Introduction

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jeffb

Introduction

Post by jeffb »

Hi All!

Just purchased an S1 from Chris At Chris Coffee, should arrive, Friday!!

Have been the owner of an Isomac "Tea" for several years and it is going to Chris for a "check up" and then will be sold.

Roast my own coffee, with a Hottop, for 1 1/2 years, usuallys from Sweet Marias.

CoffeeGeeker, from waay back!!

Chas, thanks for the site, it is a great help and influenced my decision.

Look forward to conversing with all of you!!!

jeffb

:D
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Welcome. If you haven't already done so you may want to go to the S1 Web Site, download, and read the User's Manual while you're waiting.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
jeffb

User's manual

Post by jeffb »

Chas,

Thanks for the welcome!

Dowloaded, manual and have perused your site, all evening............seems to be my nature to delve into ALL the details!

Again, Thanks for the great site and very good information.

jeffb
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I noticed yesterday that Chris has recently updated his web site and he says that he's sold 150 S1s. That's 10 per month. Not bad for a home machine in this class.
Chas
Hottop P/B
jeffb

Post by jeffb »

I 'm really hoping that the S1 lives up to my expectations;

The Isomac Tea, while it served my needs and was a very good "1st" machine, was not built well. IMO the pressure stat and pump were "weak links" ; the plumbing, wiring, component placement, was "poor"; I can understand why Chris is now carrying (and had input, into the design) of the "Andreja Premium by Quick Mill".

I am a Mfg Rep for controls, motion, vision and sensors for Industrial apps and sold Electronic Temperature Control (PID) for 20 years............................am really excited about acvhieving "accurate" temp control. The "E-61" is a good solid design, but perhaps better suited to high volume; pulling just 3 shots per day, it seemed very "finicky" at times.

I believe that the ability to adjust slighly for different homeroasts will really be exciting!

ONE more day!

jeffb
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Any chance you'll make it 24 hours before the covers come off the 1st time? :twisted:
Chas
Hottop P/B
jeffb

Post by jeffb »

:D

S1 arrived in a snowstrom in Northern Indiana (Is this really the end of March?!).

Chas, didn't make it 1 hour; guage was slighly out of place from shipping, so.................................what a nicley designed machine!

Hooked up water line (braided, stainless= very nice!!)
Plugged in, turned on power; unit was programmed from Chris, as Dan Kehns article. Mazzer Mini adjusted easily, after 2 shots with stale decaf, Guat. Huetengo, homeroasted, pulled almost at Mazzer "factory setting"; drinking Americano, as I type.

Everything about this machine is elegant!!!

More initial feedback.........................later.

jeffb
jeffb

Post by jeffb »

Have seen this discussed in diffrent "threads"........no definitive answer in manual?

No backflush disk included, as you know, manual tells how to change screens and clean. Is this enough?

Thanks in advance!

jeffb
jeffb

Post by jeffb »

Chris replied.........................

"http://www.chriscoffee.com/faq

Here is a link to the FAQ section on my web site that explains everything you should know about back flushing. Are you sure you didn't get a rubber back flush disk with the machine?"

So i will use it as I used w ith "Tea".....Sorry.

jeffb
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

jeffb wrote: I am a Mfg Rep for controls, motion, vision and sensors for Industrial apps and sold Electronic Temperature Control (PID) for 20 years............................am really excited about acvhieving "accurate" temp control.
jeffb
Good to have some PID resource onboard, Jeff!
I am currently looking into that, since I believe that the S1, eventhough having electronic temp control, is only resembling a deadband controller with hysteresis. A PID controller would of course be desirable.

At this point a question for you, Chas:
You have some temperature measurements at your web site, I would be really interested in a time course over a shot (not just some average/peak measure), collecting temperature samples every few seconds. Do you already have some data on that?

Happy Easter,
Wolfgang
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

wgaggl wrote:
At this point a question for you, Chas:
You have some temperature measurements at your web site, I would be really interested in a time course over a shot (not just some average/peak measure), collecting temperature samples every few seconds. Do you already have some data on that?

Happy Easter,
Wolfgang
I don't believe my TC setup's response time is fast enough to take meaningful measurements like that.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”