"No burn" steam arm

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
zoomin

"No burn" steam arm

Post by zoomin »

I went for this upgrade available at chriscoffee but i have to say, it gets just as hot as the old one :(

Anyone else find this?
Niko

Post by Niko »

There must be some kind of leak...
Maybe the seal isn't happening at the tip where there's a small O-Ring connecting to the tube on the inside.
I would take it apart, clean it and try re-seating it.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

I see the rubber O-ring where that seals the tip on, but you are saying there should be another O-ring that seals the teflon tubing in some way?
Niko

Post by Niko »

No, but somehow the heat must be transferring through there causing the the arm to get hot...

That ring seals the heat inside that white plastic tube keeping it away from the metal wall of the arm.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

So I take it you've installed the upgrade and the arm does not get hot to the touch for you then?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yes, I have all the arms.
It did not get hot, I can hold it with my bare hands while the steam is running full blast.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

ok, thanks.

i definitely have done something wrong then
Niko

Post by Niko »

Carefully try removing the tip, maybe try some food grade lubricant so the O-Ring has a better seal against the teflon tubing inside the arm.
There isn't much to it...maybe it's just loose or the tiny O-Ring is dried out resulting in the poor fit.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

well, I immediately put the newer, four small holed tip on the end of the arm. I see now that the tip that came with the new *no burn* arm does have a little plastic gasket inside of it, sealing the teflon tube snugly. So i guess the new no burn arm cannot be used with the new and improved 4 small holed steam tip.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You have to mod it to fit the No Burn arm, wrap it with Teflon tape a few times to create the seal.
Check this thread out:
http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.p ... ight=#5222
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

confirmed.

In addition to the black O-ring, the new no burn arm has a white plastic ring inside the removable tip that seals the teflon or plastic tubing.

Neither the original four holed tip, or the newer four small-holed tip have this plastic seal so when used with the no burn arm they do not seal and the arm gets hot.

I hope this new tip with two large holes froths as well as the four small-holed tip does...which itself was quite an improvement over the stock steaming tip, for me.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The No Burn arm works quite well, the only reason I'm not using it at the moment is because I kept swapping the arms back and forth so I got tired of it. Like them both, I wish the machine was a 2-group with 2 arms so I can have one of each but at this point I'm just going to install the No Burn arm on my other S1, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
The only things that bothered me with this arm is the 2-hole tip (this is no problem once you get used to it) and the angle of the arm is kind of strange. I think the angle is that way so it flares out on the QuickMill machines so you can actually have room to froth.
zoomin

Post by zoomin »

Thanks for the link to that other thread - wish I'd read that a while back.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I've been meaning to get this info on steam arms posted for the last several months and finally got around to it.

Click on either the "Go to S1 Web Site" or "Go to VII Web Site" links at the top of this page, then look part the way down the page for section "Steam Arm Replacement". Read the text and then click the link to view the PDF file with the Exploded Diagram scans.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Speaking of steam arms I see the Mini V2 uses a nozzle with .9mm holes. What size are the holes in the stock V2 & S5 steam arm nozzles. I wouldn't mind backing down the steam power a little & was thinking of trying the .9mm nozzle if it is slightly smaller.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

By now it should be clear on Chris' website that the VII ships standard with the 4 hole .9mm tip. However, it's still not clear. Initially the .9mm tip was optional and the VII description stated that. Later CC made the .9mm tip standard but left the optional statement in as well. So different parts of the VII write-up contradicted each other.

I mentioned it to Chris and he said he'd have his web dude fix it. However, I see that they actually removed the standard statement and left the optional statement in. Time to chat him again. I doubt he changed his mind as to which one is optional, but I'll check.

Based on the optional statement, a number of folks ordered the .9mm tip with their VII and ended up with two identical steam tips!
Chas
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for clearing that up! I like the stock nozzle for large milk drinks in the 20oz pitcher but wouldn't mind something tamer for Cappo size steaming in the 12oz. Guess I'll have to try just cracking the steam knob open.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

Wow, I just wasted $15. What a ripoff.

chas wrote:By now it should be clear on Chris' website that the VII ships standard with the 4 hole .9mm tip. However, it's still not clear. Initially the .9mm tip was optional and the VII description stated that. Later CC made the .9mm tip standard but left the optional statement in as well. So different parts of the VII write-up contradicted each other.

I mentioned it to Chris and he said he'd have his web dude fix it. However, I see that they actually removed the standard statement and left the optional statement in. Time to chat him again. I doubt he changed his mind as to which one is optional, but I'll check.

Based on the optional statement, a number of folks ordered the .9mm tip with their VII and ended up with two identical steam tips!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There are 2-hole tips on the page below but they require an adapter to fit on the S1 Steam Arm. The 8mm female to 10mm male adapters are also on this page. For some reason the text doesn't mention that the adapter can also be used on the S1.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/parts
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Bushrod wrote:Wow, I just wasted $15. What a ripoff.
I just heard from Chris. He says the .9mm steam tip is standard on the Mini but optional on the VII. This seems to contradict what some recent purchasers have noted on this forum.

Let us know what you find out when you get yours. If you do have the other 4-hole tip, the holes should be noticeably larger than on the optional .9mm top. I think the original tip is 1.3mm.
Last edited by chas on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I emailed Chris this morning & he says the holes in the stock S1 V2 nozzle are 1.3mm which jives with a measurement I just made of the holes. Given this info the .9mm nozzle should work better for steaming small amounts of milk.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It's certainly possible to get fine microfoam with the 1.3mm tip but it's definitely easier with the .9mm. It's like the 1.3mm tip with training wheels.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

JohnB wrote:... What size are the holes in the stock V2 & S5 steam arm nozzles...
:roll: I only know that's 1 1/4 inch longer but how's about their hole- sizes?

Cafesp
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Cafesp wrote:
:roll: I only know that's 1 1/4 inch longer but how's about their hole- sizes?

Cafesp

I emailed Chris this morning & he says the holes in the stock S1 V2 nozzle are 1.3mm which jives with a measurement I just made of the holes.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As noted above, the stock size for the V2 is 4 holes 1.3mm and the Mini is 4 holes .9mm. If you buy the optional No Burn steam arm it comes with a special 2 hole insulated tip.

I am not sure about the optional S5 arm as shipped today. When I got my S5 arm 3 years back, I think I just got the arm and it was assumed you'd use the tip you already had.
Chas
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I had forgotten that my S5 wand came with a different tip then my stock wand. Yesterday I had just measured the holes in the tip on the original wand that I don't use thinking both nozzles were the same. I just remeasured both tips & one has 1.3mm holes & the other .9mm. If I remember correctly the tip with the larger holes came on the S5 wand so my machine had to have come stock with the .9mm tip as I can't see them shipping the commercial wand with the small hole tip.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:By now it should be clear on Chris' website that the VII ships standard with the 4 hole .9mm tip. However, it's still not clear. Initially the .9mm tip was optional and the VII description stated that. Later CC made the .9mm tip standard but left the optional statement in as well. So different parts of the VII write-up contradicted each other.

Looks like you were correct & Chris was wrong on this one. I asked CC to check the machines they have in stock this morning & just received the following reply from Dallas which I have edited to remove non pertinent info.

"John I asked our service manager to check this for me and he found the new batch of machines we got in do have the .9mm tip. I apologize I didn't
know.

Dallas"

The new batch of machines mentioned arrived in late December.

John
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

To follow up a little more, the tip I wasted $15 on looks to be the same size as came on it. Sounds like a slight miscommunication.

Return to “VII General Q&A”