Silvia upgrade to V2

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
blgros

Silvia upgrade to V2

Post by blgros »

I had my Silvia for 11 years, so it was finally time for an upgrade. I can't believe I held out for so long!

I have had my new V2 for a week now, and am really enjoying it. Even with the stock tamper. (new Thor on its way). Spent three weeks in Italy while waiting for it to arrive, and we had the brilliant idea to get it out of the kitchen and put it downstairs on the bar. I got water there, so that should work. Easier than running water through my tile backsplash in the kitchen. But there is no 20A circuit in the bar.

Turns out, economy mode isn't a big deal. Unless you're making four or more capps or lattes back to back. Once it is heated up, Steaming is so fast, and the brew boiler heats up while you're grinding and tamping for the next shot. I still want to get a new circuit run, but now I'm not in a big hurry. Getting a new copper sink put in, though, since we'll actually be using the bar more.

I really like the way the pf fits so solid in the grouphead. Maybe Silvia felt like that years ago, I don't know--probably needs a new gasket. I like the large driptray on the V2. I have to keep reminding myself I can steam while the shot is being pulled, and steaming goes so fast. The cup warmer actually warms the cups pretty well. I have to figure out now how to program the brew buttons, and what to program them to. I think it will work out well, being in the bar, and the freed-up counterspace in the kitchen is nice. But, it is nice to be in the kitchen with everyone too while breakfast is working and the paper is there...

By the way, it was interesting watching the shots in Italy. Everyone pulls singles--so that's what that other basket is for! :D Saw a couple of two-group La Spaz machines in the bars. Nice to see good coffee at good prices too, no big fancy drinks. And pretty consistently good shots from Venice to Rome. I never did risk ordering caffe correto though :(

Bryan
PBL
Espresso

Re: Silvia upgrade to V2

Post by PBL »

Congratulations and I agree with you, I couldn't believe I waited so long to change my Trevi with its pressurized pf. After a couple of shots, its great espesso after great espresso. Yeah and the hefty pf with its Mercedes like fit is really a treat. Do remember to firmlyt apply the pf or it will leak now and then.
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
Niko

Re: Silvia upgrade to V2

Post by Niko »

Nice to hear you're enjoying the new machine, Bryan.

Return to “VII General Q&A”