? After pulling the gauge from the machine, I tried to open it up, without success. There are two screws on the back, but removing them does not permit recalibration. Am I missing something obvious here?

This is more of a cosmetic issue than anything, but I'd like to get it fixed. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
____
John
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: recalibrating steam boiler pressure gauge?

Post by chas »

I had a LaSpaziale Portafilter pressure gauge that I dropped. Afterwards, it exhibited the same behavior as yours. Getting a replacement guage was the fix.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

If you give up on that gauge I've seen plenty of round 60 & 62mm dual pressure gauges on different espresso machine parts sites. Just open up your hole with a die grinder or small cut off wheel to fit, pick up a brass tee & fabricate the copper connecting tube or buy it from CC if they have one. I can post a pic of how the group gauge ties in on my machine
Endo

Post by Endo »

If it's not working anyway, I try a little "percussive engineering" and try to knock it back to zero on a something wood. I'm always amazed how many things I can fix this way. :grin:
RapidCoffee

Post by RapidCoffee »

Thanks guys. I did pull the screws from the back of the gauge, which lets you twist it around to different positions. Unfortunately, when reassembled, it screws back to the same reading of 0.5 bar. Since the gauge appears to be working, I'm loathe to pull out the big hammer just yet. :evil:

Again, it's really just a cosmetic issue. The gauge is not particularly useful on a daily basis. I regard espresso manometers as a "set it and forget it" deal, and for the S1 steam boiler, it appears that the "set it" part isn't much of an option in any event.
Firochromis
Macchiato

Post by Firochromis »

Just for the records, I have the same issue. It rests at 0.5 bar, and goes up to 1.7 bar.
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

JohnB wrote:If you give up on that gauge I've seen plenty of round 60 & 62mm dual pressure gauges on different espresso machine parts sites. Just open up your hole with a die grinder or small cut off wheel to fit, pick up a brass tee & fabricate the copper connecting tube or buy it from CC if they have one. I can post a pic of how the group gauge ties in on my machine
Please post the pic.

Rhino
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Since John got a Slayer a few years back he doesn't hang out here any more.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Firochromis wrote:Just for the records, I have the same issue. It rests at 0.5 bar, and goes up to 1.7 bar.
That's the standard failure mode for the gauge. It usually happens after it has been jarred. So 0.5 bar is your new zero point and 1.7bar really means 1.2bar which is the normal steam pressure. In spite of the old post from Endo, a new gauge is the real solution or else you just live with it and mentally subtract 0.5bar from the reading.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “S1 Operational Problems”