Mini vivaldi - Steam Boiler problem

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
adrian522
Americano

Mini vivaldi - Steam Boiler problem

Post by adrian522 »

Hi, Hope someone can help me out.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the inside of the machine but I'm willing to have a look around to try to identify the problem.

The machine is a Mini vivaldi II bought in July 2016.

The problem is that the steam Boiler won't start up. When I press the boiler button it makes noise as if it is filling up but after around 90 secs it stops, all the lights go off except the boiler light and you cant do anything. If you press "boiler" again it turns off the steam boiler.

Making espresso is fine just can't use the steam boiler at the moment. any ideas what the problem may be?

I'm based in Ireland and don't know anywhere locally I can bring it for repairs.

I've taken off the front and back covers but can't see anything obviously wrong, though I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Mini vivaldi - Steam Boiler problem

Post by chas »

You have a water line blockage in the water refill path going into the boiler. The machine will not allow you to pump water out if new water doesn't flow in so that the heater element is not longer immersed in water. In that case the heater element would fry itself.

Usually mineral blockage in this line occurs in one of three places:
1) Just in front of the solenoid inside one of the fittings is a filter screen which could be clogged.
2) There is a gicleur valve right under the solenoid that can be removed by removing a nut and pulling it out for inspection
3) Sometimes a mineral deposit forms right here the water line enters the boiler. You will need to disconnect the water line at that point for inspection.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
adrian522
Americano

Post by adrian522 »

Hi, Thanks for your response. I'll look into those 3 areas and see if I can spot anything amiss.

Would I be correct in saying that the 3 areas you refer to are the same as mentioned on this thread?
https://www.s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2203
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Yes
Chas
Hottop P/B
JerDGold
Latte

Post by JerDGold »

chas wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 am You have a water line blockage in the water refill path going into the boiler. The machine will not allow you to pump water out if new water doesn't flow in so that the heater element is not longer immersed in water. In that case the heater element would fry itself.

Usually mineral blockage in this line occurs in one of three places:
1) Just in front of the solenoid inside one of the fittings is a filter screen which could be clogged.
2) There is a gicleur valve right under the solenoid that can be removed by removing a nut and pulling it out for inspection
3) Sometimes a mineral deposit forms right here the water line enters the boiler. You will need to disconnect the water line at that point for inspection.
We appear to have two threads running about the same issue, so I'll reply here as it is more active.

I'm working on where the water line enters the boiler first, since it seemed to be the easiest to remove. I disconnected both sides and removed the right angle plug on the boiler. It seems clogged, since I can barely (although some does go through) blow through it with my mouth. I'm soaking it in vinegar now to break up mineral deposits.

However, while unscrewing it with a wrench (it was super hard) I destroyed the plastic water line, so will need to buy a new one. Is this a simple home depot purchase or something I need to buy online?

Will open and look at the other points later today as well I hope, this is more difficult than I thought it would be :grin:

P.S. Thank you Chas for your never ending patience and knowledge about these machines.
JerDGold
Latte

Post by JerDGold »

So I'm not sure if I'm opening and looking at the correct things here. Obviously I got the fresh water intake line out and inspected. However, I cannot for the life of me find the fitting with the filter screen. Incidentally, my machine looks different than whatever machine was pictured in this thread. https://www.s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2203. I will post some photos tonight of what I've done and hopefully more help will be forthcoming.

That being said, it will be some time before I can test my machine since I need to buy a new hose and possible new fittings for my fresh water intake.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Yes, the photos will be different than your machine. They are of my machine and I've never owned a Mini. The Mini may not have a screen. At any rate it sounds like you've found the clog. I've never had to replace that plastic tubing so I don't know what size it is or who might carry it.

The very early S1s were much preferable when all the lines were copper other than Chris Coffee Service in the US. My current main machine is a LM GS/3 which still uses copper tubing throughout, so I am not sure how widespread in the industry use of the plastic tubing is.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CincyJeremy
Freeze Dried

Post by CincyJeremy »

Sorry to revive an essentially dead thread, I 've got this exact issue on a Vivaldi II S1. Is there a disassembly guide to getting to this?

I've inherited the machine after it sat for two years, plugged in and plumbed without being used.

I have no clue how to disassemble. I'm very handy, so not concerned in that regard, just don't know where to begin on getting to these 3 areas.

Cheers!

Jeremy
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In order to get to the area where you can access those locations, you need to remove the top, sides, and read cover in the order below.

1) Top warming tray - one screw, front middle
2) Side Panels - with top tray removed you can access the two top screws on each side, there is one knurled knob on the bottom front of each side accessible with the drip tray removed. Then tip up the machine - one side at a time and loosen the two screws on the bottom. You should them be able to pop the side panels off.
3) The rear panel has two screws on the top and two on the bottom where you need tip the machine forward and then loosen the screws. Then the rear panel should pop off.

Caveats: Depending on the exact age of your machine, they have changed the way the panels are attached a couple of times, but the above instructions should be close enough to get you through it.

It's actually not too bad removing all the panels. However, getting the side panels realigned and reattached can be a PITA. Sometime it goes really smooth and other times you will be tearing your hair out in frustration.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CincyJeremy
Freeze Dried

Post by CincyJeremy »

Interesting follow up - after perusing the site and digging into as much info as I could - I made the jump and pulled all of the panels off for both a good cleaning and to familiarize myself with everything.

Long story short, steam boiler was full of scale and crud. Was able to get a lot out via the drain, but still wouldn't fill. Then, I removed the fill line connection (the little elbow) and it was completely blocked.

Soaked in vinegar for 20 minutes, and voila! no alarms!

Then, with the drain plug off of the steam boiler, I turned the machine on and let water flush the boiler. So much crap fell out..made me feel much better!

I'm glad I'm handy enough to do all of this, as well as having the unnecessary amount of tools that I do :-)

Cheers everyone, looking forward to many a discussion, as it were.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”