water overflow s1

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zedex
God Shot

water overflow s1

Post by zedex »

Hi. I have a small water issue. Now this happens maybe once every 2 weeks. When my vivaldi s1 heats up, the steam boiler overfills and leaks out onto the counter. I know its the steam boiler because we have tea in the morning and i use water from the steam boiler. Usually, i fill up 1 cup for tea, and the machine refills the steam boiler. But when it leaks all over the counter, i can fill up 3 cups of water before the boiler starts refilling. I didnt even think 3 cups was possible. After the machine refills i can use the machine for 2 weeks and machine is fine, then again. I find water all over the counter.
So i figure 1 of the water fill sensors is corroded up and overfills. Second question. When it does overfill and creates water all over the counter, where is the water leaking out of? Is there a valve of some type releasing water? Hmmmm.
Thanks.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: water overflow s1

Post by chas »

There are 3 ways that water can escape the steam boiler. 1) Loose hose or fitting 2) Vacuum Breaker Valve 3) Pressure Release Valve.

You can probably rule out #1 since that issue would likely leak continually. The VBV, assuming it is working correctly, can only leak before the water comes to a boil. Steam pressure pushes it closed in normal operation. The Pressure Release Valve would cause an explosive leak when the steam boiler pressure got too high.

The most obvious place for a leak is the Vacuum Breaker Valve while the boiler is initially heating. However, this would be the effect and not the cause. The most likely cause is that the water level sensor has either been pushed up and needs to be pushed back down and the bolt holding it tightened or it has become encrusted with minerals and needs to be removed and descaled in white vinegar or citric acid.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Thank you Chas. :grin:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Have you been able to get a handle on your specific issue yet?
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hi Chas. No not yet as i have a few more questions. I dont want to take the machine apart until i know if i will need specific seals.
So another small issue is the water dispenser dripping. I assume there may be a deposit/foreign object maybe in a solenoid?
So question 1. Will i need parts/seals when i take apart the boiler?
and 2. The dripping water dispenser,will i need parts for that? If so i will order parts first, and then tackle the tear down.
And question 3. Where can i order these parts in the US or Canada?
Thanks
Colin
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If you're still just trying to track down that leak, you only need to be removing a couple of fittings from the top of the boiler. Putting them back only requires Teflon tape wrapped around the threads. You should only need to remove the top of the boiler if you plan to descale. If you are planning that, there is a round gasket you'll need to order first. Replacing it can be a bear. The gasket sits in a groove in the lid and you'll need to pry and scrape for quite a while to get the groove completely cleaned out and ready for a new gasket.

Steam Boiler Gasket

The hot water issue must be the solenoid valve. Just try removing the valve and flushing out the fitting. Something must be stuck in there preventiing it from closing completely.
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Thanks Chas.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Gaskets are ordered.:) Its leaking daily now which is ok because i can see where the water is coming from. Its dripping directly under the left hand side of the machine where what looks like a drain fitting.When the machine comes on, the machine starts pumping water into the steam boiler and stops, and thats where its overfilling. Then the brew head boiler comes up to temp and power switches over to the steam boiler. Thats where i assume the water is dripping steadily out of the pressure valve. Once the boiler gets to temp the pressure valve closes, no more dripping. So my question Chas is. What is monitoring the water level in the steam boiler? Is it a mechanical sensor inside the boiler like a float in a car or truck fuel tank? And what is stopping the water from continually filling the steam boiler? I am going to find out when i pull it apart but until the gaskets come in i like to see in my head whats going on.
Thanks
Colin
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There's a water level sensor that sticks down into the top of the boiler. When water hits the end of the sensor, a current flows through the water to the boiler sides which are grounded. The control board detects this current flow, and turns off the pump and the solenoid valve.

Due to the way this works, you can't reliably detect a full boiler when using distilled or pure R.O. water. It may even be problematic if your water has very low mineral content. The newer Dream machines let the user adjust the water level sensitivity but the older machines can't do this.

Do you mean water is leaking out of the drain in the middle, bottom of the boiler? If so there is just a bronze cap over a threaded fitting that is welded into the bottom of the boiler. You may be able to just tighten this cap or, worst case, put some teflon tape around the threads and replace the cap.

Even if you have a slight leak, the pump may come on frequently to try and keep the boiler filled up to the tip of water level sensor, but that alone shouldn't make it overfill.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: The top of the boiler has an Over Pressure Valve (OPV) and a Vacuum Breaker Valve (VBV). The way you decribe the "Pressure Valve" is the way the Vacuum Breaker Valve is supposed to work. So if you are really talking about the VBV you are OK. And since it doesn't close until the Boiler starts generating steam pressure, if you do have an issue causing a boiler overflow, this is where water is most likely to pour out.

It is normal for the VBV to spit water and steam for up to 30 seconds before it closes.
Labelled S1 Boiler.jpg
Labelled S1 Boiler.jpg (120.01 KiB) Viewed 25852 times
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hi. Yes Chas.Im pretty sure the water is coming out of the VBV. Simply because when the machine is heating up there is a steady drip drip drip every second until finally the machine is hot enough and you hear the spitting,steaming ftt fttt ffttt at the VBV. When the spitting stops. No more dripping. So i think the overfill of water is steadily coming out of the VBV until sufficient pressure closes that valve. So am i safe to assume that the water level sensor may be corroded with deposits causing an overfill? Seems plausible. Thanks for that pic BTW.:)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You will notice an inner and an outer bolt on the water level sensor. The outer one connects the entire assembly to the boiler. The inner nut cinches a plastic insulated sleeve against the sensor. With time and heat the plastic sleeve shrinks a bit. This can allow the boiler pressure to push the water level sensor up. In this case, you can try just pushing the sensor down and then tighten the inner bolt. If that's not the issue, then loosen the inner bolt so you can pull the sensor out. Hopefully, there is a lot of mineral deposit on the bottom inch or so. If so, soak it in warm white vinegar until the minerals are loose enough to scrub off. Then install it and try again, If it still fails, you probably want to buy a new one.

Steam Boiler Water Level Sensor

The above is $18 plus shipping at CCS. Free shipping if you have other odds and ends you need to get up to $50.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: If you do end up buying a new one, you'll need to lay it side by side with the old one and cut it to the same length. This sensor is pretty universal across a number of machines. They are made long so they can be cut to the right length. It's just a metal rod; i.e. no wires inside.
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Awesome Chas. Much appreciated. I will post back once i have the machine apart and fixed.
bgour
Macchiato

Post by bgour »

I've had this problem too, twice in the ten years I've had my S1. On both occasions the level sensor looked absolutely fine but after a clean and reinstall all was well again. Unfortunately the events also played havoc with my boiler pressure gauge and now it no longer returns to zero.

I see you're in BC. If you're in the lower mainland the water here is very low TDS (as in near zero) and that likely contributes to this problem. I've recently added a calcite remineralization filter to my setup and that's given a small bump to the TDS, hopefully enough to avoid this problem in the future.
Vivaldi S1 V1, timer
Mazzer Mini
dhbdhb
Americano

Post by dhbdhb »

I have this problem too, like ones every two weeks. Lots of posts about the issue on this forum but can't seem to find much about how to resolve it. My machine is NOT grounded maybe that will fix it !? I will try...
dhbdhb
Americano

Post by dhbdhb »

The Dream machine was, like most other appliances delivered with a plug where the 'ground pin' doesnt connect with the ground connection in a Danish socket. Ideally, you cut the cord and install a 3-legged plug that fits your socket on all appliances delivered with this french/german-standard plug. I never bothered on this machine until recently. No problems since.. Weird that the problem occured only after more than a year after purchase but I'll risk it and say the problem is RESOLVED.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Bgour. Im in the Okanagan Valley.:)

Ok. Got it all apart. That steam boiler gasket is not easy to get out. :) Took about an hour to scrape it out. Holy mackerel i didnt imagine there would be about 1/2 a cup of hard deposits inside and the water sensor was pretty covered as well. All cleaned up ready to go.Took apart the steam solenoid valve and that was pretty deposited too hence the drip drip. All cleaned up. Now the coffee boiler. That big brass castle nut, if i take that nut off, looks like the element will come right out but. Will that need a special gasket because the one i got for the coffee boiler is a large rubber o ring gasket looks like for the other end of the boiler. Not the element end. How does one generally get that brass nut off? Special wrench?
Thanks
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Bad news. Got it all back together. Hooked water back up. Hit power, water started to fill boilers,and then shut off. had to unplug. Hit power again. Water filling up boilers, and water is spewing out of the over pressure valve for some reason. The only thing i took apart was the steam boiler and i only removed the top of boiler. Nothing else. Hmmm. WTF.

Im thinking the level sensor is kaput. Question. The plastic tube that surrounds the level sensor. The plastic hangs past the metal by about 1/2 an inch. Cleaning the sensor i noticed the 1/2 inch of plastic was filled with crud so i cleaned it out. Perhaps that crud was actually allowing the sensor to work. I dunno.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Yup. After taking machine apart again for curiosity purposes. Cutting the excess plastic protruding over the level sensor solved the problem. I assume the sensor should protrude into the tank between the steam output and water output spigots on the tank which it does.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Glad you were able to figure it out. BTW: I assume water was actually coming out of the Vacuum Breaker Valve and NOT the Over Pressure Valve???
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Nope. Pouring out the over pressure valve. It was pushing the valve open at it was full of water.
Right now i think the level sensor might be a bit high, because on steam wand i get more water that i used to. There is no problem dropping the sensor down? Pushing the rod down through the plastic casing?

Return to “General Q&A”