Found a great bean

All things beans. Discussions about green and roasted coffee beans - where to purchase them, how to roast them, how best to grind them for the S1/V2/Mini/Dream/Dream T. Also, discussions about grinder and roaster hardware.
zoey

Found a great bean

Post by zoey »

I just got back from a diving trip to Jamaica.
Finding an espresso machine in Jamaica is about as easy as finding a Sax 5th Avenue.

So, I was pretty excited to find a machine at the airport. I didn't expect to get a 1/2 decent cup though but, it was going to be better than nothing.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a really good cup of espresso! I inquired about the beans they used and looked them up on the net when I returned.

Here's the link to the company: Click on "Baronhall Estate Coffee" under the "online store". Scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the "High Mountain Jamaican Coffee". It's in a brown bag ($15.50/lb).

http://baronhall.com/
Niko

Re: Found a great bean

Post by Niko »

Thanks for the info, I've heard of that bean somewhere. It's not the Blue Mountain - hence the price being only half of it's colorful counterpart.
Let us know what you think of it on the Spaz.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I've been using it in the Spaz and really enjoy it. While at the airport, I found the coffee for $19/pound, so I sucked it up and bought a bag.

Interestingly enough, I also found GREEN JBM. I looked all over the island for green beans and couldn't find any. Who knew that you would have to go to the airport to find them???

Let me tell you, the green beans were a complete ripoff. They were something like $24/pound. I roasted some and am not really impressed with the flavor (I roasted them at several different roast levels).
Niko

Post by Niko »

You mean the Jamaican Blue or the High Mountain? Two totally different animals, the blue is much more expensive (around the $30/lb range) and it makes for a really smoooooooth cup. Not sure how good it would pull for espresso but that's not one bean I'd experiment with considering the cost.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Sorry, that was confusing:

I've been using the high mountain this week and really like it (the bean I am suggesting). I did purchase a small bag of the green JBM, which I don't think is very good for espresso.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Did you try the JBM as regular press or drip coffee?
I'm almost curious enough to throw down $$ to get some.

Sweet Maria's just got more Jacu Bird coffee :lol: - it's a dollar more per pound compared to last years crap (sorry I meant crop :lol: ).
No pun intended...it really is excreted. You can laugh all you want but it's actually very good and I pulled some really nice shots with it last year. I think I posted a video of a Jacu Bird shot being pulled on my old S1.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I don't do drip/press pot coffee. To me, it tastes like colored hot water. :roll:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:I don't do drip/press pot coffee. To me, it tastes like colored hot water. :roll:
I agree about the drip but if your press pot coffee tastes like that you aren't using enough coffee. I use 30g in my 16oz 4cupper. I actually prefer the brew in the cup filter method over the press now. So are these beans decaf or are you drinking real coffee now?
zoey

Post by zoey »

I'm back to drinking the real deal on a limited basis trial.

I allow myself one double-shot per day. Thus far I haven't had any PVC problems. Actually, as of recently, I haven't been having much trouble at all. Maybe the lack of caffeine caused the problem in the first place......yea.....that's the ticket..... :roll:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:I'm back to drinking the real deal on a limited basis trial.

I allow myself one double-shot per day. Thus far I haven't had any PVC problems. Actually, as of recently, I haven't been having much trouble at all. Maybe the lack of caffeine caused the problem in the first place......yea.....that's the ticket..... :roll:
You are going to get spoiled now. I'm still hoping to find a decaf espresso blend I like but so far no joy.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You might have to blend your own :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

After many failed attempts I've come up with a delightful Swiss washed blend of Mexican/Sumatra.
Flamenco Fair Trade Organic Swiss H20 decaf Sumatra~ Gayo Mountain lot #015/1474/0089.
2.2lbs=$12.54
Flamenco FTO Mountain water decaf Mexican Coop La Selva~ Lot#0016-2520-0301.
2.2lbs=$10.32

I get the beans from a local roaster on a will-call basis as I have a "corporate account".

They don't sell green beans but they have graciously made an exception for me.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Dagnabbit!! I just called them to place an order for coffee only to find out that they aren't making the espresso roast. They are only doing a medium roast.

The only place that has the espresso roast is the airport in Jamaica. :evil:

I've got a friend who is moving from Jamaica to the states in a few weeks. I'm going to try to get her to bring back a bunch for me.

Return to “Coffee Beans, Grinders, & Roasters”