Doser or doserless

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
zoey

Doser or doserless

Post by zoey »

I'm on the hunt for a real grinder. The La Pavoni, albeit faithful, isn't cutting the mustard for the new Spaz.

I'm thinking that $300 =/- is my spending range. Therefore, I'm looking at the Rocky. I see that Aabree Coffee has 5% off the grinders, which is the cheapest that I've found thus far ($310 for doserless and $320 for doser).

So, I've read some positive things and some negative things about both the doser and doserless.

1st: Is there a different grinder I should be looking at (within my budget)?

2nd: doser or doserless? I pull 6-10 double shots per day. Espresso only unless my wife wants a foo-foo drink.

3rd: do you know of any place I can find the Rocky at a better price?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I place my vote for doserless.
I'd go for a doser....
if I were opening a cafe! :D
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

I personally like a doser, but from what I read the Rocky's doser isn't that great.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Forgot to mention...
keep on scouring craigslist and you might someday find a nice grinder for a good deal. I occasionally see them, most of the time you can lower the price even though they say FIRM - the word "CASH" has a funny way of changing things :P
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I really like having a doser, its nice to be able to just hit the button & take care of something else while the beans are grinding. The doser also breaks up the clumps which I hear doserless owners complaining about.

This one doesn't have a doser but is another option for A Few $$$ More.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... cidlbblack
zoey

Post by zoey »

Well, for about $100 more (over the Rocky), I guess I'm also looking at the Macap M4 :roll:

Here's the issues for me at this point (after sitting on the net all day looking at grinders).

Doser: Left over grinds. No need to mix up grinds prior to, or while in, PF. More stuff to clean. More stuff to break. Still feel the need to weigh coffee before putting in PF.

Doserless: Clumping. Clogging. Using chopsticks every time I use the machine to clear chute. Not as pretty (yes, I'm vain). Most of this refers to the Macap. Mess created by thrown coffee.

Couldn't you just put a pre-weighed amount of beans into the doser and grind away? Then, simply empty the hopper completely?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I have no issues with clumping on my MACAP, the Mazzer is a Clumposaurus Rex - I've never seen worse clumping :lol:
I still use the Mazzer more than the MACAP even though it has this little problem.
I don't see this as a problem because it doesn't affect the shot quality in any way for me.
It really is a personal preference thing - doser or no doser, etc..
It depends on how you like to work, you should try both if it's possible so you can see which technique suits you better.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I wish I had a place to do so. :cry:
PBL
Espresso

I go doserless

Post by PBL »

Bought the Spaz at Christmas and the person who sold me the Spaz convinced me on the doserless Rocky. (Yes I had researched before hand.)

Faithful, convenient, wife can use it and doesn't complain, quite adjustable.

Leaves a bit a of coffee grinds lying around and clumps a bit. Solved the first problem by putting the Rocky on a small tray that is just a bit bigger than the base (wife's idea) :D . The clump
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote: Couldn't you just put a pre-weighed amount of beans into the doser and grind away? Then, simply empty the hopper completely?
Well you actually put the pre weighed beans in the hopper & grind away but yes that is exactly what I do everyday. I removed both finger guards & use that famous chopstick to get all the grinds out of the chute into the doser. Cleaning the doser takes a few seconds if you have a vacuum with a small nozzle. Once you mod the worm adjuster cleaning out the burrs is extremely easy & quick.

If you can swing it get something in the Macap M4/ Mini Mazzer class & you will be happy for a long, long time. Be sure to get one with stepless adjustment.

Whats the best deal you've found on the Macap?
zoey

Post by zoey »

I've found the M4 (stepped) for 428
Niko

Post by Niko »

I would go stepless.
zoey

Post by zoey »

It adds about $100 and I'm already stepping out of my comfort zone
Niko

Post by Niko »

Wow!
They charge another $100 for stepless?

Stepped sounds very OK to me too now! :D
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:It adds about $100 and I'm already stepping out of my comfort zone
The best deal on a stepless M4 I've found is $489.00 here:
http://www.greatinfusions.com/grdcart.html

If you go for the stepped version here's a write up on how to make it stepless: http://www.espresso-restorations.com/Macap.html
Niko

Post by Niko »

what happened to the good 'ol days when the stepless MACAP I bought was only $399 (brand new) and the Maz was only around $5-something??
:cry:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:what happened to the good 'ol days when the stepless MACAP I bought was only $399 (brand new) and the Maz was only around $5-something??
:cry:
Same thing that happened to the great deals I use to get buying Alfa parts out of Germany. George got elected twice & the country is going down the drain fast.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I'm still looking.....

Thus far:

Best deals:
Stepped doser: $399
Stepless doser: $498

Still looking though!

I think I'm just going to go with the doser.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:I'm still looking.....

Thus far:

Best deals:
Stepped doser: $399
Stepless doser: $498

Still looking though!

I think I'm just going to go with the doser.
Thats a good price on the stepless doser. Go for it! :twisted:
zoey

Post by zoey »

HOLD THE PRESSES; I've found a Mazzer Mini for $474! Free shipping

WHAT WOULD YOU DO NOW?
Ale

Post by Ale »

Go with the doser:

Better distribution
No clumps
No need WDT

Look this offer:

http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/categor ... type=store
zoey

Post by zoey »

That's interesting. I'll have to do some homework on the machine as I know nothing about it.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:That's interesting. I'll have to do some homework on the machine as I know nothing about it.
It sells for $504 new & is made in China. Some info here:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/346898 Seems to be a cheaper Super Jolly look a like. Doesn't sound too bad, especially for the price.
Weska

Post by Weska »

1) Addressing the question about putting a measured amount of beans in and getting a very similar amount out, maybe.

I have the MACAP M4 doser, which I use decapitated, and I have so far (7 months) measured both input and output always working with a single (i.e. double or triple) basket's worth of beans . I end up losing one to five tenths of a gram even though I excavate the chute first with a chopstick and then with jets of air from an ear syringe. I pulse the grinder twice after the initial output and chase the grinds out of the chute with air after each pulse.

Nevertheless, about once in eight or ten shots, I come up half a gram short. Sometimes I can dig around with the chopstick and pry maybe another three tenths off the walls with the chopstick.

Where those other tenths end up, I have never discovered. (My wife offers the suggestion that they are like the legendary 21 grams that depart a dying person, the souls of the ground beans joining the choir invisible as it were.)

Anyhow, I conclude from this that unless you are measuring input and output for each shot, you may come up with borderline significant differences in doses occasionally. Also, I doubt that the chopstick-up-the-snout technique (forgive me, Niko) can excavate that off-angled chute completely all the time. Before and after weights could convince me otherwise.

2) Addressing the issue of stepped vs. stepless, it might be better if money is tight to take a stepped M4 over a Rocky. You'll be getting bigger burrs, and I think that (Can someone confirm?) the M4 steps correspond to one tooth on the stepless. Anyhow, there are a lot of steps. In my experience (that is, with my beans and tamping et al.--all significant variables) half a tooth = half a turn doesn't amount to more than a couple of seconds difference in the pour.

In other words, I would conclude that the number of steps on an M4 is pretty satisfactory, although one always wants to have the most imaginable flexibility.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

There will always be some grinds left behind so when I do an 18g or 16g double I put in an extra .3-.5g of beans. I clean out my Macap religiously & know exactly where those missing grinds are hiding. They like to pack up around the center cone, around the outside of the lower burr & they can get under the burrs also.

With the finger guard off & a couple of quick on/off bursts coupled with the mighty chopstick I can get 95% of the stuff out of the chute. Is anyone really going to notice .3g missing from a 16g/18g double?
zoey

Post by zoey »

Well, I decided to get the Mazzer Mini.

Repeatedly, I read about how someone would buy a Rocky. Then, some time later, they would move up to brand XXXXX. From there they would either:

A. Stay with Brand XXXXX and be happy as a clam.

B. Stay with brand XXXXX but wish they had the Mazzer.

C. Sell the brand XXXXX and buy a Mazzer.

The people who buy the Mazzer's never seem to trade up for something else.

Thanks for the help guys! You really helped me to come to a decision.! 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

You got that right!
I'm not trading my Mazzer for anything now or later. It stays with me regardless.
Will I ever buy another grinder? - Hell yeah, but the Mazzer stays :twisted:
I don't really get attached to things but I have to say that the MACAP stays also since it found a great part-time job last summer grinding beans in bulk for press coffee, it barely breaks a sweat when throw 2lbs at it (friends come over when they forget to grind at the store).
Jake

Post by Jake »

You might consider this one from Chris

http://tinyurl.com/4e26gm

I have the doser model because the doserless was not available. However, when you take these apart for cleaning you do not have to readjust the settings. Everything goes back together like it was before cleaning.

Just a thought.

Jake
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Since the Mazzer & the Macap use the same exact burrs is there really any difference in the grind? I played with the Mazzer at CC & the Maycap stepless is much easier to adjust but I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. Should make a big improvement in your shots.
zoey

Post by zoey »

The La Povani grinder and the Proteo Barista went up on Craig's list today (along with a brand-spanking new Citizen ECO-Drive watch). Hopefully they will be sold so I can use the money to pay for some of the Mazzer.

I just told one of my friends that I spent $475 for a grinder. The phone went silent on her end. :lol:

They just don't get our problem (obsession) do they? :wink:
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoey wrote: I just told one of my friends that I spent $475 for a grinder. The phone went silent on her end. :lol:
Silence is a virtue... :D

or is it patience? - I forget! But who cares you're getting a decent grinder now :lol:

and John,
as far as grind quality, I can't say which is better (MACAP or Mazzer) since they both make identical shots of espresso to me :wink:
If you're a MACAP owner I can't tell you that you're missing out on anything and vice versa to a Mazzer owner. They're both nice machines.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Remember this Niko?
OK, before I start I'd like to point out that the MACAP I'm reviewing here is the "Doserless" model. Call me a snob but I don't like drinking stale coffee...let's say something that's been sitting in the hopper for longer than 3 minutes. I know some people claimed that the dosing model sweeps out the grinds pretty well but it always leaves something behind, even the doserless models leave a little.

I really like this grinder a lot and I compared it with someone's Mazzer Mini before making the purchase. Also I've noticed that some people have complained about the Mazzer's inability to properly hold a Spaziale portafilter in its cradle (probably because it's so deep and heavy). So that ruled out the Mazzer for me. The other reasons, besides price, was that the MACAP just looked better next to my La Spaziale S1 due to nice chrome finish. It also doesn't have that cord hanging out of the side like some "frankenblender" machine, I don't know what Mazzer was thinking when they designed their cords on the machines but that just "ain't right" on my counter. A major deal clincher for me was the two-finger worm gear stepless adjustment on the MACAP. I've seen the moves some people have to do on the other grinders just to change their settiings, you have to be a circus acrobat to make an adjustment.

The negatives are minimal but it can use some help in the "bib department". This thing is designed so poorly that I stopped using mine. MACAP needs to call Mazzer for help on this one. It's really not nice to have to slightly lift the front end of the grinder just to slide the bib under the front foot of the unit. This is stupid. The grinder wieghs 20lbs, I don't feel like moving a 20lb weight just to sweep my grinds a little easier.
One other negative that I noted above was about the lack of a portafilter cradle, this really isn't necessary since the unit was designed to clip an empty bag on the chute and collect your grinds and go. I just wish there was an option since they have these holes there, which are plugged up by the way, that's a point off in the aesthetics department to me.

In actual use the grinder is FANTASTIC. I've found a way to get every single gram of coffee out of the chute by using a chopstick. I hold my portafilter right under the chute as it grinds and the coffee shoots right into the basket really well with no special home-made attachments. The chopstick, again, works great for distributing the grinds as they fall into the basket at a fast pace and I finish it off with a quick swipe up into the chute and rest falls out neatly.
As for that bib, I replaced it with a paper towel since I don't have to move that 20lb monolith every time to clean the counter.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Who wrote that load?!
:lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

Funny thing is that I keep switching back and forth with both grinders...
one month I hate the Mazzer because of something and then I go back to the MACAP for a month and so on.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I do the same thing between my wife and my motorcycles. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:HOLD THE PRESSES; I've found a Mazzer Mini for $474! Free shipping

WHAT WOULD YOU DO NOW?
Doser or naked?
zoey

Post by zoey »

Doser.

Too late bub. I placed my order on Saturday morning. :wink:
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I upgraded from a Rocky to a Mazzer Mini several years (and two espresso machines) ago.

I have never regretted it or looked back. Back then I think it cost me $375 or so... Man, have prices changed!

Yes, it does clump a bit from the chute to the doser, but I use a chopstick to clean out the chute and stir the coffee that it's the doser at the same time. I get gorgeous shots, so suppose it's not something that bothers me...

I fully expect to give my Mazzer to my kids! :D
zoey

Post by zoey »

I just sold my Proteo Barista this morning. Sold it within 14 hours of posting it on Craig's List. I've owned it since 1997 and got $100 for it. Not bad.

So, now I've got $100 to put towards the bill for the new grinder. :D
The guy wants to buy my La Pavoni grinder ($20). I need to keep it until the Mazzer arrives. I should see it on Wed or Thurs.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:Doser.

Too late bub. I placed my order on Saturday morning. :wink:
Yea, I knew you bought one just curious which version. Let us know what you think of the adjuster on the Mini. Pulling the release pin on the one at CC convinced me that the Macap with worm drive was the way to go. Hopefully they aren't all that stiff.
caf4brains

Post by caf4brains »

Just a couple of comments:

I used to use the "chopstick up the snout" to clear out the retained grounds on my Macap, but switched to a 50 cent brush from the hardware store. The brush is designed to be used to spread flux for soldered joints. I like it over an artist-type brush because it is short, easy to use, and the bristles are short and wide.

Others have noted that feeding only a measured dose of whole beans into the grinder causes "popcorning" when the throat empties and the burrs fling the last few beans around. This supposedly affects the quality of the grind, but also is a bit messy. My solution is to remove the grinder hopper entirely, load a measured amount of beans for a single shot into the throat, and put an old portafilter basket on top to contain the beans. Although I often weigh the beans with a new blend, I usually dose beans directly into the basket, eyeballing the volume. If I need to grind more than a single dose, I use a cut-up yogurt container that fits nicely in the grinder throat and put the basket on top of the beans.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I weigh my beans in an old 1/4 cup measuring cup. After I drop in the beans I set the cup on top of the grinder throat to prevent popcorning.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Let us know what you think of the adjuster on the Mini.
I will! I see that UPS got the grinder today! Yippee!

Hey, I was fretting over spending more money on a new 58mm tamper to use as a "block" in the throat of the Mazzer.

I really like the idea of using one of my extra portafilter baskets!
Niko

Post by Niko »

JohnB wrote:Pulling the release pin on the one at CC convinced me that the Macap with worm drive was the way to go. Hopefully they aren't all that stiff.
I think my right arm is getting a good workout from the Mazzer. You are correct-o-mundo about this one, John. The Mazzer needs some serious torque to turnImage
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I run my Mazzer without the hopper and I have a blind basket covering the throat. That's also where I store my tamper when not in use... :wink:
Niko

Post by Niko »

My tamper is parked on top of the Mazzer lid grooves laying sideways. 8)
Weska

Post by Weska »

I arrived at the same solution, JohnB. My measuring cup doubles as a cap for my M4 while it grinds. Popcorning is not eliminated because the beans can still leap off the burrs and be ground in a slightly different fashion than by being pressed into the burrs, but the mess is confined pretty well.
gsscott

Macap Doser

Post by gsscott »

I got a Macap Stepless Doser at the beginning of the year from Chris' and I am very happy with it. I have not had a Mazzer to compare it with, but I have no clumping and the grounds are nice and fluffy. I don't weigh my coffee beans, I time for about 15 sec per double shot, then I start thwacking away with the doser handle, pull off the cover to the ground coffee, brush the grounds (I also removed the guard) then thwack again. The adjustability of the stepless is outstanding. The grinder is just great.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I got my Mazzer Mini (doser) today!!!! 8) 8)

This is just a first-impression report (I've only had the machine for about 5 hours).

I ordered it from Aabree coffee for $475. It was double boxed with popcorn foam around it. No problems with Aabree at all.

On a side note, if I ever figure out who the h*ll invented popcorn packing, I'm killin' them. No if's, and's or but's about it.

The instruction manual is rather sparse, but that's fine because there really isn't that much to know. I found this to be funny: "WARNING! This appliance is intended for skilled personnel only. For commercial use, NOT for household use". Throughout the manual it explicitly states that the warranty is voided if the owner removes any of the bolts, nuts, or screws of the machine.

It's a heavy and firm machine. I see quality when I look at the machine. There are three parts of the machine that don't speak quality to me.

1. The bean hopper. It just looks and feels cheap.

2. There is a little plate that catches grounds. It pseudo attaches to the bottom of the machine by (sort of) clicking into place. It's cheap and the way it attaches is just as cheap.

3. The "coffee pressing device" (as they call it) is of the same cheap plastic as the hopper/lid.

The rest of the machine exudes quality. It looks, smells, and tastes like quality. I'm sure this machine will outlive me.

The machine is pretty quiet. Especially when compared to my La Pavoni (which I sold on Craig's List today). It might be even more quiet if the hopper was attached and full of beans ( which, by the way is another condition that voids the warranty).

It grinds relatively quickly. I haven't had a chance to time anything as of yet. The grind is exceptional! Very even, and dare I say, FLUFFY! No clumping whatsoever.

I measured out 16g of beans and dropped them in the throat. I weighed the excreted beans and came up with 11g. So, I did it again. The second time I came up with 13g. The third time I came up with 16g spot on.

All of the following doses were 16g in, 16g out.

I see that there is a minuscule amount of coffee left in the bottom of the doser. Honestly, it is such a tiny little amount that it makes absolutely no difference to me.

The Mazzer needs some serious torque to turn

NIKO: No offense my friend but, you are a Pansie. :wink: ( I hope you have a sense of humor)

I find the adjustment to be very easy. However, without the grinding adjustment handle, I could see where it would be difficult. Making finite, infinite adjustments is very easy.

Initially, I found the zero point and backed the machine off a bit. I marked the zero point with a permanent marker. I decided to begin by grinding beans at the factory determined marker. Turns out that they were pretty close to where I dialed the machine in to.

Just for giggles, I moved the adjustment wheel from the 4 to the 5 mark and pulled a shot. Little movements appear to make big differences as the shot at "5" was complete garbage (2 shots in a row). I moved it back to 4 and the problem disappeared.

A few little adjustments and I am now pulling the best shots of my life. Crema that's almost 50% of the shot (with staying power beyond my wildest imagination), a nice thick cone with beautiful tiger-striping..........

So, in conclusion, I want to thank everyone who told me: "Hey, your problem is that your grinder is junk. If you want good shots, you need a real grinder". All of you were absolutely on the ball. :D
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

Congrats on the new grinder. If you keep getting 50% crema in your shots you are going to have to move this thread to the God shot thread. :)

My friend who also has a Vivaldi has his paired with the Mazzer Mini and is pleased as punch, unless he gets some coffee that he can't do sh*t with. For the time being I will stick with my buddy Rocky. :)
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
zoey

Post by zoey »

I bought some "as advertised" FRESH, LOCALLY ROASTED coffee from the grocery store today. The roaster is actually well known locally.

I bought them just to get the grind close (feel) before I moved to my own roasted beans. I couldn't get myself to waste home-roasted beans. :wink:

I decided to run a head=to-head test of the "fresh" local beans and my own, garage roasted brand (we'll call it "Zoey blend" :lol: ).

My beans, roasted this morning, produced a +50% crema with some serious staying power, wonderful tiger striping, a thick and creamy cone, and tasted wonderful.

The FRESH beans from the grocery store was flat with virtually no crema, no staying power of what crema there was, and was flat/high-acid.

Honestly, these are the best shots I've ever pulled. I don't know if they would qualify as a God shot though. I need to see and taste a God shot before I could make the distinction.
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoey wrote: 1. The bean hopper. It just looks and feels cheap.
TRUE. The MACAP hopper is a little thicker but they had to keep the grinder under 95lbs :wink:
...oh, and you can fit a MACAP hopper on the Maz if you'd like.
zoey wrote: 2. There is a little plate that catches grounds. It pseudo attaches to the bottom of the machine by (sort of) clicking into place. It's cheap and the way it attaches is just as cheap.
The MACAP bib is a joke. BTW, you can get a metal one for the Mazzer.
zoey wrote:
The Mazzer needs some serious torque to turn

NIKO: No offense my friend but, you are a Pansie. :wink: ( I hope you have a sense of humor)

I find the adjustment to be very easy. However, without the grinding adjustment handle, I could see where it would be difficult. Making finite, infinite adjustments is very easy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Man, that's some good stuff!

Actually....the Mazzer does SUCK big time compared to the MACAP for this. I was only comparing the two and MACAP pretty much handed Mazzer their asses on this one. :oops:
I think all the MACAP owners with the worm gear will say the same thing after they adjust a Mazzer collar.

Nice to read about your new grinder! Enjoy 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote: The MACAP bib is a joke. BTW, you can get a metal one for the Mazzer.
Works fine for me. Catches the grinds that miss the p/f & is easily removed by tipping the grinder back. Since I vacuum everything out daily I only remove it once a week for serious cleaning. I thought that anti popcorn sliding piece was chintzy so I removed that but the bib is ok.
zoey

Post by zoey »

you can fit a MACAP hopper on the Maz if you'd like.
Aside from the looks, I kind of like it without the hopper! :wink: Where did you find the metal bib?

I've posted a video of a shot with the new equipment. I'm just waiting for YouTube to approve it.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I didn't get a metal bib but others have mentioned it.
My guess is EPNW or somewhere similar...

Another thing I forgot to mention is how much I hate the MACAP trap door on the hopper. I know some people don't like using the hopper but to me it's like walking out of the house with no pants on :oops:
The little trap door (or gate) on the Mazzer works great, just pull it open a couple of times and the beans shoot down the throat of the grinder, the MACAP needs a little more work to wrestle the beans. With a little anger management I can actually use the MACAP grinder for espresso sometimes :lol:
zoey

Post by zoey »

Part of the issue is that my cabinets aren't high enough to easily get the hopper lid off. So, it's just easier to leave it off.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention is how much I hate the MACAP trap door on the hopper. I know some people don't like using the hopper but to me it's like walking out of the house with no pants on :oops:
The little trap door (or gate) on the Mazzer works great, just pull it open a couple of times and the beans shoot down the throat of the grinder, the MACAP needs a little more work to wrestle the beans. With a little anger management I can actually use the MACAP grinder for espresso sometimes :lol:
So take it out!! That was gone the first day I got the grinder. I like having the hopper on there but I always only measure & grind per shot. Nothing stays in the hopper.
Niko

Post by Niko »

No way.
It's stock or nothing here :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Nothing I own stays stock for long!! Don't tell me you still have the finger guards on there?? Haven't modded the worm adjuster yet?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Of course I still have the finger guards and worm adjuster!
Look who you're talking to, John.
It's me, Niko a.k.a. Mr Lazy :lol:
Too bad we aren't neighbors...you can super mod my coffee stuff and I'll pimp out your computer - now that's something that I'm not too terribly lazy to do :lol:

...my ride has some decent HP along with 8 Terabytes of real estate 8)
zoey

Post by zoey »

Initially I was looking for some spinners for my Hp Pavilion but, given the amount of snow/ice up here I opted for a set of these with some low-pro Pirelli's. :lol: Image
Niko

Post by Niko »

sweeeeet 8)
zoey

Post by zoey »

The hard drive is getting an air system with skid plates next week. I should be able to raise/lower the puter by a good 2ft with the F6 button. :lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

The F10 button is for hydraulics to pump the puter up and down when a sexy laptop walks by :lol:
You ought to see the grill on this thing, it's even liquid cooled!
....actually, that's not very funny since this is one of those Apple units who has a history of leaking coolant :twisted:
I'm crossing my fingers....
zoey

Post by zoey »

:lol: :lol: I think I've taken this joke about as far as can.

Off topic but heck, it's my post right? I moderate 2 other sites with a combined membership of >80,000. There is more posting going on here than both the sites combined.
Niko

Post by Niko »

With a mouth like mine it's easy to reach 80,000 posts in no time.
You ought to see me in person, I can't shut up :lol:

Well, it's still a nice thread.
It started off nicely when you were on a quest to search for a real grinder. You did your research, worked within your budget and came out on top with a nice top grade unit. This will be a fine example for others to follow and even get a little entertainment out of it.
You should report back after a week or so and tell us what you think of the grinder, do tell what you like and especially dislike about it.
The dislikes will definitely come later :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

I plan on doing it :wink:

I've been using an extra PF basket in the throat. It is a little small and rattles around. The opening is 58.16mm so I should start looking for a cheap but nice looking tamper to replace the basket.

Any suggestions?
zoey

Post by zoey »

Almost forgot: mgwolf has kindly invited me over to his house for a little tutorial session. He's got a Mini II and a Mazzer Mini.

I'll need to roast some beans for him.

This site needs a "talk about anything" forum. Some place where we can shoot the breeze about anything but coffee.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:Of course I still have the finger guards and worm adjuster!
Look who you're talking to, John.
It's me, Niko a.k.a. Mr Lazy :lol:
Too bad we aren't neighbors...you can super mod my coffee stuff and I'll pimp out your computer - now that's something that I'm not too terribly lazy to do :lol:
...my ride has some decent HP along with 8 Terabytes of real estate 8)
The would be nice, unfortunately there are approx 2900 miles between our yards. I can deal with plumbing, wiring, carpentry, car/motorcycle repairs & fun stuff like modding espresso equipment but computers are alien territory. Thank god for the 4 year warranty on this Dell as they've replaced just about everything at this point. We'll try an Apple next & yes it will probably remain stock also.
caf4brains

Post by caf4brains »

I've been using an extra PF basket in the throat. It is a little small and rattles around. The opening is 58.16mm so I should start looking for a cheap but nice looking tamper to replace the basket.
I've got that problem covered with a little hi-tech masking tape - a temporary fix until I get inspired to make something to go with the glamorous M4. It's surprising how long temporary is!
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Finally getting caught up on the espresso boards again. Back to your earlier discusson on grinder trays. I use this one from Great Infusions. Without the knockpad. It works great and catches the vast majority of my spillage.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “Coffee Grinders”