Finally IT is here!

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
ebohling

Finally IT is here!

Post by ebohling »

Just getting things setup, but was wondering about all those stickers on the mini-VII. Can I remove any of them? Just as the hot warning on the brew head? What about all those on the front?

http://ebohling.com/word/entry/new-spro-gear-is-here/
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

another newbie question: the portafilter "spouts" initially twist onto the portafilter easily, but quickly become very difficult to turn. Should you really have to muscle them together or do you even need to thread them together tightly?
Niko

Post by Niko »

All those stickers are news to me, the only stickers I have is the lonely one hidden by the drip tray.
As for the PF spouts, they are TOUGH.
See this thread: http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.p ... ight=#7089

Enjoy your new machine! :P
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

thanks niko!

and before i go thru a whole pound of espresso i have some follow-up questions.

maybe i'm impatient, but it seems to be taking a while to dial-in the new setup. looks like others deal with this as well (such as wforum/viewtopic.php?t=660).

i first went with chris' suggestion and zero'd in the macap, and then backed off 2.5 numbers...waaaay to course. grinds everywhere. gonna take some time to clean up that mess. so the than i went back down a full stop...that was way to fine...however, maybe i better ask a question FIRST.

do you use the 2 oz default coffee button? or do you manually turn on/off with 1 cup button? or ???

i may have the grind right, but if i use the 2 cup button it shuts off when only a splash is in my cup. bummer!

my spent pucks seem a bit dry. they never come out of the portafilter whole. seem to break off halfway, then i have to dig out the bottom layer. maybe it is due to the pucks being deeper than i'm used to.

lend a spro bro some help? :)
Niko

Post by Niko »

When you zero out the MACAP, I'd go about 1 number setting coarser and start from there - you might choke the machine but at least it's closer. Dialing it in will take a little while because the grinder always holds some of the old grinds in it (the burrs and chute, etc..) so it takes a couple of shots to get the setting it's on.
As for the shot buttons, I use the 2cup button for a double and almost always cut it off manually as soon as the shot blondes. I use the single cup button for triples.

Don't worry about how the pucks look, mine look disastrous sometimes but the espresso is really good.
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

if i use the 2 cup button (which is exactly 2 oz if i run it with no portafilter), i only get a splash in my cup...not even an ounce. but the grind is NOT too fine because if i run it manually i get 2 oz in 15-20 seconds...which means it is too course. i'm using an espro tamper and scale to keep those variables constant.

i guess my question is...did you change the default timing for the 2 cup button?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes I did change the default volumetric dosing...
not sure if Chris' even touches the dosing much since the end user should really be doing the fine tuning.
You should load up some coffee and follow the dosing instructions, it's pretty easy - just hold down the power button until the LEDs start blinking, let go and then hit the 2-Cup button to start the dosing and then hit it again to cut the flow off in order set it to that desired volume.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

2 oz out of the 2C button isn't enough to pull a 2 oz shot. Follow the instructions in the manual to set the amount of water you want.

My Macap zero'd at 1.6 & I typically grind at 3.4. If you move 2 whole numbers up from your zero you will be in the ballpark & can fine tune from there.
ebohling

Post by ebohling »

ok, tomorrow i'm getting some fresh bean, that stuff that chris sends out is awful (sorry chris) to my liking. too light and seems old. i used a 3.5 week old bean from a local roaster and it was much better (though obviously not superb).

one thing i did notice is that i often got channeling on one side...the same side that the pucks have no holes. all 3 of my pucks (two that came with it for singles and doubles and a double that came with the naked portafilter) have 1/3 of a side (it's a circle, so not really a side) that does not have holes. it's obviously designed this way, but why? seems to cause some channeling. anyone else notice that?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Your life is about to change....
when you get fresh coffee :D

You also need coffee loaded to pull a real shot to set the volumetric dosing, water alone won't do it correctly.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”