Just my observations about my new Mini

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
goldscalpel

Just my observations about my new Mini

Post by goldscalpel »

Hello,
I've had my Mini for about 1 month and I absolutely love it!
I have followed many of your advice and have gradually improved my results.

Being consistent (about bean type, grind setting, tamping technique, amount of beans, etc) has really helped me understand what or where the problem may be. I also use the weight of espresso in gm, not in oz. I found using oz, I had know idea when or where to stop. I was always overextracting by 1 oz!!! Using the weight in gms helped me better appreciate the changes of flow and color.

The Macap M4 stepless doser has worked great for me. I know when I sweep out the doser, I get very close to the amout I put in.

I bought some more double baskets from espressparts. My original baskets' inner diameter was 53.4 and 53.6. The ridges made it so only the 53 mm tamper would fit. My new ones are both 53.7 mm. I now use my Reg Barber 53.6 mm tamper and it fits great.

I have recently gradually increased my dosing from 14 gm to 18 gm with great results. I have found it easier for me now to use the larger dose. This was quite the opposite when I first started.

Steaming milk continues to remain relatively simple.

I have been using Black Cat exculsively (bought the big bag). Will try something new next. Any other recommendations will be welcomed.

Nana
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for the heads up on the slightly larger baskets as I've had the same issue. Check out the Coffee Beans section for opinions on some different blends. Also check out this link I posted for your Macap if you haven't already seen it.
wforum/viewtopic.php?t=697
PBL
Espresso

New owner

Post by PBL »

Better late than never but congratulations on your new Spaz.

Never weighed my grinds, just fill basket and level with my index finger before tamping. I have been reasonbably effective in getting a good to great shot. However lately when I switch back and forth between the single and double I end up with the single pulling long and the double coming out too fast. Been compensating by trying to adjust grind and tamping pressure, so far not consistent. I really do have to get a good tamper though.
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky

Return to “Mini General Q&A”