Water line hookup

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
blgros

Water line hookup

Post by blgros »

I'm debating between the VII and the Mini.

I downloaded the owners manual and there's nothing there about hooking up the water line.

Anyone got pictures? Same kind of hookup as an icemaker I assume?

Thanks

Bryan
Oakland, CA
PBL
Espresso

Waterline

Post by PBL »

I would highly recommend plumb-in, if at all possible. You will love it everyday.

Yes it is similar to the icemaker line but I would not use the tap-in type connector used on some icemakers. You want a quality line with normal regular house water pressure, the icemaker lines work well with lower pressure.

I used a standard copper T joint in the cold water line under the sink. I used a standard quarter turn lever valve (they rarely if ever leak) on the 1|2 o.d. copper pipe and attached the hard plastic pipe from the supplied adapter to the valve using a standard fitting. The supplied American to British standard fitting went right into the fitting on the braided La Spaziale hose.
:D
A number of owners have been using pressure regulators and quality water filters. Where I live I have not needed them.

Sorry I don't have a picture but will get one. :D
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

Here is a photo of the plumbing.
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

ImageImage
blgros

Post by blgros »

excellent.

thanks.
Niko

Post by Niko »

blgros

Post by blgros »

So I gather the VII comes with a braided SS water line. How long is the line it comes with? Can it be pulled off and replaced with a shorter line if needed, or does it not come off of the machine?

Is this line 1/4" or 3/8" or something else? With a standard NPT threaded fitting on the end?

Does it come with any adapters or anything?

I'm trying to figure out this plumbing thing. I've got granite counters with tile backsplash, so I'll have to drill through the tile and figure out how to thread the plumbing through the wall. Then I go either through the back of the cabinets to the sink, or through the wall to the crawl space and tie into the water there. Thanks for your help.
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's roughly 40" long (I'm guessing) since it's not in front of me at the moment. You can change it, the hose isn't permanently connected to the machine. The standard adapter it comes with is 3/8, I think you can ask for 1/4 if needed.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

Niko wrote:The standard adapter it comes with is 3/8, I think you can ask for 1/4 if needed.
Huh? What? Do you have a picture??
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Look through the Plumbing & John Guest pages at ChrisCoffee & you will see the various fittings/adapters.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Not sure, I might have a picture....I'll take a gander when I get home.
John's right, Chris' website should have pics of all the connectors.

I might have a few extra kicking around in a drawer along with 52,482 tampers....
I'll upload a pic if they haven't been given away yet.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I think I did get one.

What I REALLY need is a Brass Connector 3/8" Male BSPT to 3/8" Standard Female. I'll keep looking!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Bushrod wrote:Ah, I see what you're saying now. I think I did get one.

What I REALLY need is a Brass Connector 3/8" Male BSPT to 3/8" Standard Female. I'll keep looking!
This place: http://www.allvalleyhose.com/ Shows some here:
http://www.allvalleyhose.com/catalog/pdf/Metric.pdf So they are available.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

Awesome, thanks! I found one online for $20 with a three week wait, too.
blgros

Post by blgros »

Thanks for the help.
Order went in today for a VII and water filter kit.
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

One other tip. You can try mounting your filters, valves and regulator on a plywood board first. It's easier to everything bolted down and hooked up. Then just screw the plywood plate to the inside of the cabinet when you're ready.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “VII General Q&A”