Paradise Roasters Espresso Nuevo

Discussion of the merits of various green beans, where to obtain them, and how best to roast them.
ebprod

Paradise Roasters Espresso Nuevo

Post by ebprod »

I just picked up some of Paradise Roasters Espresso Nuevo green. I am going to roast it later today and would welcome any suggestions from those who have tried it. I roaster with a stir crazy/convection oven.

How far into the second crack should I go? How long of a rest does it need? What temperature should I brew at?

Thanks.

-Joe
Niko

Post by Niko »

I've never tried it so I can't wait to hear about it!
If it were me I'd try 15 seconds or so into 2nd crack right after rapid fire kicks in. Try and catch that level between Full City+ and Vienna for some nice Ristrettos :D

What roast level do they recommend?
BillK

Post by BillK »

I don't roast the Nuevo, but I do roast Paradise Classico and Reserve. I roast in a Hottop, and end my roasts as soon as I just begin to hear the first pops of second crack - about 435 deg bean mass temperature on my thermocouple. All of the Paradise espresso blends of which I am aware, with the exception of the Havana blend, are roasted by Paradise in the lighter, Northern Italian tradition.
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I am getting ready to roast my second batch of the Nuevo. The first batch was very good. Up until now I have only used Redline on my new machine. Redline was easily the best blend I used on my Isomac, but on the V2 the Nuevo holds its own very well. At this point I think I like them both equally well.

I roasted two batches, with the second one a little darker than the first. The darker roast was maybe a little better than the light, but I am also starting to play with the temperature so that may be a factor. I have it set at 94c now and it seems good.

-Joe
Niko

Post by Niko »

:bounce: :compress: :shaking2:
...how was it?
Did you roast well into 2nd crack this time did you or cut it right when it went into rapid cracks (2nd)? :?:

Did you get shorter espressos (Ristrettos of course) with the darker roast? Just wondering what the final fluid volume (in oz's) you are getting with this stuff? If you're going into the darker roast stages such as light vienna, try 92 degrees on the VII and tell us what you taste.
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I roasted it until the second crack just got going. My pours are about 1 3/4 oz.

I tried it at 92c, but it was a little sour. It was a lot better at 93c, but not bad at 94c either. Higher than that was not good either. It sure is nice having this kind of control over my machine!!

-Joe
Niko wrote::bounce: :compress: :shaking2:
...how was it?
Did you roast well into 2nd crack this time did you or cut it right when it went into rapid cracks (2nd)? :?:

Did you get shorter espressos (Ristrettos of course) with the darker roast? Just wondering what the final fluid volume (in oz's) you are getting with this stuff? If you're going into the darker roast stages such as light vienna, try 92 degrees on the VII and tell us what you taste.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sometimes 93 is the magic number, I have it on 94 most of the time but I'm getting a hankerin' to drop it to 93 again... :roll: then again 92 for some darker roasts :roll: and then 95 for some really bright ones :roll:
...I also love the control! :D

Return to “Green Beans & Their Roasting”