steam control

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
doppio

steam control

Post by doppio »

Just rec'd my S1 and Mazzer mini from Chris'. Thanks to Chas for this site which helped me in my decision making and to Chris for such awesome service!
Everything is tuned in and working great. The only oddity I have experienced is that my steam knob must be turned approx. 1/2 turn before it engages and then the another 3/4 turn for full steam power. Is this normal or is there an adjustment that can be made to eliminate the initial "dead spot"?
Also, any tips on daily/weekly/monthly cleaning of the mini Mazzer would be appreicated. The residual grinds in the hopper and doser drive me crazy.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I'm so used to the way my S1 works I'm not sure how far I have to turn the steam knob for a given amount of steam. I try to pay attention tomorrow.

Welcome to the world of the Mazzer Mini. I traded up to the Mini-E several months ago so I don't have this problem any more though that's an expensive way to save from brushing out the doser.

When I had the original Mini my method was as follows:
  • - Weigh the desired amount of beans and place in hopper
    - Grind entire amount
    - User a round brush to brush grounds out of grinder throat opening into doser
    - Dose grinds into PF
When you want to clean out the doser use the brush while operating the doser to sweep the grounds out.

My brush is like this one: http://www.espressoparts.com/product/3007

You'll find lots of other more creative solutions if you Google alt.coffee
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: steam control

Post by chas »

doppio wrote:...
Everything is tuned in and working great. The only oddity I have experienced is that my steam knob must be turned approx. 1/2 turn before it engages and then the another 3/4 turn for full steam power. Is this normal or is there an adjustment that can be made to eliminate the initial "dead spot"?
Sounds like yours works the same as all others. I turn my knob 1/2 turn before I feel any resistance. Over the next 1/4 turn it ramps to full steam power. I don't notice any more pressure increase over the remaining 1/2 turn of travel.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
doppio

Thanks for the input

Post by doppio »

Chas - Thanks for the tips on the Mazzer. I read your review of the mini E on coffeegeek which outlined your routine for the mini w/doser. I've adopted the same routine.
I've had the S1 for 2 weeks now and LOVE it. Had my first party and served 6 people effortlessly. Shots are consistent and delicious.
Can't wait for my bottomless PF to arrive.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

My understanding is the "full commercial" valves don't really have the compression type of resistance that we're used to.

I know my Tea was like that. The S1 is a whole new ballgame. Supposedly (per Chris) the steam knob on the Andreja Premium works and feels exactly the same way.

Return to “General Q&A”