Steam Boiler Problems

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
PJNanook
Latte

Steam Boiler Problems

Post by PJNanook »

I have noticed a drop off in steam boiler pressure.

I cleaned the 4 hole tip and replaced the in tank filter. I got good pressure this morning but the boiler did not refill due to a vapor lock in the filter. (now fixed)

I have not really paid attention the steam boiler side of my gage (CL2) but now notice that it is running right at the the line between blue and green. I adjusted the the steam pressure via the front panel method. (the full three lights) It appears higher but the gage has not changed.

Any ideas?

Kevin
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Steam Boiler Problems

Post by chas »

What does the steam boiler gauge read when the boiler is cold? Is it right on zero or is the needle jammed against the peg below zero?

Is the pressure still fine for steaming in spite of the gauge?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
PJNanook
Latte

Post by PJNanook »

Thanks for the reply.

When the machine is cold, it registers in the middle of the blue. When it is hot, I checked this morning, it is on the line between blue and green.

Yesterday after I pumped up the pressure (using the front panel adjustment) the steam seemed good. I seemed if it was back to where it was before I started having trouble. We usually, only have milk drinks on Sundays. The wife has Americanos other days so the steam boiler is used daily.

Even with the increased setting, the gage did not change.

Kevin
PJNanook
Latte

Post by PJNanook »

This morning, the gage seems stuck. It did not move at all. It is in the middle of the blue. The wife got water and I checked to make sure there was steam but did not make a drink.

Edit: Spoke too soon. It eventually came up to the line between blue and green.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

This may be your only recourse.

New V2 Mini Gauge
Chas
Hottop P/B
PJNanook
Latte

Post by PJNanook »

Thanks. I was really hoping for something that simple.

I can turn a wrench but don't have much experience diagnosing espresso machines.

Kevin
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If you have plenty of steam pressure, it still sounds like you have a gauge problem. The pressure needle should be in the blue but almost to the red; i.e. 1.2-1.3 bar. If the pressure is truly right on the blue-green border, you only have 0.5bar of steam pressure.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: I discovered a website the other day that at least shows how to adjust that pressure gauge. Bottom line, if you can use and have some metric wrenches or a small adjustable wrench and a Phillips screwdriver you should be able to replace that gauge yourself.

There is a water line from each boiler that screws onto the back of the gauge and a screw/bolt at the top to fasten the gauge to the chassis frame. That's it.

Here's that article I mentioned above. They also have several other "How To" articles on servicing this machine.

Pressure Gauge Adjustment
Chas
Hottop P/B
PJNanook
Latte

Post by PJNanook »

The steam had become lower than it once was. I used the front panel adjustment and now it seems good.

I am going to try our normal Sunday drinks. If they turn out O.K. I will order the gage.

Thanks for the link and the generous help.

Kevin

Return to “Mini General Q&A”