R&R of the Controller Board

If you have already upgraded your controller board to support the new +-8C offset option and have a question or comment about it, post here.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

R&R of the Controller Board

Post by chas »

I have my V2 board out in anticipation of the arrival of the new board with preinfusion and enhanced offset adjustment. Getting at the board was much easier than I remembered. The main cautionary note for all is that there are 15 individual wires and cables that MUST be labeled so that you get them back in the correct location. So long as you do that the whole process is not bad. (Seven of these connect through a slot in the back edge of the box. The remaining 8 cables need to have the box cover removed in order to access them.)

I am taking many photos. As soon as I complete the task and label all the photos, I'll upload them followed by upload of the instruction on how to program each mode.

The whole procedure takes just a Phillips screwdriver and a 13mm box wrench.

-------------------------------

OK, all done. The first shot had a beautiful pour! Tomorrow morning I'm going to change from 2-3sec for preinfusion and I still need to check my temperature to see if an offset adjustment is in order.

At first the instructions for adjusting the offset didn't work. Then I realized that my board defaulted to S1 mode and the new offset is only available in V2 mode. So I had to change the mode first, then everything went fine.. I'm going to modify the directions from Chris Coffee to include a check for that. Other defaults I had to adjust were: Econ mode defaulted to On even though my set to 20A mode and the temperature offset defaults to 0C, but I expected that.

It's not 100% certain that you will see the same thing. I got a new board to test and most everyone else will get their current boards reprogrammed.

Here are the original instructions sheets that come with the controller board upgrade:
V2PreinfusionProgramming.pdf
Preinfusion Programming
(415 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
V2TempOffset.pdf
New Offset Adjustment
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
Last edited by chas on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
michael
God Shot

Re: R&R of the Controller Board

Post by michael »

as a concept it sounds easy; what am i missing 8)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As expected getting the side covers back on was the only PITA!
Chas
Hottop P/B
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

can you explain the use of the adjustment for the temperature offset; i have not done anything with this since i got my machine from chris coffee; how would i use this feature in the future 8)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

For starters read this:

s1v2/images/S1V2OffsetInstructions.pdf

The only difference in this controller board upgrade for the offset feature is that, in addition to supporting offsets form zero to -8C, you can now also program it for 0 to +8C. Assuming you have the ability to measure the group water temperature accurately, this allows you to program an offset that gives you precisely the same water temperature on the coffee as the temperature indicated by the temperature light on the front panel.

Franky, this feature does nothing for me since all I need is a range from 0 to -2C in order to do that on mine which I could do with the previous controller program.
Chas
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So if you press the boiler button for 3 seconds & all temp lights go out, then press on/off you will have a 0 second delay or no pre infusion??
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You've got it.

After several years with an S1 and now a V2 it's a little disconcerting to hit the shot button and not hear the pump fire right up!
Chas
Hottop P/B
Bud

Post by Bud »

chas wrote:You've got it.

After several years with an S1 and now a V2 it's a little disconcerting to hit the shot button and not hear the pump fire right up!

Ahh
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

chas

are there any more detailed instructions and pictures available regarding how to access the board and complete the removal and replacement

sorry to be a bother, but i would hate to start taking the machine apart and then get stuck or have it not work when i get it back together 8)
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

chas

are there any more detailed instructions and pictures available regarding how to access the board and complete the removal and replacement

sorry to be a bother, but i would hate to start taking the machine apart and then get stuck or have it not work when i get it back together 8)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Patience is a virtue. It's been less than 24 hours since my installation. It takes a while to pull it all together. I have a day job, too. :drunken:
Chas
Hottop P/B
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

you're right. i'll chill :bigsmurf:
Richard

Post by Richard »

chas wrote:Here are the original instructions sheets that come with the controller board upgrade:
V2TempOffset.pdf
These are the same instructions provided about six months ago when the +-8-degree offset boards were first being tested, unchanged. Given the backward logic of how LaSpaziale sometimes defines "offset," I found it helpful to note that when the instructions read "to increase the offset," it means to increase the temperature as measured at the group; when the instructions read "to decrease the offset," it means to decrease the temperature as measured at the group.
Niko

Post by Niko »

chas wrote: After several years with an S1 and now a V2 it's a little disconcerting to hit the shot button and not hear the pump fire right up!
I was wondering about that!

I'm dying to shoot video clips showing 3-4 seconds pre-infusion, it would be interesting to see it on the American setting (full 8 seconds) :P
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I switched this afternoon to 45psi and 6 sec preinfusion which is more in line with Ken Fox and Jim Schulman's experimental optimum. Tasted pretty damn good.

Their tests showed that with less than 3bar, the cake doesn't saturate through before the pump kicks in. As a matter of fact it seemed to only wet the outer perimeter and never saturate the middle regardless of how long the preinfusion time is. With 3bar and 6sec, I just saw the hint of liquid at the bottom of the PF basket when the pump kicks in.
Last edited by chas on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
Hottop P/B
zoey

Post by zoey »

Might I just interject a quick thought here.

Just a warm hello on behalf of all the V2 Mini owners, who are unable to partake in the pre-infusion party going on around here. [Making a gesture, which might be considered 'obscene' in some remote villages of Shiwa Nagandu, Zambia] :lol:

BTW~ I'm starting a support group for all of the discriminated Mini owners. :wink:

[screaming mode on] Hey! When is the pre-infusion coming for the Mini??!! [/screaming mode]
Mario

Post by Mario »

When I talked to Mary at Chris coffee the other day I thought she told me the Mini would be supported at the end of the month. But perhaps I misunderstood.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Your Mini's will be supported along with the old S1 crowd, the mechanical version should be out soon. I'm playing both sides of the fence :wink: so count me in your support group. :D
Bud

Post by Bud »

chas wrote:I switched this afternoon to 45psi and 6 sec preinfusion which is more in line with Ken Fox and Jim Schulman's experimental optimum. Tasted pretty damn good.

Their tests showed that with less than 3bar, the cake doesn't saturate through before the pump kicks in. As a matter of fact it seemed to only wet the outer perimeter and never saturate the middle regardless of how long the preinfusion time is. With 3bar and 6sec, I just saw the hint of liquid at the bottom of the PF basket when the pump kicks in.
Chas,

First Excellent job on the on the upgrade guide; you have real talent, my hat goes off to you!
A few questions I think all want to know
1. OK, are you saying that early indications appear that 45psi and 6 seconds may be optimal preinfusion for the Spaz?
2. You mention taste , due to a good extraction?; any feelings yet that the frequency of optimal extractions has improved and (I
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mario wrote:When I talked to Mary at Chris coffee the other day I thought she told me the Mini would be supported at the end of the month. But perhaps I misunderstood.
As others have pointed out, the screw-on mechanical expansion chamber will work just fine on the Mini.

But the programmable preinfusion for the VI and VII machines is not possible for the Mini because that method of preinfusion requires (1) a plumbed-in machine with static water pressure from the household water lines and, (2), a rotary pump, which allows that pressure from the household water lines to pass through to the group when the solenoid opens the valve when the pump is not running. That method of preinfusion works simply by opening the solenoid before engaging the pump; the household water pressure provides the preinfusion pressure for X seconds (programmable), after which the pump engages and the pressure ramps up normally.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

[quote="Bud"]
2. You mention taste , due to a good extraction?; any feelings yet that the frequency of optimal extractions has improved and (I
Chas
Hottop P/B
zoey

Post by zoey »

For what it's worth, I had a machine with a shaker pump that also had the pre-infusion. It worked by kicking on the pump for a few seconds (to soak the coffee), and then turning it off. About 4-5 seconds later, the pump kicked on and extraction commenced.

Return to “Post Installation Discussion on New Temp Offset Option”