Any reliability issues thus far?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
DA

Post by DA »

After exhaustive research I think I've narrowed it down to the S1 or a one group commercial machine like Rancilio or Cimbali Junior. I'd like to do this once and avoid looking for another machine in 10 years. I really like the features of the S1 but wonder what comprimises may have been made to introduce a product such as this at a good price. My concern is with the long term reliability of a relatively new product like the S1. I know Chris has a great reputation and has taken great strides in fixing some of the earlier issues. It would be of great help to me if you could comment on the build quality of your machines and on any reliability issues that have surfaced so far.

Thanks

David
BobG

Post by BobG »

I have not had any reliability problems with my machine which I purchased from Chris. I had a few minor issues due to the shipment to the West Coast which Roger from Chris' Coffee helped me resolve. I have had my machine about 6 months and use my machine every single day.

I find it humorous that people who don't own the machine speculate on how the electronics are somehow problematic and will constantly break. I own many electronic products made in various parts of the world, and they break far less often than the mechanical items I own.

Bob
DA

Post by DA »

Thanks for your reply Bob. Do you leave your machine on 24/7? If not, how long does it take to warm up?

Thanks again
David
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

David -

Sometimes I leave my S1 on all day, sometimes just in economy mode (steam boiler off) and mostly I shut it down in the evening. I use a 20 amp circuit and the warm up time has surprised me tremendously. Brew group is ready in under 15 minutes and steam in another 5 minutes.

I ditto BobG's observation regarding any question of electronics reliability.

- Derek
BobG

Post by BobG »

David,

I start my machine up at the beginning of the day and shut my machine off at around 9pm each day. I have a 20 amp circuit. As Derek mentions, if you go based on when the machine says it is ready, the indicator lights tell you the group and steam are ready in about 20 minutes.

I generally wait about 40 minutes from startup to pulling the first shot because I want to make sure all the metal in the portafilter is warm (since I do not have a crotchless portafilter). I have not taken any temperature readings and the portafilter may already be plenty hot enough in 20 minutes. But since I turn on the machine right after waking up, it takes me about 40 minutes until I make it down to use the machine anyhow.

Bob
sjseattle

Post by sjseattle »

David -

I have had my S1 for about a month and have had no problems whatsoever. I purchased it from Chris Coffee and was very pleased with the shipping and the packaging. Also, I ordered the filter/plumbing kit and had no trouble installing it.

I turn my machine on in the morning - it's ready to use in 20 minutes or less. I usually brew a latte and an americano then turn off the machine. At lunch I normally brew a straight espresso so I power it on and then turn off the boiler. It's ready in 5 to 10 minutes.

The machine is very quiet and easy to use (I used to have a noisy vibrator pump machine which had a manual-fill tank). The S1 is sooo much better!

Steve
DA

Post by DA »

Thanks for all of your replies. I feel much better knowing there are so many out there that have and love their S1. Between this group and Chris it shouldn't be a problem getting help if I need it. Now to fully convince the wife and get one before the price increase.

One more question, how big is the drip tray and how often do you empty it? I'm planning on putiing it next to the sink so cleaning should be easy. Just need to make sure the electrical will work so I can use 20A mode. The outlet is in a difficult location to modify.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

First I've heard of a price increase. Any idea how much and how soon?

Chris told me recently that LaSpaz is designing a new version of the S1 that will have a plumbable drip pan. It will supposedly be possible to retrofit existing S1s though it sounds like it will require sawing out a piece of the bottom sheet metal.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
DA

Post by DA »

Chas:

It's going up $150 when he runs out of his current stock according to his website he has about 9 left. Not a good time to buy european products but it may get worse. I've been also looking at the Dalla Corte, supposedly a pourover vibe version of the S1 (new company started by some former LaSpaz people). Also no hot water wand and the temp control is not nearly as convenient but Umberto at Sovrana thinks the build quality is superior to the S1 (he carries both).

He's been very helpful but I can't see buying the S1 from anyone but Chris given his excellent track record with the S1. The DallaCorte is quite a bit cheaper and dosn't require any plumbing or electrical work but I want to get the right machine for me, not looking to buy a new one for a long time. I do think having a plumbed in machine would be much better.
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

DA wrote:Thanks for all of your replies. I feel much better knowing there are so many out there that have and love their S1. Between this group and Chris it shouldn't be a problem getting help if I need it. Now to fully convince the wife and get one before the price increase.

One more question, how big is the drip tray and how often do you empty it? I'm planning on putiing it next to the sink so cleaning should be easy. Just need to make sure the electrical will work so I can use 20A mode. The outlet is in a difficult location to modify.
Just to add my 2 cents. I run my S1 in the Economy mode off a 15a plug. Measured voltage on the line is above 120vac. I run it 24/7 otherwise I frequently forget to turn it on until just before I need it.

I empty my drip tray one or two times a day but I am a water waster - for example I rinse portafilter after knocking out puck with steam boiler water.

The electronics are very reliable. I remember when you used to buy an item and expect it to "fail". Now you expect it "not to fail".

Bob
DA

Post by DA »

Bob, are you runing an S1 set up for 20A use internally with a 15A plug?
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

DA wrote:Bob, are you runing an S1 set up for 20A use internally with a 15A plug?
Yup! I'm running it in the Economy mode. This is equivalent to changing it over to 15 amp as I understand it.

Bob
DA

Post by DA »

Bob: did you have Chris put a "15A" plug on a 20A machine ,order a 15A machine and change the jumper or switch yourself, or change the wall plug to one that would accept the 20A plug?
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

DA wrote:Bob: did you have Chris put a "15A" plug on a 20A machine ,order a 15A machine and change the jumper or switch yourself, or change the wall plug to one that would accept the 20A plug?
My machine was the one loaned to Dan Kehn for his review. He put the plug on it.

Bob
DA

Post by DA »

Bob:
Sorry to be a pain, trying to nail this down before ordering. Does your's have the standard plug or the one with one of the prongs sideways? I'm thinking of ordering the "20A" machine but have Chris put the regular plug on it and then run it in econ mode until I can get it on a dedicated circuit.
BobG

Post by BobG »

David,

If you are going to use your machine in 20 AMP mode eventually, then you should have Chris set it up in 20 amp mode which means a 20 amp plug (one prong sideways). Go buy yourself a 20 amp outlet at Home Depot or Lowe's which will be less than $5 and then run the machine in Econ Mode on your regular circuit. It always starts up in Econ Mode once you set it there unless you explicitly turn it back to regular 20 amp mode.

Bob G
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

DA wrote:Bob:
Sorry to be a pain, trying to nail this down before ordering. Does your's have the standard plug or the one with one of the prongs sideways? I'm thinking of ordering the "20A" machine but have Chris put the regular plug on it and then run it in econ mode until I can get it on a dedicated circuit.
That is exactly what I have. A standard plug with the parallel blades. I have it plugged into the 20A counter top circuit which supplies voltage at 6 duplex outlets. Plugged into the circuit in additional to my S1 is a toaster, my iRoast, two grinders, a mixer, a can opener and a vacuum sealer. The S1 is always on. The combined load of S1 and toaster doesn't trip the circuit breaker.

Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chris told me recently that he buys them all as 20A models. When somebody orders a 15A model, his techs change the plug and flip the internal mode switch.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Barry

Post by Barry »

DA, I have a 15 amp machine and have never had an issue keeping the boilers hot. In the morning, I turn the machine on around 6:00. At 6:30 I pull a double for my wife which is used to make an Americano by using about 4 oz from the steam boiler and adding about 3 oz of steamed milk. I then pull a double for myself which is used for a large latte with about 8 oz of steamed milk. I rinse the group head in between by pulling a blank shot as well. I have never had to wait for either boiler to heat up. I thought I would miss not having the 20 amp machine, but it has not been the case. The 30 minute wait is the key. Anything less and the steam boiler tends to peter out after the water is drawn for the Americano.

Regards,
Barry

Return to “General Q&A”